Not open for further replies.
Some initial pictures from the OM-D

Using 20mm F1.7

20120413_P4130077_1.jpg

45mm f1.8

20120414_P4140044.jpg

45mm f1.8 with art filter

20120413_P4130019_1.jpg

am wondering if u guys put any screen protector?

As7eroidS said:
am wondering if u guys put any screen protector?

Yes.I did paste the film type clear screen protector on my em5.able to touch screen without any problem.

just wondering how much is body alone?

snip3r said:
just wondering how much is body alone?

I saw someone mention abt $14xx.

I saw someone mention abt $14xx.
1488 but i Thot i read somewhere suppose to be less than 1.4k. Any rich bros have x pro1 and em5 can pls post comparison pics

1488 but i Thot i read somewhere suppose to be less than 1.4k. Any rich bros have x pro1 and em5 can pls post comparison pics

Shld be lower. $1488 is the RRP. Wait till the frenzy is over, the price Shld drop to streets level.

Hi all enthusiastic Olympus users!

So far I've been using Canon DSLR for a long time. Trying to go into Olympus 4/3. The OM-D caught my eye. But I have the following questions:

1. I read that there are "Standard", "High Grade" and "Super High Grade" Zuiko lenses. For the Standard lenses, is the image quality less superior compared to the Higher Grade ones? At least that's what it is for DSLRs: Kit lenses, though reasonable in optical performance, are not as good as the more expensive ones.

2. I noticed the max aperture of the Standard lenses are quite small, eg the 14-42mm kit lens at f/5.6, 42mm. I'm more used to f/2.8 and f/4 zooms. Is there such a thing as bigger max aperture for zoom lenses? Which means I have to consider the High Grade Zuiko lenses?

3. What sort of lens brands can fit the OM-D besides the Zuiko ones? I see some people use Panasonic Lumix. So only Lumix and Zuiko ones can be considered?

4. Do I need to get an Olympus flash for the OM-D? Saw someone using Nikon flash. Can I use my Canon Speedlite flash for the OM-D?

Apologies if the questions sound noob. Doing my best to make the switch to 4/3 cam! Thanks a lot....

Hi all enthusiastic Olympus users!

So far I've been using Canon DSLR for a long time. Trying to go into Olympus 4/3. The OM-D caught my eye. But I have the following questions:

1. I read that there are "Standard", "High Grade" and "Super High Grade" Zuiko lenses. For the Standard lenses, is the image quality less superior compared to the Higher Grade ones? At least that's what it is for DSLRs: Kit lenses, though reasonable in optical performance, are not as good as the more expensive ones.

- Do note that when you mention going into 4/3 it's really the DSLR and not mirrorless (Olympus Pen/OMD, Panasonic GF/G/GH bodies). There are whole set of 43rd lenses and some are CDAF and some are PDAF (DSLR). PDAF focuses like 3-4secs, CDAF about 1sec. 43rd lenses are usually bigger as made for DSLR.

To make use of fast AF (as fast as DSLR on bright light), you should use the native micro 43rd lenses. You can see list here

Yes. HG & SHG are also weather sealed so with mmf3 adapter, the OMD become weathersealed. SG is not. And the HG/SHG are brighter for low light is useful.

2. I noticed the max aperture of the Standard lenses are quite small, eg the 14-42mm kit lens at f/5.6, 42mm. I'm more used to f/2.8 and f/4 zooms. Is there such a thing as bigger max aperture for zoom lenses? Which means I have to consider the High Grade Zuiko lenses?

- The 43rd lenses has it, Olympus 12-35F2 constant aperture but again the AF is slow on OMD. Panasonic is rumored to launch 12-35 F2.8? constant aperture and 35-100F2.8?, it won't be cheap, not sure IQ as well, it's probably better to wait for this. If you want it now, there's only 43rd lenses.

3. What sort of lens brands can fit the OM-D besides the Zuiko ones? I see some people use Panasonic Lumix. So only Lumix and Zuiko ones can be considered?
- For AF, yes, see the lens list above link. For manual focusing, there's a whole lot you can buy adapters to fit to m43.

4. Do I need to get an Olympus flash for the OM-D? Saw someone using Nikon flash. Can I use my Canon Speedlite flash for the OM-D?

- Not sure, sorry!

Apologies if the questions sound noob. Doing my best to make the switch to 4/3 cam! Thanks a lot....

On pt4, abt the flash, I believe you must use either Olympus or Panasonic flashes or third party that are designed for m4/3 system. Otherwise camera will not meter properly.

Last time, I managed to get my canon flash to 'work' on the epl3 but there is no metering at all. So yes the flash can be fired, but your exposure will go haywire. In my case they were way over exposed.

NiVleK said:
By the way, with adapters, can canon lens work on the EM5? I am not too sure about this.

Quite sure can. But completely manual. And can only shoot wide open (e.g. No aperture control) unless you are talking abt the old manual canon lenses with aperture control ring.

Last edited:
m43 are smaller than APS-C and full frame sensor, so any lenses design for APS-C and full frame able to project the light on m43 sensor and get focus properly. Just the matter of getting the correct adaptor. You can make one if you got the tools. I tried to hand held the lens in front of sensor if will work. Jus the matter of adjusting the distance from the sensor. The further the lens the larger the image, remember to cover around the lens to avoid light leak. :)

You can find many different mount to m43 adaptor on market, they are not expensive, I found even exacta to m43 and I'm happily using it.

As for SG, HG, SHG lenses, all of them will AF, just that each lens give you different AF speed, you you good at MF, i think it will be faster than AF.

For flash you can find Young Nou, Olympus, Panasonic, Nissi that TTL enable for m43 system. I tried those wireless trigger to trigger studio light from m43, this mean that via the trigger you can trigger almost all flash or studio light, only problem is you have to adjust the flash power manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.