D600 Do You Have Spot/Oil Issue?

D600 Do You Have Spot/Oil Issue?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've managed to get the shutter replacement for my D600 couple of weeks ago before the expiry. Waited for the stock for about 2 weeks. Dont know if it is the same as the D610. Still too early to see the result after replacement.

Just curious, is the D610 immuned from the dust and oil issue? Any first hand report of any findings?

sorry just wanna clarify… for dslr even mirrorless isn't dust always an issue since we need to detach our lenses from the body occasionally… dust can just get in right?.. i used dslr from other brands before all will have dust settling on the sensor after a while…. so even by changing the shutter doesn't mean it will be clean right?… even if sensor is dirty doesn't mean its because of a faulty camera or shutter right??..

sorry just wanna clarify… for dslr even mirrorless isn't dust always an issue since we need to detach our lenses from the body occasionally… dust can just get in right?.. i used dslr from other brands before all will have dust settling on the sensor after a while…. so even by changing the shutter doesn't mean it will be clean right?… even if sensor is dirty doesn't mean its because of a faulty camera or shutter right??..

Hmmm...dust specks seen on sensor even though mirror is sparkling clean and dust-free...what does that tell you about the D600 dust issue...

ohz… posts in the internet i chance upon never mention about mirror… check thru viewfinder to find out??...

If you know how a DSLR works, the image on the viewfinder is reflected off the mirror to the eye. The viewfinder only tells you what is reflected off the mirror, not what is captured by the sensor. If the mirror is clean, the viewfinder will also show clean, but the sensor may not be clean.

Yes, dust is part and parcel of digital photography. Using a blower and sensor cleaning is part and parcel of using inchangable camera systems.

If one is so sensitive to dust, going for non interchangable lens cameras might ne a good option.

Last edited:
Yeah but that's not the issue people complain about. They complain about lubricant splashes and sticky debris you can't blow off with a blower and which doesn't even go away with a sensor brush in some cases. The thread title says it all, this isn't about dust.

Last edited:
Yes, dust is part and parcel of digital photography. Using a blower and sensor cleaning is part and parcel of using inchangable camera systems.

If one is so sensitive to dust, going for non interchangable lens cameras might ne a good option.

Lol 'sensitive to dust'..

Lol 'sensitive to dust'..

You should see some of the threads here... People seems to freak out about dust. A good friend of mine who does repairs, told me that he gets calls in the middle of the night, with the callers telling him they can't sleep because they found some dust in their lenses. No joke, true story.

You should see some of the threads here... People seems to freak out about dust. A good friend of mine who does repairs, told me that he gets calls in the middle of the night, with the callers telling him they can't sleep because they found some dust in their lenses. No joke, true story.

Wow sounds like ur fren is having some good business lol!!

Just curious. How to clean all the dirt and sticky lube off the sensor, use IPA or acetone or lighter fluid?

Wow sounds like ur fren is having some good business lol!!

His business is very good, but he needs sleep as well. He is often so overloaded that he has to stop taking new stuff in to fix, many people in CS very worried.

Sensor cleaning fluid and sensor swabs... this is one of the more popular ones.. http://photosol.com/

Thanks for the info. I was thinking DIY cause some of the common cleaning fluid or solvent are widely available and don't cost much. I don't think the commercial cleaning fluid are specially formulated, most contain de-ionized water mix with IPA or 99.9% IPA, as long as it does not leaves any residual.
The sensor is not so easily scratch and can use a cotton swap as long as doing it gently. So this may be a way for D600 owner to clean their own sensor. Just my thought. Thanks

My D600 is about 3 months old and after 5000+ shots, I had 4 dust spots that can be blown away except for 1 stubborn, which was picked up with a new lenspen. Don't seems to be oil stains. I personally don't think this is any worse than my the other bodies.

I sent my D600 to nikon asking for sensor cleaning after 5000 shutter click before warranty end, well nikon replace my shutter.
Maybe the new shutter solve the "oil" issue.
Now my shutter count start from 1000 again.

I sent my D600 to nikon asking for sensor cleaning after 5000 shutter click before warranty end, well nikon replace my shutter.
Maybe the new shutter solve the "oil" issue.
Now my shutter count start from 1000 again.

Mine still have some spots. Too lazy to check if dust or oil. Will send in again for cleaning then see.

Anyway my prior battery issue surfaced again, after Nikon swapped a new battery for me, in less than using 5 times, the battery life bar jumped from 0 to 1 again.

My friend's 11 months old battery still showing 0.

Don't know if it's my D600 having issues or not. My D4 batteries are all still at 0 after more than a year.

I bought D600 with serial number starting with 804xxxxxx in July 2013.
After 3000 clicks I started to see oil spots (not cleanable by air blower). Now has changed the shutter mechanism.

No spots so far after 500 clicks. Will report again after few more thousand clicks.

anyone been to NSC recently with their D600?

heard they are quite lax abt this and offer to change shutter once they know is d600, don't even need to see the sensor dirty or not

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.