ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne..

i meant two guys "more", no offense to your gender lol : ) i need to head back to SG 10th until the 20th, will keep an eye on the thread.

Best if you could PM me your mobile or meet face to face. From the looks of it we'll be only ones going and I'm not sure if I can take leave on Friday as I've started a new job and am on probation. Hence I'm thinking Friday overnight drive to Canberra, vote on Sat then drive back Sat & Sun w/ stopovers at Mt Hotham and Mt Beauty. But best to discuss the pros and cons before deciding anything.

Update, I can't be away from Melbourne for more than a day so the roadtrip is off. At most I may still fly to Canberra to vote in person and go sightseeing around Canberra.

Update, I can't be away from Melbourne for more than a day so the roadtrip is off. At most I may still fly to Canberra to vote in person and go sightseeing around Canberra.

Thank you for putting the effort to organise the road trip. Enjoy Canberra anyway.

BTW I'm not voting this time.

Actually I didn't vote in the end either? Was unable to get clearance from my company to leave Melbourne for more than 12 hours so.............anyway I'm quitting them very soon. Which is why I'm announcing a new road trip!!

3-day road trip - Melbourne CBD -> 12 Apostles -> Mount Gambier & Blue Lake -> Melbourne CBD

Itinerary as follows:
Day 1 - Depart Melbourne CBD in the morning, cruise Great Ocean Road and reach 12 Apostles (6 hour drive max). Stop for brunch or lunch along the way. Photography at 12 Apostles then continue to Port Campbell (20 mins drive) for dinner and overnight stay at Port Campbell.

Day 2 - Checkout then depart Port Campbell, either proceed to 12 Apostles for sunrise shoot for those who still want to take photos. Else proceed straight to Mount Gambier (3.5 hours drive max). Note we are taking the inland route as passing through Mount Richmond National Park would be too long. Lunch at Mount Gambier then proceed to Blue Lake. After that check out the town or drive out someplace for more sightseeing and dinner. Check in and overnight stay at Mount Gambier.

Day 3 - Proceed to Blue Lake for sunrise photography if desired. Checkout then drive back to Melbourne (6.5 hours drive max) via inland route through Colac and Lake Corangamite. If possible stop by Lake Corangamite for sightseeing and photography, plus lunch around the area. Reach Melbourne and have dinner if already night time then disperse.

Note, departure date is not confirmed. I'm still waiting for my Olympus EPL3 to arrive from Adorama. I've upgraded the shipping to 4 business day max so once I get confirmation that my camera has been shipped I'll book accommodation immediately. Also note I'm going on the road trip regardless of whoever wants to come so anyone can come. BUT last minute joiners will not be entertained as I need to book accommodation. If myself only I might get a backpackers or Youth Hostel. I'll be bringing my laptop and power board with SG power plug and AUS plug adapters so others are welcome to share and recharge their laptops and cameras at night.

Last edited:
Update, my camera is in transit!! Expected arrival is Thursday/Friday so the trip will be soon after that. After looking at the destinations, I've decided to revise the itinerary as there is a LOT to see around Mt Gambier and South Australia:

Day 1
Depart Melbourne CBD in morning, reach Apollo Bay n have lunch. Then proceed to 12 Apostles for photography n sightseeing, depart 12 Apostles by 4pm latest and proceed to Mt Gambier. Check in, have dinner, shower, process photos, etc, sleep

Day 2
After breakfast proceed for photography at Blue Lake, Umpherston Sinkhole garden, Tantanoola Cave, if possible drive out to the pristine coastline and beaches of Robe and Nora Creina. NOTE: Nora Creina may not be possible as the roads there are unpaved and some parts are sand dunes meaning a 4X4 will be needed.

Day 3
Have breakfast then checkout, proceed back to Melbourne via inland route, stop at Colac and Lake Corangamite for photography/sightseeing and lunch. After that continue to Melbourne CBD. Estimated arrival will be early evening.

I'm now looking at the accommodations at Mount Gambier and will be booking a room soon. If anyone wants to join, PM me ASAP.

Final update, the accommodation will be at either Quality Inn Presidential or Best Western Southgate Motel as their current promo is only A$99 a night. I'll be booking the accom soon as I'm waiting for uninterrupted clear blue skies for three days. After this I won't be entertaining any latecomers.

Evening everyone, anyone up for a hike-cum-photography of Stevenson Falls on 5th November? Leaving Melbourne CBD in the morning and aim to return by late afternoon.

No posts by anyone in over 2 months?? Are there any ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne this Xmas and New Year? Anyone up for fireworks shooting on New Years?

harnamsc said:
No posts by anyone in over 2 months?? Are there any ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne this Xmas and New Year? Anyone up for fireworks shooting on New Years?

Come to sydney to watch fireworks!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Blessed Christmas 2011 and New Year 2012 to all the ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne..!

Currently in Singapore, else more than happy to join you guys for some fireworks photo shooting.. hopefully next time.

:)

Yeah, quiet as usual in this forum, but I'm still alive in Melbourne.

If anyone wants to shoot the fireworks in Melbourne, you should scout for locations soon. You need some distance from Yarra River (at Fed Sq and Southbank), and maybe Docklands, where the fireworks are usually fired from. These are also spots where the crowds are massive and tripod space limited.

Last edited:
only have one ok shot in our recent st.kilda beach outing...
6770571415_df0989920a_b.jpg

I'm expecting more from the rest of u!

Greetings to all ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne,

I will be taking my family to Melbourne in the middle of April. Unfortunately, due to circumstances, it has to the 'usual group tour'. As it's my first time down under, appreciate if you guys could fill me in with some tips.

(1)Mid April ... autumn ... would a simple windbreaker suffice (including Phillip Island)... those sporty thin type ... like Adidas, etc

(2)Also, for the Penguin Parade (from the viewing platform), do I need a telephoto to reach out to those lovely penguins? * I intend to travel with just my D700 + 17-35mm + 85mm

(3)For the Great Ocean Road, I would again unfortunately have only a few minutes photostops here and there... obviously, the two most important views for a first-timer being the 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. From the road side (assuming the coach stops us along the highway/freeway, would my 85mm focal length be too little a reach and render the subject too small?

(4)Melbourne City ~ I will be staying in a budget hotel at Little Collins; think it is the Victorial Hotel. Are there any nice eateries around the vicinity on a budget; (Italian, Chinese) ie, around S$15-20 per person?

Thank you very much fellows.

Last edited:
(1)Mid April ... autumn ... would a simple windbreaker suffice (including Phillip Island)... those sporty thin type ... like Adidas, etc

(2)Also, for the Penguin Parade (from the viewing platform), do I need a telephoto to reach out to those lovely penguins? * I intend to travel with just my D700 + 17-35mm + 85mm

(3)For the Great Ocean Road, I would again unfortunately have only a few minutes photostops here and there... obviously, the two most important views for a first-timer being the 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. From the road side (assuming the coach stops us along the highway/freeway, would my 85mm focal length be too little a reach and render the subject too small?

(4)Melbourne City ~ I will be staying in a budget hotel at Little Collins; think it is the Victorial Hotel. Are there any nice eateries around the vicinity on a budget; (Italian, Chinese) ie, around S$15-20 per person?

Welcome to Melbourne soon, and have fun on your trip!

1. It's suicidal to use only a thin windbreaker at Phillip Island; it gets really cold when the penguins return in the evening. I would suggest bringing along a thicker jacket at least. The change of climate from Singapore to Melbourne takes a bit of getting used to, and Melbourne is famous for its streaky weather.

2. 85mm definitely not enough but from what I remember, photography is disallowed. Plus lighting is poor at that time. I tried to sneak a few pictures last time (without flash, long exposure etc) and got told off.

3. Stick with the 17-35, you should do fine.

- Italian, head over to Mercadante on Lygon St - awesome stuff. Try the chocolate pizza too! It's a bit of a walk, like 30 min but worth the trip!
- Chinese, check out Chinatown at Little Bourke St (between Russell and Swanston St). I like Wonton House on Russell St (also known as 正斗). Well within your budget. The salt and pepper chicken steak rice (椒盐鸡扒饭) is fantastic.

*Check Google Maps for directions.

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help.