Canon G1X !

Confirm buying this camera!

caption_001.jpg

Wonder how fast the AF is?

quite power...sensor size is even bigger than m4/3 cameras...definitely worth getting if the price is right! :)

Keeping an eye on this. Wonder when it'll eventually hit our shores and into the stores...?

probably not very good, as most point-and-shoots use contrast-detection AF (rather than the phase-detection AF).

Not always true. EP3 use contrast detection AF, pair with 12mm, the AF is faster than Canon 7D + kit lens or with 50mm f1.8mm.

Slightly disappointed that at its widest... its not 24mm. Sensor size is :thumbsup:

probably not very good, as most point-and-shoots use contrast-detection AF (rather than the phase-detection AF).

In what way was a contrast detection AF inferior to a phase detection AF? In the past, reports and test has it that contrast detection AF is slower than the phase detection AF, but Olympus/ Panasonic seemed to have solve this problem and is very very fast and accurate too. With modern technology and electronic breakthrough, I do not think contrast detection AF is anything lesser.

I have a feeling Canon is going to have an EVIL based on this sensor. :)

dpreview says street price of U$799.. judging from experience how much can one expect in singapore market?

I am very interested in this cam too... but for US$800... I find that a bit hard to swallow. I think I will wait to see if Canon actually come up with a small mirrorless interchangeable lens system.

I am very interested in this cam too... but for US$800... I find that a bit hard to swallow. I think I will wait to see if Canon actually come up with a small mirrorless interchangeable lens system.

usually price on dpreview is inflated.. so on market can come down to 800S$? similar to G12 when it was launched? comparing to small mirror cams out there if price too steep then Canon cant find buyers..

usually price on dpreview is inflated.. so on market can come down to 800S$? similar to G12 when it was launched? comparing to small mirror cams out there if price too steep then Canon cant find buyers..

If it was S$800 or below... I will get :D confirm + chop. hahahaha.

Slightly disappointed that at its widest... its not 24mm. Sensor size is :thumbsup:

Yup agree.
Canon always 'put a bit not put a bit'... Guess the next model will wider to 24 mm (like S95 to S100)

Wah, USD800, if direct convert can almost get a 1100D with 18-55 mm right?

Aperture not attractive at longest. Due to sensor size I suppose.

If it was S$800 or below... I will get :D confirm + chop. hahahaha.

Might be possible with the Canon 'Privilege Purchase' program .... :think:

Why does Canon want to build such a long zoom lens into its flagship non-interchangeable-lens camera? They should have stuck to a 24-70mm f/2.8 equivalent. As a Canon shooter, I find the Fuji X-Pro1 much more interesting that this G1X. Sigh.