Computer hang while starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its working now. Man, this is driving me crazy!:flush:

Fret not... I have a 10 years old desktop. Same prob. Just take out the RAM and use a eraser to scrub it. Works for me~~!

Fret not... I have a 10 years old desktop. Same prob. Just take out the RAM and use a eraser to scrub it. Works for me~~!
I did that also before I did the recovery. Now it seems fine again. Will wait & see if it screw up again tomorrow

Have you tried the Russian method? ;p
I even tried the communist method ......................:bsmilie: Anyway, it screwed up again today. Looks like its a goner..............................:cry:

Actually, I wanted to recommend you to do a System Restore but from previous experiences, it doesn't do that much help. It only cures the problem for a while before things go haywire again.

Try to reinstall Windows and see how it goes. If things go sour, the most likely its a hardware issue.

If you suspect is the memory issue, you can start by installing a single strip of RAM first. If it works well for a day, then add the second strip ....

This will help you to narrow down which piece of RAM is possible cause of the problem.

Actually, I wanted to recommend you to do a System Restore but from previous experiences, it doesn't do that much help. It only cures the problem for a while before things go haywire again.
Try to reinstall Windows and see how it goes. If things go sour, the most likely its a hardware issue.
You are right, I did a system restore. It worked for a day & hung itself again. Thank you hazmee
If you suspect is the memory issue, you can start by installing a single strip of RAM first. If it works well for a day, then add the second strip ....
This will help you to narrow down which piece of RAM is possible cause of the problem.
Its not the memory issue. Think its HDD failure. Anyway, I gave up on it. Thank you ola

Do you have any usb items plugged into that com? If yes, remove all of them. For some reason, a bad usb device can cause issues like sudden unrecoverable freezing of com, sudden self reset or totally non responsive mouse.

Do you have any usb items plugged into that com? If yes, remove all of them. For some reason, a bad usb device can cause issues like sudden unrecoverable freezing of com, sudden self reset or totally non responsive mouse.
Even after doing a recovery, without any usb attached, except for the original wireless usb mouse & keyboard, it hung when starting up, hung when finished loading, hung when left idle for awhile, like you said a totally non responsive mouse. If it works, it can go on for the whole day. After shut down & restart, the problem starts again. Thank you newbieincs

Think it might be the Vista Home software, me and some of my friends have the same problem also. I did a defrg of the system a few times ( first few times hang half way ) and now it is OK, you may want to give this a try.

You are right, I did a system restore. It worked for a day & hung itself again. Thank you hazmee

Its not the memory issue. Think its HDD failure. Anyway, I gave up on it. Thank you ola

Even after doing a recovery, without any usb attached, except for the original wireless usb mouse & keyboard, it hung when starting up, hung when finished loading, hung when left idle for awhile, like you said a totally non responsive mouse. If it works, it can go on for the whole day. After shut down & restart, the problem starts again. Thank you newbieincs

Hope I'm not too late here. If you turn on your comp and you don't hear any unusual beep other than the post beep then your hardware is fine. Trouble is usually one of the file or registry get corrupted and this happens easily in Vista. When that happens, some programs would not work no matter how many times you uninstall or re-install. Some USB devices would not work.

Try this:
(1) Get a PE2.0 disk and boot your comp with this. If you do not see any unusual behaviour then it is confirmed your OS is corrupted. No need to buy a HDD. If it is your HDD going kaput, you won't have happy happy ON, happy happy OFF.
(2) Don't do a recovery unless your original image is perfect. If it is home made recovery disk then ditch it. If it is factory issued recovery disk then use it. Otherwise follow step (3) to (6).
(3) Back up your data from "My Document: folder.
(4) Use Original Vista Disk. Boot up with it and delete all the partition.
(5) Reinstall your OS and SP1 & 2.
(6) Reinstall all your camera drivers and programs.

Hope that works.

Hope I'm not too late here. If you turn on your comp and you don't hear any unusual beep other than the post beep then your hardware is fine. Trouble is usually one of the file or registry get corrupted and this happens easily in Vista. When that happens, some programs would not work no matter how many times you uninstall or re-install. Some USB devices would not work.

Try this:
(1) Get a PE2.0 disk and boot your comp with this. If you do not see any unusual behaviour then it is confirmed your OS is corrupted. No need to buy a HDD. If it is your HDD going kaput, you won't have happy happy ON, happy happy OFF.
(2) Don't do a recovery unless your original image is perfect. If it is home made recovery disk then ditch it. If it is factory issued recovery disk then use it. Otherwise follow step (3) to (6).
(3) Back up your data from "My Document: folder.
(4) Use Original Vista Disk. Boot up with it and delete all the partition.
(5) Reinstall your OS and SP1 & 2.
(6) Reinstall all your camera drivers and programs.

Hope that works.

Thank you hotwork77. I hear the usual beep. Called the agent, did a system recovery with the back up disc, it work for a day, then hang & it goes on like can start, then hang, & so on. My datas are still intact but have already made backup before 'committing suicide', hehe.
Don't know if I could use Windows XP to re-start as in re-format the HDD & install the XP, instead of using the yucky Vista. Coz for this comp, all programs are pre installed & don't have the individual originals cds.

Seems that you have tried almost everything but problem still occurs. Based on my past experiences hang or froze could be due to the main power supply of the CPU. Probably at less than $50 you could get a good brand. And some came with two fans to cool the interior of your CPU.

Just sharing.:)

Seems that you have tried almost everything but problem still occurs. Based on my past experiences hang or froze could be due to the main power supply of the CPU. Probably at less than $50 you could get a good brand. And some came with two fans to cool the interior of your CPU.
Just sharing.:)
Thank you princej. There are so many possibilities to it, but really don't know which is the main culprit. The CPU should be cool enough coz a big stand fan is cooling it

Thank you hotwork77. I hear the usual beep. Called the agent, did a system recovery with the back up disc, it work for a day, then hang & it goes on like can start, then hang, & so on. My datas are still intact but have already made backup before 'committing suicide', hehe.
Don't know if I could use Windows XP to re-start as in re-format the HDD & install the XP, instead of using the yucky Vista. Coz for this comp, all programs are pre installed & don't have the individual originals cds.

Thank you princej. There are so many possibilities to it, but really don't know which is the main culprit. The CPU should be cool enough coz a big stand fan is cooling it

Since you hear the usual beep then there is no hardware error. I guarantee it.

If your PC is out of warranty then I wouldn't mind to go over to your place to help you with your comp provided you don't live on Planet 51 otherwise it'll take me many light years to reach there. :bsmilie:

There's no charge for my help but you gotta buy me lunch and let me play with your toys. You can PM me if you want to take up my offer.;p

Since you hear the usual beep then there is no hardware error. I guarantee it.

If your PC is out of warranty then I wouldn't mind to go over to your place to help you with your comp provided you don't live on Planet 51 otherwise it'll take me many light years to reach there. :bsmilie:

There's no charge for my help but you gotta buy me lunch and let me play with your toys. You can PM me if you want to take up my offer.;p
Thank you very much hotwork77. Right now I'm using my laptop. Still don't know what i'll do with the desktop, whether to revive it or not. Thanks for the offer ;) Oh, btw I'm on planet 501, just right of pluto & travel another 7 trillion light years. It looks like a camera, hard to miss...........haha

Status
Not open for further replies.