D90 vs D300 Nightshoot ISO3200 w/o crop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have a single camera that is light and can handle video for travel. Problem is, the video mode on the D90 is still Nikon's first attempt (no AF and no AE) and I am sure the next model (D95?) will have better video functionality. Hence, I am reluctant to get the D90 knowing that it will be a "bridge" camera for me.

My plan is to upgrade from the D300 to the high-resolution FF (D800?) in perhaps 2-3 years. I will then trade-in the D300 since it would be redundant (the crop mode of a 24MP FF should be ard 12MP!) and get the D95 with fully-functioning video as a back-up and travel cam! Hope my plans come true!

I would love to have a single camera that is light and can handle video for travel. Problem is, the video mode on the D90 is still Nikon's first attempt (no AF and no AE) and I am sure the next model (D95?) will have better video functionality. Hence, I am reluctant to get the D90 knowing that it will be a "bridge" camera for me.

My plan is to upgrade from the D300 to the high-resolution FF (D800?) in perhaps 2-3 years. I will then trade-in the D300 since it would be redundant (the crop mode of a 24MP FF should be ard 12MP!) and get the D95 with fully-functioning video as a back-up and travel cam! Hope my plans come true!

i tink e video produced by D90 looks jerky compared to those made on canon 5D mark II ?

i tink e video produced by D90 looks jerky compared to those made on canon 5D mark II ?

the 5D mark II is recording at 1080P reso and at 30fps, d90 is 720p and 24fps if im not mistaken.

I think one of our members also did a high iso noise test among the d700, d300 and d90.
the d700 came out on top, followed by the d90 then the d300.

Hi

Just would like to share some one else experience. A friend was in a similar position one and the half year back. She was deciding on a D200 or D80. After much consideration, she bought the D200 for $2.2k. Then D80 kit was $1700.

Fast foward to today, the D200 most likely would fetch $1k used and the D80 kit $900 more or less . Her D200 depreciated $1.2k as compared to D80 $800. When I ask her if she were to make the choice again, what would she take.

Her answer is simple, she will take D80. She says its is not the depreciation that matters. After she bought the D200 which is better, she found it to be a little heavy. She would take D80 because she would taken out the camera for shooting more often.

When I asked her just now if she would like to get the D90, she said not now. She don't see herself using those additional benefit. I guess she is wiser now.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi

Just would like to share some one else experience. A friend was in a similar position one and the half year back. She was deciding on a D200 or D80. After much consideration, she bought the D200 for $2.2k. Then D80 kit was $1700.

Fast foward to today, the D200 most likely would fetch $1k used and the D80 kit $900 more or less . Her D200 depreciated $1.2k as compared to D80 $800. When I ask her if she were to make the choice again, what would she take.

Her answer is simple, she will take D80. She says its is not the depreciation that matters. After she bought the D200 which is better, she found it to be a little heavy. She would take D80 because she would taken out the camera for shooting more often. When I ask her why she got the D200 instead, she said that it was the better camera.

When I asked her just now if she would like to get the D90, she said not now. She don't see herself using those additional benefit. I guess she is wiser now.

Cheers

I certainly agree. For girls, I definitely recommend the lighter D80/D90 over the heavier D200/D300.

It may be useful to have a lighter camera for travelling use but how often do we travel? Once or perhaps twice a year? That's why I decided I wouldn't choose my main camera based on that logic alone. Compared to a tripod, the extra 200g is not material. Even a good Nikon lens like the 17-55 can weight several hundred grams more than a third party equivalent. At a future date, I may get a back-up camera which is lighter and can be used for travel but that's only if i decide to upgrade to the even heavier D700x/D800. As it is, i am comfortable with the D300 for travel.

Last edited:
I've the D200 and will be buying the D90 for travel as it's much more lighter.

I'm just waiting for the Nikon GPS GP-1 solution to materialise and hopefully the price will be in the terra firma range.

lighter doesnt mean only for oversea trips/ travelling. It also benefits those who bring dslr everyday everywhere they go. I use a d40 and i am thankful it is light to lighten the already heavy load of a 12" laptop, 18-200 or 18-55 and sb600.

D90 video has AE, just that there is no AF.:)

oh, i guess i didn't read too carefully....i had the impression that you had to lock the exposure before the video taping starts and it remains unchanged during the shooting rather than adjusting automatically to changes in lighting

lighter doesnt mean only for oversea trips/ travelling. It also benefits those who bring dslr everyday everywhere they go. I use a d40 and i am thankful it is light to lighten the already heavy load of a 12" laptop, 18-200 or 18-55 and sb600.

that's true - i can understand your position. ultimately, it's a trade-off. if we can have the quality of a D700 in a D40 size and weight, that would be great. since there's no such thing, we each have to decide the balance that suits us and our style of photography

U can choose to AE lock or not. But with AE, you will get the rolling shutter artifact (Partial Exposure) when there is flashlights or lightning going on. This is universal to all CMOS video machine using rolling shutter, not unique to D90.:)

oh, i guess i didn't read too carefully....i had the impression that you had to lock the exposure before the video taping starts and it remains unchanged during the shooting rather than adjusting automatically to changes in lighting

I'm getting the ball rolling...

Images are linked to Flickr pages.
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, exposure bias (if any)
Picture Control: Standard with Sharpening: 5/9 and Saturation: +1
Active D-Lighting: Auto except for one using Extra High (mentioned in the description)
sRGB
Auto WB
JPEG Normal setting
ISO set manually
Almost all are taken with multi-pattern metering mode except for some: check the EXIF properties to confirm.
Tall photos are rotated in Windows (XP) Explorer.

1/10 5.6 4000 -0.7

1/15 3.5 1600 -2

1/13 3.8 800

Full-res photos available on the Flickr page (click on the "All Sizes" icon and then "Original")

Last edited:
hi hi

to t/s:

based on the link to kenrockwell provided by boyboy, u'll have to buy the d90.

but just going by performance at iso3200, i feel u mite be losing out on getting a better camera (the d300, that is).

perhaps go down to your fave shop, bring a laptop even, and shoot some pics to convince yourself. seriously, nothing beats your own 'shoot-out'.

what u say is true. but based on TS's requirements, i'd say d90, between these two :)

Have read the report link by hellboy!]http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/iso-3200.htm
D90 performance in ISO really surprise mi!!

Hi,have read this article.Juz one question?8fps and 51 pt autofocus with 3d tracking?at what scenario do we need to use this setting and function?btw,have u ever manage to capture 51 pt autofocus on any of yr shoots.can post to share share?hehe

who is hellboy ah? :bsmilie:

i use 51 point AF for sports, candids (sometimes). otherwise i much prefer to manually select AF.

51 points, 50 ways to go wrong, sometimes :nono:. must use with discretion.

I'm getting the ball rolling...

Images are linked to Flickr pages.
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, exposure bias (if any)
Picture Control: Standard with Sharpening: 5/9 and Saturation: +1
Active D-Lighting: Auto except for one using Extra High (mentioned in the description)
sRGB
Auto WB
JPEG Normal setting
ISO set manually
Almost all are taken with multi-pattern metering mode except for some: check the EXIF properties to confirm.
Tall photos are rotated in Windows (XP) Explorer.

1/10 5.6 4000 -0.7

1/15 3.5 1600 -2

1/13 3.8 800

Full-res photos available on the Flickr page (click on the "All Sizes" icon and then "Original")

Hi blue_quartz,
Thanks for spending yr precious time to upload these images.I have downloaded all the orignal size images to view FULL screen on my 22 inch LCD.

R u using the provided kit lens, 18-105mm VR?:)

Yup, kit lens. No post-processing, straight from camera. Shot without tripod, the third one (ISO800) was shot with only my right hand, whereas the other two had my left hand stabilising the camera as well.

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all your valuable infos and pictures with mi.

Finally i have make up my decision and bought a
D300

Cheers!!!:)

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all your valuable infos and pictures with mi.

Finally i have make up my decision and bought a
D300

Cheers!!!:)

gratz!

happy u purchased a nikon (doesn't matter d90 or d300 really. these 2 years, esp after the d300, nikon has been the better dslr maker)

now to shoot and shoot!

gratz!

happy u purchased a nikon (doesn't matter d90 or d300 really. these 2 years, esp after the d300, nikon has been the better dslr maker)

now to shoot and shoot!

3 cheers for Nikon!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.