Canon EOS SLR system NEWBIE guide.

matthewgjs said:
newbie to SLR .. EOS 30 is better or 50 ? any advice from veterens ?

:dunno: :dunno:

I have the 30 and it's an improvement over the 50, performance also better.

" Tamron SP AF28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) "

Hi, what is the meaning of XR, Di, LD , IS

Im very new in this photography world.

Well, I know for sure IS means 'Image Stabiliser'.

You could say it's 'anti-shake' to a certain extent. Usually IS lenses are used by people shooting sports or other fast-paced stuff.

LD means Low Depression glasses
XR means somethings like a technology to make the lens smaller and lighter.
Di means the lens is aimed for Digital Camera but you can use it for full fram camera as well
They also have Di-II which can only be used for 1.6 frame sized sensor.

LD means Low Depression glasses
XR means somethings like a technology to make the lens smaller and lighter.
Di means the lens is aimed for Digital Camera but you can use it for full fram camera as well
They also have Di-II which can only be used for 1.6 frame sized sensor.

LD = low dispersion

Sorry, wrong spelling;)
By the way I want to add a little bit.
XR (Extra Refractive Index) glass to optimize the optical quality throughout the entire zoom range

400D with kit for $1400, is that a good buy?

You can buy the canon lenses at most major camera stores. Check out the usual suspects such as CP, AP, TCW, MsColor. John 3:16 etc...
Some of the shops have equote through email, get one from them or alternatively call them for a quote. The prices should not vary very much.

As for whether it produce sharp pictures without IS? depends on light level which will determine your shutter speed. Make sure you can hold your camera steady with the shutter speed suggested by your camera or you will have to use a tripod. And sharp pictures are relative. The cheap lenses are fine until you see what the expensive lenses can do. :) Seriously, the cheap tele lenses are really fine for starting purposes.

Can anyone show two photos of the same location taken with a cheap lens and an expensive lens? That would help newbies like me appreciate the difference in quality that you talk about and whether it is worth investing in. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.. ;p

anybdy has any such pic?

Crop Factor for EOS cameras.

1.6x

EOS 300D
EOS D30/D60/10D

1.3x

EOS 1D
EOS 1D Mark II

1.0x (full frame)

EOS 1Ds

For example, if you mount a 28-105 on a 300D body with a crop factor of 1.6x. The effective focal length is 28x1.6 - 105x1.6 = 45 - 168

can anyone tell me what this crop factor actually means? and what do u understand from "45 - 168" ?? Thanks for the help..

can anyone tell me what this crop factor actually means? and what do u understand from "45 - 168" ?? Thanks for the help..

Let me try ah..

Ok traditionally 35mm film camera uses obviously 35mm film. In a digital camera, the film is replaced by the image-capturing sensor, either the ccd or the cmos. However due to costs, it is VERY expensive to make a full 35mm-sized sensor. Hence they reduced it in most cameras, even for dslrs. U look at the price of 1Ds you know liaoz.

Ok this is the tricky part which i'm not 100% sure about. Experts pls correct me. When u use a smaller sensor, u are able to capture light from a smaller angle only. This is effectively cropping in on a central portion of a 35mm sensor. When they tell u that crop factor is 1.3x, it means that the sensor on that cam is 1)smaller than 35 mm and 2)effectively cropping/ zooming in by 1.3x. That is to say, if u have a 50mm lense in front of it, you must not forget to factor for the 1.3x magnification provided inadvertedly by the sensor. Your resultant focal length would be 50 x 1.3 = 65mm

Let me try ah..

Ok traditionally 35mm film camera uses obviously 35mm film. In a digital camera, the film is replaced by the image-capturing sensor, either the ccd or the cmos. However due to costs, it is VERY expensive to make a full 35mm-sized sensor. Hence they reduced it in most cameras, even for dslrs. U look at the price of 1Ds you know liaoz.

Ok this is the tricky part which i'm not 100% sure about. Experts pls correct me. When u use a smaller sensor, u are able to capture light from a smaller angle only. This is effectively cropping in on a central portion of a 35mm sensor. When they tell u that crop factor is 1.3x, it means that the sensor on that cam is 1)smaller than 35 mm and 2)effectively cropping/ zooming in by 1.3x. That is to say, if u have a 50mm lense in front of it, you must not forget to factor for the 1.3x magnification provided inadvertedly by the sensor. Your resultant focal length would be 50 x 1.3 = 65mm

ok, make sense.. thanks. but how is this piece of information useful to a photographer? :think:

ok, make sense.. thanks. but how is this piece of information useful to a photographer? :think:

for one, it determines wat kind of lenses u buy... say for my 30D crop factor of 1.6, a 50mm EF lense on it effectively would be 80mm thereabouts

Can read this wiki for a clearer understanding

Let me try ah..

The 'magnification' part is a misconception.

No magnification is involved.

What the crop factor means is that it crops only the central part of your lens' effective angle of view by the given crop factor (1.3/1.6x), instead of the full effective angle of view.

When people mention the multiplication of focal length, it isn't actually 'zooming', but perspective. A 30mm lens will still look like its magnification/zoom is at 30mm, but it's perspective/angle of coverage will be equivalent to that of a 48mm lens.

Hope you understand. No magnification, just cutting.

A 30mm lens will still look like its magnification/zoom is at 30mm, but it's perspective/angle of coverage will be equivalent to that of a 48mm lens.

i guess u ment equivalent to that of a 48mm lens of a 35mm film camera? ;)

i gt myself a deal at this :

300D
lens hood
uv filter
view finder
28mm to 200mm EF3.5 / EF5.6
xtra battery
pouch
charger
strap
basic cleaning kit

total $880... scratchless 300D

some tell me its a lousy buy.... some say gd... u all think? :think:

i gt myself a deal at this :

300D
lens hood
uv filter
view finder
28mm to 200mm EF3.5 / EF5.6
xtra battery
pouch
charger
strap
basic cleaning kit

total $880... scratchless 300D

some tell me its a lousy buy.... some say gd... u all think? :think:

how do u buy a view finder? isn't it suppose to be part of the camer?
anyway, i think it's quite a good buy considering the it comes with a 300D and a 28mm to 200mm lens (no idea what's the actual price of it, but i think it's not below $500?)

i think the seller is quite generous to even give you his cleaning kit already.

other profeffessional out there please comment? :angel:

EDIT: just found out your lens could cost

EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM S$1,100

EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 S$960

EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM S$4,890

so do you think it's worth it? :)

how do u buy a view finder? isn't it suppose to be part of the camer?
anyway, i think it's quite a good buy considering the it comes with a 300D and a 28mm to 200mm lens (no idea what's the actual price of it, but i think it's not below $500?)

i think the seller is quite generous to even give you his cleaning kit already.

other profeffessional out there please comment? :angel:

EDIT: just found out your lens could cost

EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM S$1,100

EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 S$960

EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM S$4,890

so do you think it's worth it? :)

Could be an old, already-discontinued Canon lens? Definitely not the L. 28-200 only, not 300.