Canon G1X !

Here is mine taken using G1X from my recent trip to Taiwan:

IMG_0872.jpg

Taken from DP Review;

"If you can live with the sluggish focus speed the G1 X's minimum focus distance could still be a problem. At the wide end of the G1 X's zoom minimum focus is 40cm and this increases to 1.3m at the tele-end of the zoom. At 50mm it's already 1.1m which means that for close-up portraits, for example across a dinner table, you have to switch to macro mode, which lets you get closer but slows the focusing speed down further. Don't forget to switch back to standard focusing mode afterwards though to avoid trouble when focusing on a subject in the distance in your next shot, as the G1 X cannot focus to infinity in macro mode."

Is this a problem you really face?

Yes and it's not really a problem but kind of like limitations due to large sensor. This can be addressed with filter and adapter. But I think the minimum focusing distance could be improved, at least removing the need to toggle between macro mode.

Finally managed to test the combination of G1X and Raynox DCR250 by holding it manually in front of the lens as I still can't get my hands on the filter adaptor ring. All these shots are without tripod and shot very high ISO as no tripod. I am happy with this combo. It's not extreme macro. But good enough for me. These were set at the longest focal length and MF option.
http://www.msvanjara.com/ja/Macro/

One thing I noticed, even when I want to shoot something close by like a person across the table then its best to set the camera on Macro focus otherwise if left in landscape focus mode, it tends to hunt. This simple setting I found results in pretty quick AF for people and objects in close proximity.

Last edited:
Yes and it's not really a problem but kind of like limitations due to large sensor. This can be addressed with filter and adapter. But I think the minimum focusing distance could be improved, at least removing the need to toggle between macro mode.

Well, just a thought:think: and that's hopefully there'll be some form of a :light:firmware update to address the above highlighted scenario...hello CANON....:embrass:hmmm...heeheeee:bsmilie:.....shall wait patiently for the time being then.....hahaaa...!!!!!!;)

Finally managed to test the combination of G1X and Raynox DCR250 by holding it manually in front of the lens as I still can't get my hands on the filter adaptor ring. All these shots are without tripod and shot very high ISO as no tripod. I am happy with this combo. It's not extreme macro. But good enough for me. These were set at the longest focal length and MF option.

One thing I noticed, even when I want to shoot something close by like a person across the table then its best to set the camera on Macro focus otherwise if left in landscape focus mode, it tends to hunt. This simple setting I found results in pretty quick AF for people and objects in close proximity.

Ooh ya hor, talk about the Filter-Adaptor thingzzZ is...really making me...Arrrghhh...:devil:...taking soooo looooong to replenish the stockkkkkk.....:sticktong

Yes, agreed on the/your second para...thingzzZ...;)

Well, guess I/we must keep:cool:...while hopefully &/or waiting for say...a firmware to address these issue/s lor...!!!!!:)

Haha same... I am waiting for the filter adapter to come and mount the raynox on too!

Thanks for the reply, The limitation seems to be a great concern to me. Slow AF and long minimum focusing distance combo gives me no choice. Can't focus across table is frustrating, the need to switch mode will resulting in miss shot especial when taking my son's candy n natural photos. Guess I will have to wait for the next model with my minor scratched G11 lens and advice accordingly to my friend who is looking at G1X, GX1 and E-PEN.

Thanks for the reply, The limitation seems to be a great concern to me. Slow AF and long minimum focusing distance combo gives me no choice. Can't focus across table is frustrating, the need to switch mode will resulting in miss shot especial when taking my son's candy n natural photos. Guess I will have to wait for the next model with my minor scratched G11 lens and advice accordingly to my friend who is looking at G1X, GX1 and E-PEN.

Well, for the so called "slow-AF"...I'd say it all depends on what one/you're shooting and types of photography is that...!!:)

Hmm...lets say, not:nono: so appropriate for fast-action sports and more active kids...!!!

But then again, G1X's is still acceptable:thumbsup: in the sense that..., say for taking kid/s not engaging in any form of fast-action scenarios and slower-sport/s events...no problem!!!:thumbsup:

BTW, really wish that there's something say...a firmware or so...to address and improved the "slow-AF".....which can genuinely :heart:Delighting Most if not All G1X's users.....!!!!!!

Last edited:

Can't focus across table? Who said so? Mine focuses perfectly fine anywhere unless i want to take food shots, then i have to switch to macro. You ever used any dslr 18-55mm kit lens before? Same thing... in fact the g1x at least have a macro mode for closer shots.

Here are some samples of macro shots taken with the G1x WITH 250d close-up lens on filter adapter. All handheld and unedited.

7059272175_0395a5edb0_b.jpg

7059274893_79c1505984_b.jpg

6913187582_20ee60e927_b.jpg

7059265883_305c9cea6d_b.jpg

7059265013_692c6b8124_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful camera fr wat i c but a pity tat its out of stocks at all the big players....
Anyone got any idea when fresh stocks r comin in as i'm itchin to get 1

nvm, found it :p

Last edited:
Me thinking to replace my G9.....

How heavy is this camera?

Btw the pix looks sharp..... can post some shots with bokeh effects?Thanks