Canon EOS SLR system NEWBIE guide.

hey guys,

I actually havent got my dslr, i am planning to get nikon d90 but a friend of mine is selling off his canon 450d due to he is going to army. He bought his canon is also 2nd hand so is he is the 2nd owner and if he pass over to me i will be the 3rd owner. Back to 6mth ago he bought the full set for about 1.5k i dunnno what was incl inside. Now he planning to let go 1/2 price. I am not too sure izzit a good grab for the item. I know he love his canon and i assume he take good care of it. I thought of getting it and play with it 1st since i have no knowladage of DSLR, once i get hold on it then i upgrade the camara. A lot of time i am in the rush to buy the camara cause i really love shooting but thinking of long term investment in the enquirment it totally hold me back. I hope someone can give me a good basic guide for canon item as most of the time i only get feedback for nikon. I am not saying that canon is not a good camara but i think it will be a good camara for me to start of my DSLR life. :)

hey guys,

I actually havent got my dslr, i am planning to get nikon d90 but a friend of mine is selling off his canon 450d due to he is going to army. He bought his canon is also 2nd hand so is he is the 2nd owner and if he pass over to me i will be the 3rd owner. Back to 6mth ago he bought the full set for about 1.5k i dunnno what was incl inside. Now he planning to let go 1/2 price. I am not too sure izzit a good grab for the item. I know he love his canon and i assume he take good care of it. I thought of getting it and play with it 1st since i have no knowladage of DSLR, once i get hold on it then i upgrade the camara. A lot of time i am in the rush to buy the camara cause i really love shooting but thinking of long term investment in the enquirment it totally hold me back. I hope someone can give me a good basic guide for canon item as most of the time i only get feedback for nikon. I am not saying that canon is not a good camara but i think it will be a good camara for me to start of my DSLR life. :)

you are right in thinking of long term investment but you are looking at the wrong target for that investment. look towards your lenses as the long term investment. they are the expensive ones and the ones that makes the most difference in my opinion. of course, some cameras give better features that MIGHT make a difference in your shots but i still think you cant take a good pictures on a 5DMk2 or d90 if i give you only a magnifying glass but u might be able to do better with a nice L lens on a disposable camera. (just an analogy guys dont flame me with details)

think about the system you want to use. if you get canon then try to stick with canon since changing system will set you back in terms of $$$. change/upgrade your body as needed (depending on your $$$ and needs) but upgrading lens/glass is painful and frequently draining on your wallet.

remember Lens first then body

Anyone know the size of the tripod thread on 5D MarkII? 1/4" or 3/8"? TIA.:cool::)

Hi guys,
I'm new to DSLR world. After seeking around for brand and spec also the most importantly budget, I got my self Canon 1000D Kit (18-55 lens) 3 days ago. I had little training from the shop that I bought it from (Bandung, Indonesia). I played around much with focus, zoom, speed etc etc. I often go to track for bike and car racing, I think the lens that I'm using right now is not enough for long distance. I need suggestion from you guys for which lens I should get? Couple of my friends told me to get 18-200 lens which they said all-around lens, but some friends told me to get 55-200 lens. After searching on the net, I found other brands like Tamron or Sigma. Any of you guys here recommend which brand should I get for 18-200 lens? I know the 55-200 lens from Canon is good for pocket value. But then again, if I got 18-200 lens, I might sell my 18-55 lens since the other has covered it. Any suggestion which lens to get? 55-200 from Canon, Tamron 18-200/18-250, Canon 18-200?

PS. Don't forget, good quality picture is a must for me :D

Hi all, this my first post here..
Got sm ques to ask, hoping for kind souls here to help answer my ques..:)
Im getting a 1000D, but like to know whether should i top up 199 to purchase the add lens??:dunno:

u need a lens anyway, nobody can shoot with the body alone. but if u understand what kind of photography u wish to do and what lens would b more suitable for u, then go ahead and purchase the suitable one.

Hi all, this my first post here..
Got sm ques to ask, hoping for kind souls here to help answer my ques..:)
Im getting a 1000D, but like to know whether should i top up 199 to purchase the add lens??:dunno:

Are you planning to get a 'Better' lens (then the Kit Lens) for the 1000D ??

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for instance..... if Not, then you will NEED to have a lens for your 1000D

Hi diver-hloc, now EOS 1000D comes with Kit lens(EF S18-55IS), then they got this Purchase-with-purchase of EF 75-300 III USM @ $199. Im still considering wether to take up this $199 offer.. :dunno:

ohh... if u're amature and don't plan to be too pro yet, y not? both lenses are good enuff to cover the ranges u normally shoot in. but if u seldom zoom in, then dun bother to get it, cos you'll find the constant changing of leses troublesome. and if like to zoom in and out, then consider a 18-200mm, dun need change lens to cover the same range, but u'll loose the 200-300mm range though.

HI GeckoZ, may i know whether is it possible to use just e EF 75-300 III USM all e time?

tt's impossible... 75-300mm is a tele range. normal range is 50mm. if you wants to shoot at 75mm, u'll have to step a distance backward compared to other photogs shooting using a normal range, tt's very inconvenient.
and for a 75mm, u won't be possible to take group photos with/of your friends without having to go 1 meter away from them.

one more point to note, 75-300mm is a very heavy lens. it causes camera shake easily which will affect your photo very much in low light. you wouldn't want to lug a heavy lens each time you bring your camera out as well.

try going to the stores and ask for hands on experience, you'll know what i mean. =)

hi all

i tryin to find a lens for potrait (for my new born baby :p)

is prime lens a good 1?

newbie in slr, and to all the "veri professional term" ...:p

hope someone can recommend me a decent brand with decent price..:p

Finally collected my 1000D from Canon service ctr y'day.. But now a lot of ?????? around my head haha.. cos really dono how to make e best of the machine other than using e modes to shoot auto.

Last edited:
^At least try playing P, Tv, and Av modes

Im new to dSLR, and Im currently thinking of getting the EOS 500D body with a Sigma 18-250mm lens, though it will cost slightly more than just getting the 500D kit II.

Was also wondering what are the standard items that come with the 500D body only. Are items like Canon bag, tripod, scren protector, etc standard issue items, on top of the 8Gb SDHC card and EF lens book?

Is it true that u would usually have to pay more if you wanted all these accessories? And what would be a resaonable price for the EOS 500D body + these accessories. Because I thknk I may need them since Im new.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you ;)

depends on the time and shops, and if there are any promotions. you should go down to funan and scout a few shops first. i would really recommend cathay at peninsular which is next door to funan. also check out the priced guides in clubsnap to give you a rough idea. standard free stuff would be SD card and EOS bag. other than that normally youll have to pay more for the rest.

Hi there, i purchased my 1000d last december and am feeling the need to move on from the 18-55 kit lens. i enjoy doing potraits, close up on hair, make-up, clothes, etc. more like fashion photography i suppose.

i've been to a shop to search for a third party prime or macro lens and was quoted 160. like an idiot, i forgot which brand it was. but is that the usual price? my budget's around 150-180bucks.

please recommend me reputable shops and any good third party prime/macro lenses. i don't think i can afford the canon ones.

many thanks!

if you like portraits look at a prime lens..
50mm f1.8 is only about $110
good cheap lens to experiment with

Hi there,

I have made up my mind to get a DSLR since i have outgrown my IXUS. I am looking at entry level DSLR and am trying to decide between a 1000D or a 450D. I read a few reviews and it seems like the differences are:
1000d: 10 megapixel, 7 AF points, 2.5 inch LCD
450d: 12 megapixel, 9 AF points, 3 inch LCD

Shots i usually take: potraits, scenary, street shots, food, special occassions/events.

Anyone who is familiar with both cameras? Your advices and comments are much appreciated.

:D

450d kinda wins in everything there doesnt it? :p