D90 vs D300 Nightshoot ISO3200 w/o crop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergmax

Jun 12, 2008
Hi there,

Considering to get either D300 or D90 by end of this month.
Your results posted will help in my decision on which camera (D90 or D300) to choose.

My decision making is based on nightshoot (landscape or protrait) at iso3200 w/o crop (showing full image)

Im am only concern about nightshoot and my budget only allow up to the price of D300 (including lens and flash)
*if though i know D700 gives a better iso control but not enough $$$ to buy FX lens..hehe..

Can post yr samples here for sharing?:)

Last edited:
Get the D300, cmos sensor as compared to ccd, better noise control and think the highest usable photo you can get on D90 is at iso 1600, any higher the noise is unbearable. Pardon for my humble opinions.

Err... the D90 *has* a CMOS sensor too, and said to be similar to the sensor from the D300.
There has even been reports that the high ISO performance of the D90 is similar (and a few say better) than the D300.

Get the D300, cmos sensor as compared to ccd, better noise control and think the highest usable photo you can get on D90 is at iso 1600, any higher the noise is unbearable. Pardon for my humble opinions.

Please refer to the following post...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402160&page=38

What is your definition of unbearable noise? For me, even the D80's 1600 is still 'bearable'. And the D90 has better off-camera (jpeg) iso control than D300. The D90 can go up to ISO6400.

Check this out: 12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor , found on the dpreview website for D90. Its a CMOS sensor...not a CCD sensor.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/iso-3200.htm

read this. I find his nikon vs nikon comparos quite objective.

btw, i own a d300.

my take? unless u NEED 8fps and 51 pt autofocus with 3d tracking, go for d90. :thumbsup:

i went for d300 when d90 wasn't out yet. the high iso-wise i'm not so impressed by d90 that i'd choose d90 over d300 just for that reason.

however, if i were to buy now, my decision might be so much harder :bsmilie:

depends on what u shoot. i sometimes do sports so fast autofocus n fps is slightly more important. i'd go for d3 but no $$$$$.

Never do your homework ................. comment invalid ............... :bsmilie:

want to say say properly, dont know dont anyhow say.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Never do your homework ................. comment invalid ............... :bsmilie:

hi hi

My decision making is based on nightshoot (landscape or protrait) at iso3200 w/o crop (showing full image)

to t/s:

based on the link to kenrockwell provided by boyboy, u'll have to buy the d90.

but just going by performance at iso3200, i feel u mite be losing out on getting a better camera (the d300, that is).

perhaps go down to your fave shop, bring a laptop even, and shoot some pics to convince yourself. seriously, nothing beats your own 'shoot-out'.

if u already have some lenses, go down to nikon showroom in fuji xerox tower, mount the lens and use ur own memory card, shoot the same scene on the spot and take home compare... i tried the D700 there like that... friendly sales person there too to help out ;)

When u say nightshoot....mostly is landscape & general photography at night right??
If that's the case the D90 is more than enough to satisfy your needs :)
Though the difference is rather small....but I would say D90's ISO3200 is still better than the D300.

Err... the D90 *has* a CMOS sensor too, and said to be similar to the sensor from the D300.
There has even been reports that the high ISO performance of the D90 is similar (and a few say better) than the D300.

Have read the report link by hellboy!]http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/iso-3200.htm
D90 performance in ISO really surprise mi!!

Please refer to the following post...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402160&page=38

What is your definition of unbearable noise? For me, even the D80's 1600 is still 'bearable'. And the D90 has better off-camera (jpeg) iso control than D300. The D90 can go up to ISO6400.

Check this out: 12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor , found on the dpreview website for D90. Its a CMOS sensor...not a CCD sensor.

My definition of unbearable noise is: if looking at the image on my 22 inch samsung LCD at full screen (playing slideshow) of a ISO3200 night shoot still can see noise,that is unbearable.
But i am not sure if i would ever need to turn to iso 3200 to shoot night images but just to play safe.Im i too picky?hehe..really feel sad to see nice taken photos with nosie in it.

btw, i own a d300.

my take? unless u NEED 8fps and 51 pt autofocus with 3d tracking, go for d90. :thumbsup:

i went for d300 when d90 wasn't out yet. the high iso-wise i'm not so impressed by d90 that i'd choose d90 over d300 just for that reason.

depends on what u shoot. i sometimes do sports so fast autofocus n fps is slightly more important. i'd go for d3 but no $$$$$.

Hi,have read this article.Juz one question?8fps and 51 pt autofocus with 3d tracking?at what scenario do we need to use this setting and function?btw,have u ever manage to capture 51 pt autofocus on any of yr shoots.can post to share share?hehe

hi hi

to t/s:

based on the link to kenrockwell provided by boyboy, u'll have to buy the d90.

but just going by performance at iso3200, i feel u mite be losing out on getting a better camera (the d300, that is).

perhaps go down to your fave shop, bring a laptop even, and shoot some pics to convince yourself. seriously, nothing beats your own 'shoot-out'.

Thanks for the good advice!!:)

if u already have some lenses, go down to nikon showroom in fuji xerox tower, mount the lens and use ur own memory card, shoot the same scene on the spot and take home compare... i tried the D700 there like that... friendly sales person there too to help out ;)

Oh!can bring our own memory card?very good nikon customer service!!!too bad they close at 7pm,cant wait for sunset to test out my query on both D90 vs D300 ISO3200 settings..hehe..

Last edited:
When u say nightshoot....mostly is landscape & general photography at night right??
If that's the case the D90 is more than enough to satisfy your needs :)
Though the difference is rather small....but I would say D90's ISO3200 is still better than the D300.

Yup!u r right!!!I personally perfer to get D90 compare to D300 in terms of attractive price (with lens included),movie functions and A,S,P settings but my concern is, for landscape & general photography at night, what is lacking in D90 which cannot be compensate by D300 (only talking about night shoot)

Hi,have read this article.Juz one question?8fps and 51 pt autofocus with 3d tracking?at what scenario do we need to use this setting and function?btw,have u ever manage to capture 51 pt autofocus on any of yr shoots.can post to share share?hehe

Hmm... hyperactive kids? :p In my layman (haha) interpretation, 51 points simply means the D300 can focus faster and perhaps a wee bit more accurate than the "standard" 11-point af on the D90.

I got my hands on my D90 too! S$1690 after GST! :vhappy:

BTW, I heard someone got at 1650? After GST? Which shop?

Yup!u r right!!!I personally perfer to get D90 compare to D300 in terms of attractive price (with lens included),movie functions and A,S,P settings but my concern is, for landscape & general photography at night, what is lacking in D90 which cannot be compensate by D300 (only talking about night shoot)

well, if you want to do interval shooting, the D300 has an intervalometer. other than that, if you are taking scenery and slow-moving objects, the IQ even at high-ISO shd not be worse than the D300. get the D300 if you need weather sealing, robust metal-framed body, fast tracking AF, possibly better metering. otherwise, the D90 would be the better and cheaper choice. btw, i decided on the D300 because it represents the peak of the DX format cameras and i can't see them being improved much further. It should last me a couple of years until the D800(?) is available and cheap enough.

Last edited:
Just to add another point, D300 is slightly heavier and bigger. It has a better feel. But if you like to travel, D90 would be a more compact camera to go around.

There is a challenger booth at parkway(next to the info counter), D90 and D300 will be there till Sunday. Go check out which you prefer, think they close at 9pm. remember to bring your memory card

Hopes that help.

D90 also has 3D tracking, but on the 11 AF points and not 51 AF points.:)

btw, i own a d300.

Hi, I am also at the crossroad of whether to get a D300 or the new D90. The price gap of these two models is around $800 - $900 (comparing body only). Given that both models are similiar in picture quality (using the "same" sensor), the question then is really whether the need for extra advantages of D300 in terms of faster focusing, faster frame rate & weather sealed body. They are to be weighed against the pluses of D90's: HD movies and lighter weight for travelling.

These are my opinions. :)

Cheers!

from an unbiased pt of view, u can refer to www.dcresource.com which i always go der to admire D300 night shot performance...

take note D90 night performance in this web review, e weather was nt as favourable to the photographer...

but D300 seem to retain much more details den D90, showing lower noise as well.. :)

well, for landscape nite photography, shldn ISo100-200 with a tripod a more ideal setting than using high iso which smears details?

Last edited:
I have used a D300 for a outdoor event shoot (half day). I used it with a 70-300VR and 17-55 and it was well balanced in terms of weight. The larger grip gave my finger less stress. With the smaller grip of the D80 (similar body to D90), my fingers get strained as I have to grip stronger at the fingertips . Also, the weight balance of the D80/17-55 combo was not ideal. So although overall heavier, I find for me, the D300 is a better camera to handle, especially with heavier lenses.

But after ready the review and specs of D90, it is a compelling option indeed. I can understand the dilemma of potential buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.