Canon G1X !

By "other options", I don't necessarily mean the sensor size has to be the same. For example, the micro 4/3 sensor may be smaller than the G1X II's, but the versatility of the system does draw the market away from the G1X II. Consider the higher price point of the G1X II also.
You won't even find a compact m43 zoom lens as bright as the G1XmkII's one. ;)

hope g1x ii will be under DPP. I can trade my broken mark i with it. But some of you are right, the price is the main factor making me not to buy it.

My wife's epm2 kit costs only $350. With the price diff probably I can get a brighter lens?

On the other hand I find g1x ii a better option than nikon's A (something like that). Fixed focal length, not cheap either.

This world is so confusing. Any users want do a review?

You won't even find a compact m43 zoom lens as bright as the G1XmkII's one. ;)

Haha... you still dun get it. :)

I meant options as different choices, not necessarily on sensor size, how big the aperture is, etc. Not everyone looks at such specs but the overall package.

If we go into this sort of comparisons, there will be no end. We can also say G1XII doesn't have the versatility of being able to change lenses like m43 cams. AF not as quick either. And there are many m43 cams which are smaller and cheaper than the G1XII.

I'm questioning more on the market segment the G1XII is targeted at.

I still maintain it is a good cam. But its hefty price tag, size and weight as a "compact" cam, awkward use of front dual rings, and other more versatile camera options available for the price push a segment of camera buyers away.

This is what I think: Keep the sensor size, trim the zoom range, maybe give something like 24-80mm, aperture range f/2 to f/4, and hence a smaller and lighter body, remove the fanciful but awkward dual front rings, and give simple practical thumb wheels for quick and easy 1-hand operation, it will probably have a winner. Hopefully, price can be a tad cheaper also.

It's just that. A personal opinion. :) Like I said, if it fits one's needs, then by all means, get the G1XII!

The rumoured RX200 from April 2014 had the same focal range than the now released RX100mkIII. Good luck with the RX200.

Err no leh...the rumour that I read was a 28-140mm/f1.4-2.2 (impressive isn't it?) compared to G1XM2's f2.0-3.9. Link below.

http://photorumors.com/2013/05/05/r...ng-in-june-with-a-built-in-pop-up-viewfinder/

Anyway don't need luck one lah, have then have, don't have then don't have :)

Haha... you still dun get it. :)

I meant options as different choices, not necessarily on sensor size, how big the aperture is, etc. Not everyone looks at such specs but the overall package.

If we go into this sort of comparisons, there will be no end. We can also say G1XII doesn't have the versatility of being able to change lenses like m43 cams. AF not as quick either. And there are many m43 cams which are smaller and cheaper than the G1XII.

I'm questioning more on the market segment the G1XII is targeted at.

I still maintain it is a good cam. But its hefty price tag, size and weight as a "compact" cam, awkward use of front dual rings, and other more versatile camera options available for the price push a segment of camera buyers away.

This is what I think: Keep the sensor size, trim the zoom range, maybe give something like 24-80mm, aperture range f/2 to f/4, and hence a smaller and lighter body, remove the fanciful but awkward dual front rings, and give simple practical thumb wheels for quick and easy 1-hand operation, it will probably have a winner. Hopefully, price can be a tad cheaper also.

It's just that. A personal opinion. :) Like I said, if it fits one's needs, then by all means, get the G1XII!

I guess the size is somewhat unavoidable as a significantly bigger sensor (cf m43) will need significantly larger lens as it needs to produce a significantly larger image circle. And along with the size will be the weight unless they were to spend more cost making the body light which will then further increase the price. Anyway having carried DSLR for a few years, I don't consider G1X2 to be heavy although I understand why you would say it is. And I don't agree with reducing the zoom range. I often find 3x zoom to be insufficient. 5x is minimum for me.

It escapes me somewhat but I can't think of any m43 format fixed lens camera in the market now with 5x zoom and f2-3.9 which is cheaper than the canon. I have been a bit out of touch with the market. Can give me 1 or 2 examples?

I guess the size is somewhat unavoidable as a significantly bigger sensor (cf m43) will need significantly larger lens as it needs to produce a significantly larger image circle. And along with the size will be the weight unless they were to spend more cost making the body light which will then further increase the price. Anyway having carried DSLR for a few years, I don't consider G1X2 to be heavy although I understand why you would say it is. And I don't agree with reducing the zoom range. I often find 3x zoom to be insufficient. 5x is minimum for me.

It escapes me somewhat but I can't think of any m43 format fixed lens camera in the market now with 5x zoom and f2-3.9 which is cheaper than the canon. I have been a bit out of touch with the market. Can give me 1 or 2 examples?
There aren't any.

There aren't any.

Haha.....

And not that I want to rub salt into any wounds, in fact, you cannot even find ANY m43 lens (interchangeable or otherwise) with 5 times zoom and an aperture range similar to the canon. The closest is the Oly 12-50 which is only f3.5-6.3.

Last edited:
Been considering the G1XII as a replacement for my LX3. The star modes are quite interesting, does in camera stacking for star trails. Just that I read the battery doesn't last very long?

Been considering the G1XII as a replacement for my LX3. The star modes are quite interesting, does in camera stacking for star trails. Just that I read the battery doesn't last very long?
Any nice highrez sample photos done with that feature?

Any nice highrez sample photos done with that feature?

An hour long star trail using the in-cam stacking: