Cheat case: What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
case can sue them also lah. and you can go to sigma distributor as well so they lose retail rights. and last but not least.. ...well, do you think they have fire insurance... hahah.

*comment above meant in jest.*

if ur friend is indeed a foreigner, then may wish to try contacting singapore tourist promotion board. read b4 that they have better "bulk" and resources for such scenarios as the "tourism image" is at stake.....

perly said:
if ur friend is indeed a foreigner, then may wish to try contacting singapore tourist promotion board. read b4 that they have better "bulk" and resources for such scenarios as the "tourism image" is at stake.....

is foreign student classified as that category as well?

Which shop? So that even locals will avoid them!

Should state the name of the shop so as to warn other potentially unsuspecting buyers. Second, why dont your friend propose to the shop to take the $700 in cash and the remaining $300 (or whatever amount otherwise agreed) in goods? that's the easiest way out (assuming the shop agrees).

For CASE, I last heard they charge S$25 membership fee/year (+$10 signup fee) and $8/yr for students.

vince123123 said:
Should state the name of the shop so as to warn other potentially unsuspecting buyers. Second, why dont your friend propose to the shop to take the $700 in cash and the remaining $300 (or whatever amount otherwise agreed) in goods? that's the easiest way out (assuming the shop agrees).

For CASE, I last heard they charge S$25 membership fee/year (+$10 signup fee) and $8/yr for students.

y not? there was a case in the news with foreign students and a private school a few months back, and the authorities were called in for action....

sad to say, foreigners seem to have better support in cases like this, where locals get only CASE....

Just a follow up:

Since your friend is a foreign student, you can try lodging a complaint with the STB (although its supposedly for tourists, but no harm trying):

Hotline: 1800-736-3366
Email: feedback@stb.com.sg

There's this comic strip in the Case Fair Trading Guide which goes like this:

Frame 1: Person buys a camera from shop with a sign saying "Sale - $900"
Frame 2: Person reads newspapers and sees an ad saying "Retail - $300 only) - presumably for the same product
Frame 3: Person brings ad and shows it to the shop, asking for $600 refund. Shop owner 'bochaps' him
Frame 4: Person goes to STB
Frame 5: Shop refunds $ to person with STB officer looking on.

perly said:
y not? there was a case in the news with foreign students and a private school a few months back, and the authorities were called in for action....

sad to say, foreigners seem to have better support in cases like this, where locals get only CASE....

Why don't inform the press and let them work on it.. imagine they will go down to the shop and pretend to be tourist and record the event, then go interview CASE chairman and the shop owner, then when public aware of the cheating, more people will write to forums and talk show will have a topic for this, and invite lawyers and experts for their opinions.

Your friend might in the end got a full refund.. :bsmilie: and at the same time, expose the crooks!

Hmm....looks like a familiar case...

I have such experience with a shop in Funan.....and cant believe they are still doing this....but mine not that much delta lah...

rgds,
sulhan

vince123123 said:
Frame 1: Person buys a camera from shop with a sign saying "Sale - $900"
Frame 2: Person reads newspapers and sees an ad saying "Retail - $300 only) - presumably for the same product
Frame 3: Person brings ad and shows it to the shop, asking for $600 refund. Shop owner 'bochaps' him
Frame 4: Person goes to STB
Frame 5: Shop refunds $ to person with STB officer looking on.

http://www.case.org.sg/cpfta.htm

Some more example here..

http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/CPFTA/CPFTA 20 unfair practices.doc

I've read thru the list last night after reading this thread.. but if the sales never tell his friend this is a discount from usual price? The document never state that the seller cannot sell at a higher price than MSRP.

Of course, cheating in the eye of law or not, the seller is unethical IMO. :thumbsd:

sulhan said:
Hmm....looks like a familiar case...

I have such experience with a shop in Funan.....and cant believe they are still doing this....but mine not that much delta lah...

rgds,
sulhan

which one, which one?? PM me if not convenient leh :bsmilie:

While I sympathize with the victim, I feel he should just take the $700 and accept this episode as a lesson. (In the first place, he should've done his homework to check the prices. It's funny why he would pay for a big ticket item like this without even checking around!)

deslim27 said:
Of course, cheating in the eye of law or not, the seller is unethical IMO. :thumbsd:

There are lots of such merchants around. Not just in the electronics/camera business. Market is just too competitive and sometimes these people just take advantage and cheat so as to meet their sales targets. What to do? This is Singapore.

sfhuang said:
There are lots of such merchants around. Not just in the electronics/camera business. Market is just too competitive and sometimes these people just take advantage and cheat so as to meet their sales targets. What to do? This is Singapore.

Your fatalistic "like that wan, what to do" attitude is exactly the reason these people continue to do what they do :confused:

1) Less hassle.... take the $700 and blacklist shop from now on... let your friends know too

2) More hassle... go CASE, STB etc... take sometime and no sure about refund.

Gymrat76 said:
Your fatalistic "like that wan, what to do" attitude is exactly the reason these people continue to do what they do :confused:

I agree with you.. :thumbsup:

Perhaps can leverage on the power of media...especially the new paper and try to paint a picture of such dealers ruining SG's shopper paradise image.

Without foreign $ coming into the economy to spend or worse by-pass SG and take their $ elsewhere, as such it will have a indirect impact on the overall on affiliated industries (hospitability, transport, manufacturing) etc etc etc etc..... :bsmilie:

Since 1,300 is already a sunk cost, might as well go all out to shame the shop.

If your friend paid via credit card, and (hopefully) the fund transfer hasn't gone thru, can still ask the bank to void the transaction.

Don't think you can do that. Or else its such a big loophole - buy product, get bank to void :p

HeWolf said:
If your friend paid via credit card, and (hopefully) the fund transfer hasn't gone thru, can still ask the bank to void the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.