ClubSNAPpers in Melbourne..

Okay I've just received confirmation that I've been registered as an overseas voter which means I'm probably going Canberra eventually. Anyone else interested?

Okay I've just received confirmation that I've been registered as an overseas voter which means I'm probably going Canberra eventually. Anyone else interested?

Which website did you go to check?

Any confirmed date for the election?

The Elections Office sent me an email (you need to provide one when registering) with the result of my application.

As for the election date, they only said its not announced yet so need to visit the elections website for details.

Thanks Harnam. Your plan sounds interesting. For me it will have to be with the family in tow.

I'm interested in coming along, will be voting for this election too. I'll keep an eye out for details :)

cheers

Hi guys, family and friends are welcome to come. I'm not going to be bias against anyone as this is an open invitation. To ensure everything goes smoothly we need to confirm how many are going and which route, as well as how many days you want to spend on the trip. Best if we could agree on the basic details first as I strongly suspect the polling day will be two weeks after the date is released. Meaning, need to start looking for a place to stay overnight as soon as possible.

If possible please state how many persons you intend to bring, which route you prefer, and your budget (so can look for accom within budget). Do feel free to insert any details you feel should be included.

harnamsc - 1 person / prefer coastal trip + overnight at Batemans Bay / $400 max / will drive back to Melbourne if Polling Day is over weekend

Ignore my earlier post, after looking at the destinations and attractions I think the Alpine route may be better? Anyway I'm posting the possible routes here. One is the shorter "alpine" route and the other is the longer "coastal" route. For both routes we should aim to depart Melbourne at 7am or earlier if possible as its winter and daylight hours are shorter, so we need to give ourselves more daylight hours for sightseeing and photography. This is only a proposal and we can always change our destinations along the way as places will look different in winter as compared to summer or autumn.

Alpine Route
1) Melbourne Central to Benalla - 2.5 hrs driving, we stop in Benalla for brekkie/brunch (Gallery Cafe or Main Street Cafe) and stretch our legs, we could stop in Seymour but I can't find any info on possible cafes there.
2) Benalla to Mount Hotham OR Mount Beauty - 2.5 hrs driving, we reach Mount Hotham and give ourselves 1.5 hours for sightseeing and photography we could have lunch there or wait until we reach Bright
3) Mount Hotham/Beauty to Bright - 45 mins, we stop in Bright for late lunch/tea and also for more sightseeing and photography, give another 1.5 hours for sightseeing and photography as it'll be reaching sundown soon
4) Bright to Albury - 2 to 2.5 hours depending on road condition and street lighting, reach the hotel and check in, have dinner and a hot shower (maybe a beer at a pub too?) then sleep preferably 8 hours

5) Albury to Canberra - 4.5 hrs drive, we wake up, have brekkie then check-out. Aim to depart Albury by 8am latest. Along the way we stop for toilet breaks and to stretch legs
6) Canberra! - Have lunch, visit the Singapore Embassy and cast votes, then go sightseeing around Canberra
7) Departure? - Here we either board a plane back to Melbourne or turn our cars around and return to Melbourne.

Coastal Route
1) Melbourne Central to Lakes Entrance - 4.5 hrs drive, along the way we stop for toilet breaks, also need to find a place to stop for brekkie. We pause at Lakes Entrance for 1.5 hours for lunch and sightseeing
2) Lakes Entrance to Eden - 3 hours drive, stop at Eden. Not sure whether there'll be much to see there? Else we can push on to Narooma.
3) Eden to Narooma - 2 hours drive, stop at Narooma to stretch legs, we can have dinner there or continue to Batemans Bay
4) Narooma to Batemans Bay - 1 hour drive, have dinner if not already, check in and relax for the evening, also plan where we want to explore in the morning?
5) Batemans Bay to Canberra - 2.5 hours drive, wake up and have brekkie and check out. After that spend 1.5 to 2 hours to explore Batemans Bay, after that we depart for Canberra by late morning

6) Canberra! - Have lunch, visit the Singapore Embassy and cast votes, then go sightseeing around Canberra
7) Departure? - Here we either board a plane back to Melbourne or turn our cars around and return to Melbourne.

Oh yay!! we have clubsnappers in melb.. =) i am heading to melb uni next feb hope to meet up with you guys when i am there CANT WAIT!!

Hmm...............would you be willing to help bring in some camera gear? *grinz*
;)

LOL.. cannot la.. my luggage cfm over weight already.. =D bringing my whole room over..

I thought I should let you guys know of this recent news feature in The Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/date-with-the-milky-way-led-to-stars-20110622-1gfij.html

This weekend Saturday and Sunday will be a new moon, or in layman terms, there won't be any moon in the sky. The night sky will be very dark, and if cloudless, ideal to shoot star trail or astronomy photos such as those shown in the web link. As best as I understand, to get circular star trails, the camera should be pointed southwards, or else follow the images shown in the web link.

A very sturdy tripod, perhaps weighed down, and a remote control is needed for such photography.

Any suggestions on where is a good spot to shoot the stars and what time? As in can we start shooting from 6pm onwards since now is winter and sunset is at 5:25pm everday.

I thought I should let you guys know of this recent news feature in The Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/date-with-the-milky-way-led-to-stars-20110622-1gfij.html

This weekend Saturday and Sunday will be a new moon, or in layman terms, there won't be any moon in the sky. The night sky will be very dark, and if cloudless, ideal to shoot star trail or astronomy photos such as those shown in the web link. As best as I understand, to get circular star trails, the camera should be pointed southwards, or else follow the images shown in the web link.

A very sturdy tripod, perhaps weighed down, and a remote control is needed for such photography.

Any suggestions on where is a good spot to shoot the stars and what time? As in can we start shooting from 6pm onwards since now is winter and sunset is at 5:25pm everday.

The sun must have moved away from the horizon far enough so starting later at night is best, say from 9pm. Each exposure could be 15-30 minutes, maybe up to 1 hour. Several batteries are needed. This will be a late-night maybe all-night activity that could stretch to sunrise. Hence, logically, it is better to do this during winter since the sun sets earlier instead of during summer. However, braving the cold is a must, but warm thick clothes should be fine.

Locations include Flinders at Mornington Peninsula and similarly southward coastal heads at Phillip Island.

Last edited:
hi all!

im studying in monash uni in caulfield. where do you guys usually meet up?? :) be interested to join!

hi ...

to start off ... i have not readthru all 7 pages of this threa so if this question has been asked before, please pointme to the right post.

anyone have a good contact for reasonable studio rental in Melbourne area? Looking to comr to MEL to do some shoots in a studio. Dont want to becarrying my ligts so I guess a suidio with some pre-fab sets may be a good idea.

TIA for any input.

No idea on where's a cheap rental studio. What I do know is that anything within the city would be more expensive so you might be better off trying the suburbs around Melbourne.

Hi Blinkx, we don't really have a regular meetup place, the last place we met was Blue Train Cafe at Southbank. Another place would be this French cafe near Bourke St Mall, but suggestions are always welcome cos some of us drive while others don't.

hi all!

im studying in monash uni in caulfield. where do you guys usually meet up?? :) be interested to join!

Hi Blinkx, we don't really have a regular meetup place, the last place we met was Blue Train Cafe at Southbank. Another place would be this French cafe near Bourke St Mall, but suggestions are always welcome cos some of us drive while others don't.

cool. i live in the city so should be convenient to meet up within the area or if the place is far out should be no probs too as i drive. are there a regular meetup date or is it more like an impromptu kinda arrangement? :)

cool. i live in the city so should be convenient to meet up within the area or if the place is far out should be no probs too as i drive. are there a regular meetup date or is it more like an impromptu kinda arrangement? :)
Hi blinkx, since u studying at Monash Caulfield, why dun u stay around Caulfield or Malvern area? Wouldn't it be cheaper and nearer to uni than the city?
pai seh, just curious only, 'cos usually people travel to city from suburb residences, not the other way round. :)