Canon EOS SLR system NEWBIE guide.

Nice work dude...thumb up for you :thumbsup:

for me a newbie i will get a

Body:
EOS50e (2ndhand around $250)

Lens:
Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ($450-$600)
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM ($150-$300)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ($100-$130)

Other:
380EX
BP-50
Lowpro 300AW

Kelvin^Newbie said:
maybe just that it is too new and no one know the RP of this camera...

I see... the advert is $498 for the camera with kit lens 28-105mm.

By the way, out of the still in production models, namely EOS 66, EOS 300v and EOS 300. What is the difference between those?

Which of these should I choose if I were to get a film SLR?

Please dun recommend me 2nd hand bodies, I have had more experience (not related to camera though) dealing with unpleasant and irresponsible traders to avoid trying 2nd hand. (UNLESS, the seller is reputable :) )

coca88 said:
Hi Chaotic ,

What about the eos 30 ? Is it a consumer camera or a professional camera ;)

It's prosumer...... below the professional bodies but above the entry level...

Kelvin^Newbie said:
Nice work dude...thumb up for you :thumbsup:

for me a newbie i will get a

Body:
EOS50e (2ndhand around $250)

Lens:
Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ($450-$600)
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM ($150-$300)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ($100-$130)

Other:
380EX
BP-50
Lowpro 300AW
why would u recommend the 380ex? i'd rather get the 420ex imho because you have the swivel function that the 380ex doesnt... imagine if you're taking vertical shots and your flash illuminates just one half of your subject more than the other half....

fooey said:
why would u recommend the 380ex? i'd rather get the 420ex imho because you have the swivel function that the 380ex doesnt... imagine if you're taking vertical shots and your flash illuminates just one half of your subject more than the other half....

Huh?? What u mean by illuminating one half of the subject and having the swivel helps eliminate this??? I dun understand the reasoning.... any vertical shot will cause a lop sided illumination (by any hotshoe flash) since the source of light comes from one side. Unless u are referring to bouncing the flash which only minimizes the directional quality of the flash pulse but does not eliminate it at all... in fact this kind of flash is particularly useful for portrait scenes as it can cast very interesting shadows.....

TME said:
Huh?? What u mean by illuminating one half of the subject and having the swivel helps eliminate this??? I dun understand the reasoning.... any vertical shot will cause a lop sided illumination (by any hotshoe flash) since the source of light comes from one side. Unless u are referring to bouncing the flash which only minimizes the directional quality of the flash pulse but does not eliminate it at all... in fact this kind of flash is particularly useful for portrait scenes as it can cast very interesting shadows.....

Yeah i agree with you.. cos i just try it out on my sis ... :bsmilie:

gd day, Chaotic...
many thks for yr detailed write-up on Camera/Lens

This is Kevin.
Briefly, I'm a layman in term of photography.
Presently owning a Canon E0888 with stock len, using such only on occasions otherwise will be in cold storage most of the time.

Due to go on family vacation in NZ at the end of the month,
Just comtemplating to change to a wider/zoom len..for picture, scenary taking during the holiday..the abv came into my mind, alternatively the USED Canon 28-105 mm USM (2nd choice).

I wud welcome yr frank opinion and other forumners,
if it is feasible to get such len or the Higher End USM len.

No flaming Pls.

Thks/Kevin

tec28 said:
gd day, Chaotic...
many thks for yr detailed write-up on Camera/Lens

This is Kevin.
Briefly, I'm a layman in term of photography.
Presently owning a Canon E0888 with stock len, using such only on occasions otherwise will be in cold storage most of the time.

Due to go on family vacation in NZ at the end of the month,
Just comtemplating to change to a wider/zoom len..for picture, scenary taking during the holiday..the abv came into my mind, alternatively the USED Canon 28-105 mm USM (2nd choice).

I wud welcome yr frank opinion and other forumners,
if it is feasible to get such len or the Higher End USM len.

No flaming Pls.

Thks/Kevin

Since u are on a holiday, u dun really need USM, u just need a wider lens. I recommend less than 28mm and at least 24mm. It would be good if u could get a 17-35 or 19-35mm second hand, thrid party like Tokina or Sigma would do. U would like to take in as much as possible in a scenery shot. The 35mm end would be pretty good for tighter shots in a restaurant, place of interest or hotel. But you won't go wrong with a 24-85mm (either Canon or third party). USM costs more. If that is not an issue, then it's a bonus. It just helps u focus faster, but if u are not having lots of night photography then it really doesn't add much to the package. U have to ask yourself if u are going to shoot a lot with the lens...

Hope this helps. I also notice in my shots that most of the time on holiday, my focal lengths seldom range beyond 80mm and the maximum 135mm end was used only mainly for taking building shots (like the clock face of the clock tower at Hampden Court, London)......

Here are some nice comparison charts among the different models across the EOS classes (along the different family lines--consumer, prosumer, pro, DSLR):

http://photonotes.org/reviews/

In the middle of the page. Hope it helps future buyers make a more informed decision on what to get.

coca88 said:
Hi Chaotic ,

What about the eos 30 ? Is it a consumer camera or a professional camera ;)

Prosumer as I state in my article. :)

mpenza said:
for the 75-300 range, you could consider Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super II and Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro. Note the full name as there are different versions out in the market. Both are supposed to be sharper than the Canon 75-300. Good shooting techniques, use of support will get you sharp pics without IS even if light levels are not very good.

I have briefly used the Tamron and found the zoom ring smoother than the Sigma's which I have. Image quality should be similar.

In fact, I am quite happy with my Canon EF 75-300 ultrasonic lens especially with my new EOS 300D. I can get quite a sharp picture with this lens. :vhappy:

New Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM ($450) @ TCW
SP AF28-75/2.8XR Di IF ($580) @ peninsula 02-16/17
SP AF24-135mm F/3.5-5.6 AD Asp (IF)($580) @ peninsula 02-16/17

There's a good series of articles for Canon Users here (some of these could be more marketing though):
http://www.camera.canon.com.my/archive/photography.htm

I read one on lenses and seems to be quite good:
http://www.camera.canon.com.my/archive/photography/art/art21/index.htm

Quoted from the article:
Canon makes three grades of lenses for its EF line-up. The budget-priced EF lenses, those that come with plastic mounts and use either the Micro Motor (MM) or Micro USM, are designed especially for beginners and amateur users. They are the EF 28-80mm/3.5-5.6 IV USM, EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 USM, EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. The non-USM lenses of the same focal lengths are those that incorporate the Micro Motor for the AF feature. The EF 50mm f/1.8 II also uses the Micro Motor and is part of the beginners' lenses.

The EF lenses for the advanced amateur and semi-professional shooters are those using Ring-type USM with Full-time Manual Focusing, such as the EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM or the EF 100mm f/2.0 USM. Also included in this group are the USM zoom lenses such as the EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 28-l05mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and the EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM.

EF lenses that utilized the previous version of Canon's AF motors, the AFD (Arch Form Drive) like the EF 24mm f/2.8 AFD, EF 28mm f/2.8 AFD, EF 35mm f/2.0 AFD and the EF 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, are also included in the advanced amateur group of lenses.

The L-series of Canon EF lenses, is of course, designed for professional users. These "L" (Luxury) lenses are manufactured at higher tolerances, higher specs, with precision optical elements such as artificially-grown Calcium Fluorite, Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) and aspherical-shaped lenses to combat problems like chromatic and spherical aberrations. Unlike the beginner and amateur EF lenses, which use polycarbonate plastics, most L-series lenses are housed in durable, weather-resistant and metal-constructed barrels. This is because professional photographers will subject such lenses to various stages of rough usage, hence durability is important.

There is also an unofficial "fourth" group of lenses in the EF line-up - they are the special-purpose types that anyone can use, regardless of whether they are beginners, amateurs, advanced amateurs, semi- or full-time professionals. They are comprised of the EF 50mm f/2.5 AFD, EF 100mm f/2.8 MM and EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macros, the EF 24mm f/3.5L MM, EF 45mm f/2.8 MM and EF 90mm f/2.8 MM Tilt & Shifts and the 15mm f/2.8 AFD full-frame fish-eye lens.

The EF lenses for the beginners are the most affordable in the range while those for the advanced amateurs and semi-professionals are also reasonably-priced. The L-series lenses are priced in the higher bracket, and beyond-the-budget of most beginners and amateurs. However, there is no rule that a beginner or an amateur can't use the Ring-type USM or even the L-series of EF lenses. If they can afford them, why not?

Alternatively, Canon's professional users are also known to have invested in the non-L lenses type for their work, especially the fast aperture wide-angles or medium telephotos like the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM and the EF 100mm f/2.0 USM or zoom lenses such as the EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Apart from being cheaper than L-series lenses, they are also lighter in weight.

Hi, i'm a newbie. i'm currently using eos66. can i know what are the lenses and films i can use for my camera? pls guide me! thanks a lot! btw, may i know what is the price range for eos 10D?

AgnesKjaer said:
Hi, i'm a newbie. i'm currently using eos66. can i know what are the lenses and films i can use for my camera? pls guide me! thanks a lot! btw, may i know what is the price range for eos 10D?

you can use any lens canon EF lens and third party lens that uses the canon EF mount expect the 18-55EFs bundled with the 300D.

you can use most films expect most IR infra red films.

price range for 10D is new $2650-$2750, used is about $2200 or thereabouts.

ok thanks a lot. but y not the EF18-55? u mean i cant mount the 300D lens on my eos66? do u mind naming me the specific films like the brand or the whole name of those i can use for my 66?

btw, any advice for me if i'm planning to upgrade to 10D from eos66? i've been using my 66 for 2 years and thought i might wanna upgrade..