D700 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
D700 ...made in? Thailand? Malaysia? or japan?

it's difficult to talk about pricing, esp for SG. for now, the local office cannot givea definite pricing, and with the US currency flactuating, it's still unclear how much it will be when stores start selling it. but one thing is for sure, the specifications for the D700 look good and the competition is going to heat up this year IF Sony unveils the A900 at Photokina.

If these images are really took with the D700 then it is nothing to sing about -

http://review.fengniao.com/98/980967.html

They are horrible.

First photo is kinda funny because it seems like the model is giving the finger (j/k). Seriously, its a very nice camera for all the FX lenses out there and it doesn't have the D3's heft.

Hi Leonard, thanks for the update on the D700. Wondering if you could offer a quick rundown on your opinions between the D700 vs D3? Thanks.
Fred

heng I invested all in FX lenses and now can reap the reward... esp. for my 17-35 ;p

It's like a girl waiting 10 years for a boyfriend to come back from overseas medical studies. Meanwhile, a lot of other good handsome suitors may have passed her way. Now the boyfriend is finally back and is a qualified doctor.

But then, can the relationship last? Could any of the earlier guys be a better husband for her?

Moral of the story is, while you are holding on to your FX dream, could you have missed some good shots if you had a DX lens. And, do you expect your 17-35 to last forever?

I enjoyed, and still enjoy my DX lenses. They served me very well while I had them and I intend to keep them even when I move to FX in the future.:)

Looks like the two main advantages over D3 is the built in flash and the self cleaning sensor.

is 50 and 85mm prime compatible with FX (without cropping)?
can i assume all lenses NOT listed as DX in the nikon product listing can be used with FX body without cropping? (i know can use DX lens but it's cropped)

is 50 and 85mm prime compatible with FX (without cropping)?
can i assume all lenses NOT listed as DX in the nikon product listing can be used with FX body without cropping? (i know can use DX lens but it's cropped)

YES FX ~ FF

Will it make the D3 redundant? :think:

Looks like the two main advantages over D3 is the built in flash and the self cleaning sensor.

Beside the Dual CF Card Slots I can't find any reasons why pay $2000 more for the D3. If given the choice again, I will go for the D700 instead.With the extra $2K,I can top up a few hundred & buy the 12-24 F2.8 or the 24-70 F2.8 lens.

Talking about the 24-70 F2.8, I think it will be going to go out of stock again in sg when D700 is here.:bsmilie:

Beside the Dual CF Card Slots I can't find any reasons why pay $2000 more for the D3. If given the choice again, I will go for the D700 instead.With the extra $2K,I can top up a few hundred & buy the 12-24 F2.8 or the 24-70 F2.8 lens.

Talking about the 24-70 F2.8, I think it will be going to go out of stock again in sg when D700 is here.:bsmilie:

Call me nuts but I'll pay the extra for a D3 for the following reasons:

1. Not 100% viewfinder!
2. FPS cannot be pushed to 11FPS if needed (I love breakneck speeds, maybe due to my photography history)
3. Dual CF cards (Duh)
4. No shutter lag for 14bit RAW (let's assume D700 is same as D300 in this area)
5. No slight lag for 51pt 3d autofocus (let's assume the D700 is also the same as the D300 in this area)

Points 1, 4, 5 are pretty important for me.

Call me nuts but I'll pay the extra for a D3 for the following reasons:

1. Not 100% viewfinder!
2. FPS cannot be pushed to 11FPS if needed (I love breakneck speeds, maybe due to my photography history)
3. Dual CF cards (Duh)
4. No shutter lag for 14bit RAW (let's assume D700 is same as D300 in this area)
5. No slight lag for 51pt 3d autofocus (let's assume the D700 is also the same as the D300 in this area)

Points 1, 4, 5 are pretty important for me.

wow, sounds like i can save the $$ for a D3 upgrade with a D700 purchase!

one man's meat, another's poison!:bsmilie:

each body will serve individual needs of the photographer. i don't shoot sports so high frame speed is something i don't need. but whether i need FX or will DX be sufficient for me remains to be seen.

another 'what if' should nikon issue a replacement for the D80 in both DX and FX offerings. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.