Canon IXUS 40 owners - comments or regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hewmf said:
Am thinking very hard about buying this camera. For those who have bought it, any difference when using normal 30-40X SD cards and Ultra II type high speed cards for video at 640x480 at 30fps?

I use the Sandisk Ultra II SD cards and have no problems with continuous recording at 640x480 at 30fps. With the prices of Ultra II cards being so low these days, I wouldn't bother even looking for 'normal' or lower speed cards.

Just a word of warning if you're planning to buy the IXUS 40 to double as a digital video camera... DON'T !!

a single 1GB SD card fills up with less than 10minutes of video at 640x480 30fps. i.e. you'd probably need like about 30 x 1GB SD cards to capture video of your best friend's wedding ;)

the main reason is 'cos like all prior IXUS, it uses MJPG compression for video (i.e. ever frame is a key frame). quality is great and allows for easy non-linear editing but it chews through storage like nobody's business. i'd suggest just using 640x480 15fps for short clips.

BunGee said:
Besides scratches, you should be careful not to crack the screen !! :eek:

Crack? Wait he smash.... :bsmilie:

BunGee said:
Just a word of warning if you're planning to buy the IXUS 40 to double as a digital video camera... DON'T !!

a single 1GB SD card fills up with less than 10minutes of video at 640x480 30fps. i.e. you'd probably need like about 30 x 1GB SD cards to capture video of your best friend's wedding ;)

the main reason is 'cos like all prior IXUS, it uses MJPG compression for video (i.e. ever frame is a key frame). quality is great and allows for easy non-linear editing but it chews through storage like nobody's business. i'd suggest just using 640x480 15fps for short clips.

Its the same case as most digital cams i guess. Thats why for movies, a video cam using DV tapes is still the best! Clear moving picture and cheap tapes! :)
Very tempted to buy Ixus 40..... :think:

BunGee said:
No, I don't use a screen protector but I keep it in a separate compartment in my bag (away from keys and other sharp objects).
It may not be overkill 'cos the 2" screen looks like it invites scratchs! I'm definitely more careful with the IXUS 40 than my previous IXUS 430... which i managed to scratches that screen, even though it's was smaller :embrass:
Besides scratches, you should be careful not to crack the screen !! :eek:

tats y a da product one maybe better, btw which size is suitable, seems that it does not have a recommended size yet

Phew... that was a lot of replies. ok, to answer my own question in the 1st post, I have no regrets upgrading from the IXUS 430 to the IXUS 40. I've been testing the camera extensively today and the much mentioned 'softness' of the picture is an exaggeration, if you ask me. i still have blurring risks with no-flash,low-light photos (optical image stabliser in next IXUS, pls?) but overall, there is still significant improvements between the 2.
Besides, the obvious size and LCD physical differences, IMHO the user-interface of the IXUS 40 has improved. Canon has done well to build on their IXUS experience (and customer feedback?) and the user interface is now cleaner (e.g. less buttons -> set/fuction buttons now combined). the most commonly used functions are still easy to get to. those that are less likely to be used are now placed into the menu (like photo-stitch function which i almost thought was dropped).
And did I mention that DIGIC II is freaking faaaaaaaaast?! the speed shows all over the place, such as time to take 1st shot, scrolling through pages, saving edited video back to SD card... etc. coupled with a fast SD card like the Sandisk Ultra II, the continuous shot function becomes a very useful feature. imagine firing 4 mega-pixel shots non-stop till your SD card fills up. very handy for capturing those hard-to-capture moments.
any other questions or comments before I close this thread? cheers :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
tats y a da product one maybe better, btw which size is suitable, seems that it does not have a recommended size yet

Find a cam that has 2" LCD in the list?

BunGee....
May i know what is DIGIC II? :embrass:

I've a female friend whom is getting the Ixus 40 and after she gets it, i'll be eyeing her................camera! :bsmilie:

afbug said:
Find a cam that has 2" LCD in the list?

BunGee....

I've a female friend whom is getting the Ixus 40 and after she gets it, i'll be eyeing her................camera! :bsmilie:

hmm dunno which cam that has 2" lcd... thats the problem... anyway... not my problem... :bsmilie: ask them go look themselves...

btw i've 2 female friend whom got the Ixus 40 yesterday... i not eyeing them... :bsmilie:

afbug said:
BunGee....
without getting too technical, DIGIC is Canon's proprietary imaging engine chip which forms the 'brain' of the camera. DIGIC II is the latest chip turning up in the newer cameras. should be a matter of time before Canon updates their entire range with this chip.
IMG_DIGICII.jpg

for more details, see: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&fcategoryid=111&id=2630
hope this helps. btw, i don't work for Canon :)

BunGee said:
Ok, I've done some testing and although it's nothing scientific and far from conclusive, I didn't have any problems focusing in low light with the AF-assist Beam turned off.

Hi BunGee,

Thanks for your effort to do the testing. I appreciate it. I suspect Canon has made some improvement - maybe an advantage of DIGIC II.

BunGee said:
I guess it really depends on what you define 'low light' to be. The truth is, I usually have more problem with burring from holding the camera steady more than anything else in low light conditions. I have always leave the AF-assist Beam turned on (default setting) on all my prior IXUS cameras and will likely do the same with my new IXUS 40.

That is true. The term "low light" is not terribly specific. The room I refer to is illuminated by a 75 watt incandescent lamp. I find the camera tends to run into trouble when contrast is moderate to low in this particular room - for example, subject is white, background white or similar to white. Sometimes, the subject is in partial shadow. The worst thing is, I am trying to get a good candid shot - and of course, the moment disappears long before I can get any sort of a good focus lock! And the moment ain't coming back!

Thanks again for your effort. Think I will fork out the money within the next few weeks to buy this camera.

Hi CanonFanatic, I assume you use flash for your 'low light' candid shots, right? If not, I suspect focusing wldn't be your only problem... holding the camera steady for a long exposure will be a bigger challenge.
I did another test just to see how the degree of shuttle lag between the AF-assist Beam and shuttle going off. You'd be glad to know that the 2 are almost immediately one after another (probably due to the speed of the DIGIC II chip again).
What this means is that unless your subject has the reflexes of a fighter pilot, chances are he/she will not have enough time to react to your AF-assit Beam (orange in colour in case you're wondering) before you snap the picture. Don't take my word of it, test out the camera itself at a store before you shell over the moolah ;)

Yes, with flash on. I know the problems I have had is not associated with shake because the camera runs into the problem even before I have taken the picture. I generally do a half shutter release press first, and when the camera runs into a focus lock problem, it tells me with that error triple beep and lights flashing!

It does sound like Canon has improved its focussing. I will do as you suggest and try it out at the shop. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.