Canon EOS SLR system NEWBIE guide.

Hi,

I'm just bought my 500D last Saturday, I had took a few photo from basic mode & creative mode... the quality picture look not so sharp and clear...

If using Advance mode like P, Av or Tv, what setting need to pay attention to make the photo look clear & sharp & nice color...?

Hope can gain something ... hee thanks

Hi, i'm still learning too.
I think you need to understand more on the techniques. Meaning to say, which setting to use.
Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, White-Balance, Explosure, focusing etc all will affect the quality of the shot.

i believe most user uses either Av or Tv mode. you just need to shoot & shoot, practice more.

Also note that if you're dealing shots with slower shutter speed, you should either use higher ISO, or use a tripod, or use the flash.

Happy practicing~!

Hi, i'm still learning too.
I think you need to understand more on the techniques. Meaning to say, which setting to use.
Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, White-Balance, Explosure, focusing etc all will affect the quality of the shot.

i believe most user uses either Av or Tv mode. you just need to shoot & shoot, practice more.

Also note that if you're dealing shots with slower shutter speed, you should either use higher ISO, or use a tripod, or use the flash.

Happy practicing~!

Hi Thanks comment
After a few week using.. my photo quality enhance a lot.... :)

May i know how does a camera's shutter count affects it usability and around how long it will start to give problem if based on normal usage and normal handling ? thanks.

May i know how does a camera's shutter count affects it usability and around how long it will start to give problem if based on normal usage and normal handling ? thanks.

Hi FiSh23,

When you bought you computer system, I am sure you would have checked the MTBF of your harddrive, and this is rated usually in hours. Have you been counting the number of hours your harddisk has been working?

In fact, the MTBF or Mean Time Before Failure is just a guideline. So, with you camera, depending on which model you have, it is also a rough guideline. Some cameras, like the mid-range ones, may have an average shutter count of 150,000. For some users, they may have encountered problems way before they hit the magical 150k. And for some, they can still keep shooting past that number.

If I am not wrong, some users have cited in CS that the cost of replacing the shutter facilities may be as much as $300-$500, but please don't quote me on that, as Canon Service Centre is still the most reliable answer to servicing issues and costs.

So, don't worry about the shutter count issue, enjoy your shoots, and snap away! If it does decide to fail, then it is just your luck. Maybe by then, you would have enjoyed capture the magical moments whilst it was still working, and you can move on to a newer and better camera!

Just my thoughts on this issue.

All the best and click away!

Hi FiSh23,

When you bought you computer system, I am sure you would have checked the MTBF of your harddrive, and this is rated usually in hours. Have you been counting the number of hours your harddisk has been working?

In fact, the MTBF or Mean Time Before Failure is just a guideline. So, with you camera, depending on which model you have, it is also a rough guideline. Some cameras, like the mid-range ones, may have an average shutter count of 150,000. For some users, they may have encountered problems way before they hit the magical 150k. And for some, they can still keep shooting past that number.

If I am not wrong, some users have cited in CS that the cost of replacing the shutter facilities may be as much as $300-$500, but please don't quote me on that, as Canon Service Centre is still the most reliable answer to servicing issues and costs.

So, don't worry about the shutter count issue, enjoy your shoots, and snap away! If it does decide to fail, then it is just your luck. Maybe by then, you would have enjoyed capture the magical moments whilst it was still working, and you can move on to a newer and better camera!

Just my thoughts on this issue.

All the best and click away!

Thanks for the info.. :)

Have been putting off getting my DSLR for the longest time. Think I will finally get the 500D. Basically, I am into landscape, nature and macro photography. Portraiture will be something I will attempt later on. Have been fiddling with the limited aperture priority settings on my G10 and think it's time I really move up to a DSLR since I just cannot achieve some of the effects with the prosumer.

In view of the stuff that I intend to shoot (landscape & macro), should I get the twin lens Kit or Kit II? Guys, would appreciate your views as I am still a total noob when it comes to lenses.

Thanks! :)

Have been putting off getting my DSLR for the longest time. Think I will finally get the 500D. Basically, I am into landscape, nature and macro photography. Portraiture will be something I will attempt later on. Have been fiddling with the limited aperture priority settings on my G10 and think it's time I really move up to a DSLR since I just cannot achieve some of the effects with the prosumer.

In view of the stuff that I intend to shoot (landscape & macro), should I get the twin lens Kit or Kit II? Guys, would appreciate your views as I am still a total noob when it comes to lenses.

Thanks! :)
IF you can wait a couple of months the 550D might get here

hi. does anybody know how long we should register the camera after we buy it? i mean for the extended warranty.
i checked the warranty and it doesnt state anything about that..

if we dont need to register too soon, i might as well wait until they have another registration promotion that is more interesting than the current one..

hi i am newbies here with canon 550D with kit (ef s18-55 is) too :)

As part of the NEWBIE guide, I do like to share with everyone in this NEWBIE section on how to get more Picture Styles on your new EOS apart from the 6 default Picture Styles loaded on your new camera.

Default Picture Style on every EOS - Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful and Monochrome.

Extended Picture Style - Studio Portrait, Snapshot Portrait, Nostalgia, Clear, Twilight, Emerald and Autumn Hues

Not Enough? Canon have released the Extended Picture Style for every EOS. Read the article below on how and where to get them into your beloved camera. Apparently,you can actually upload them into the camera using the EOS Utility. Check them out and you never know when you need them when taking outdoor shooting.

Read the full article here.

Let us all get good photos out there. ;)

Hi guys!

did anybody tried copying dpp from one computer to another?

I installed the application to may personal laptop but i also want to put it to my company issued laptop which has restrictions that prohibits me from installing programs. so what i did was, I copied the EOS utility from my personal laptop to the other laptop and it works just fine. I also did the same for DPP, however, when i click the .exe file, it didnt worked. no program prompted.

seems like almost time for an update! :) i feel ancient.

How to control 2 parameters (Av + Tv) yet with let the camera
decide on ISO using auto-light metering.
i.e semi-manual mode ?

Hi!

I would like to confirm whether all EF lenses can be used on the current digital SLR bodies? i.e. Will my lenses that I used on my film-back EOS 300 (non-digital) be able to be used with say the EOS 550D without any major issues besides having to keep in mind the crop factor?

hey guys. I am getting my 550D tonight choosing between basic kit and Kit II which is more suitable for me as starter and also I am into landscape, nature and Portraiture.

Hi Sn0wMaN,

If you can afford Kit II, get it, as it has a longer reach.

As for landscape, nature, and portraiture, both Kit lenses will be fine for a newbie. Learn to shoot with the kit lens first. Until you've mastered the basics, you may then consider changing the lens to a better one.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the purchase :) Shoot more, post more, ask more!

Cheers!

most pro i will get base kit with 18-55mm than like wat u say slowly upgrade.

now i am bother by paying 1349 for only 8gb + cumpler bag or 1449 (maybe can ask for further discount) + tripod, SD card, EOS bag and etc...

btw wat is a UV filter

Truthfully, near the equator, we don't experience much UV light, which the UV filter is supposed to keep out. But the secondary of using it to protect your lens' glass comes into play :)

HTH.

In regards to getting the free gifts, I am not sure where you purchase it from, but if you do shop around, you might be able to get better free gifts. I hope you are not getting it from the current PC Show, as the prices are the fixed prices from Canon, and not the discount that the individual retail stores are able to give you.

As to which shops to get from, here maybe a helpful list.

CP-1: Cathay Photo, #01-11, 14 Peninsula Plaza (Main) | 6337-4274 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-2: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) | 6338-7783 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-3: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) | 6338-0451 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M: Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square | 6339-6188 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
JO: John 3:16, #05-37 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6337-2877 | 6337-1897 | j316ps@gmail.com
MS: MS Color (Main), 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C | 6457-6380 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
MS: MS Color (AMK Hub), 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #02-24 | 6452-2828 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
OP: Orient Photo, #06-31 | 53 Sim Lim Square | 6339-1035 | sales@orientfoto.com.sg
PA-N: Parisilk (North), 7 Transit Road | 6452-1593
PA-HV: Parisilk (Central), 15A Lorong Liput | 6466-6002
PA-E: Parisilk (East), Blk 214 #01-179 Bedok Central | 6441-6066
SLRR: SLR Revolution, #05-K7 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6336-8767 | rayslr.revo@gmail.com
TCW: The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street #01-31 | 6336-1956 6336-7808 | tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK: T.K. Foto Technic, #02-14 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6292-8167 | sales@tkfoto.com.sg

Cheers!

thanks bro for ur detail info.

getting fro HN at hougang, praying for further discount like 5-10% dunno they will give anot..
i will try to call other shop to check. Call up john price not that good, AP give me 1349 package