Canon EOS SLR system NEWBIE guide.

Hi all,
I'm a newbie and planning to get a Canon 40D tomorrow. The current package comes up 2 lenses(18-55 and 55-250). Are there any other accesories I should get together with it? My aim is to take portraits of family members and also during get-togethers as well as scenary when i go for my trip next month.:D

if you take a lot of indoor pic of your family..an external flash would be good...(i use built in one)...just up the power a bit more.(no $$ for external flash yet)

IMO,i suggest you buy first(standard kit set) and use...i think a lot of newbies fell into the trap of buying this buying that...in the end most of the stuff are under utilised...

if you take a lot of indoor pic of your family..an external flash would be good...(i use built in one)...just up the power a bit more.(no $$ for external flash yet)

IMO,i suggest you buy first(standard kit set) and use...i think a lot of newbies fell into the trap of buying this buying that...in the end most of the stuff are under utilised...

if indoor shots can make use of available natural light can save on flash as well. 40D got a good high ISO.

Hi,

Bought a new 1000D canon. Anyone know about why the camera seem to have a problem producing focus or clear shots at night with flash turn on.

Is there supposed to be some bug or problem with this camera as many shots seem to turn out very soft compare to my friend's D90 when we take the same subjects.

Is it the kit lens or problem with e body?

cheers,
qlalz

Hi,

Bought a new 1000D canon. Anyone know about why the camera seem to have a problem producing focus or clear shots at night with flash turn on.

Is there supposed to be some bug or problem with this camera as many shots seem to turn out very soft compare to my friend's D90 when we take the same subjects.

Is it the kit lens or problem with e body?

cheers,
qlalz
It's your handshake.

GMAN

Hi ricetea88,

thank you for your prompt reply.
But even with flash on at night? At such 1/60 sec shutter speed, I dont think its due to the handshake since the soft/unclear quality could be seen in many photos taken.

How do i know if i need lens calibration or camera calibration?

thank you once again for any more suggestions and advice.

cheers,
CM

Hi ricetea88,

thank you for your prompt reply.
But even with flash on at night? At such 1/60 sec shutter speed, I dont think its due to the handshake since the soft/unclear quality could be seen in many photos taken.

How do i know if i need lens calibration or camera calibration?

thank you once again for any more suggestions and advice.

cheers,
CM

did you try sharpening the images?

did you try sharpening the images?
so its true that compare to Nikon, canon shot's need post editing to sharpen to match up.

so its true that compare to Nikon, canon shot's need post editing to sharpen to match up.

yes that's very true. Many people find manual sharpening much clearer then nikon's auto sharpening. but ofcos, u need to get the method right.

hi all, i used to dabble in SLR photography many years back (8-9?) But gave up due to time constraints/$... I'm interested in picking it up again. Need some advice on the suitable equipment to get.

I have a few old Contax lenses. I heard that these old lenses can be reused on the DSLR bodies, but requires an adaptor. Is this adaptor costly? And how do I ensure that they are compatible with the new cam body?

Initially was looking @ Olympus e520.. In Dec 08, there was this shop going for $1.1k, dual lens kit. But being cash strapped, i missed the deal. Recently, Nikon is offering the D40 dual lens kit at around the same price too.

A fren of mine recommends that I take the Canon 40D/60D. Reason being that Nikon lenses are way more exp than Canon ones.

That's just what I've encountered so far, need some valuable advice from the experienced gurus here. Thanks in advance!

I have a few old Contax lenses. I heard that these old lenses can be reused on the DSLR bodies, but requires an adaptor. Is this adaptor costly? And how do I ensure that they are compatible with the new cam body?

Erm.. i'm not sure about the old grandfather lenses, but if you wants to check for compatibility u can go to camera shops like Cathey to enquire about it?

Initially was looking @ Olympus e520.. In Dec 08, there was this shop going for $1.1k, dual lens kit. But being cash strapped, i missed the deal. Recently, Nikon is offering the D40 dual lens kit at around the same price too.

A fren of mine recommends that I take the Canon 40D/60D. Reason being that Nikon lenses are way more exp than Canon ones.

What i heard is Canon lens are much expensive then nikon's. I'm using canon and did not research of nikon's lens so i don't have an idea.
the dual lens deal is a good bargain, they are not some of the best lenses, but good enough for everyday use. for $1.1k u can get a good body, a normal and a zoom lens (i suppose), so why not consider it?

Erm.. i'm not sure about the old grandfather lenses, but if you wants to check for compatibility u can go to camera shops like Cathey to enquire about it?

What i heard is Canon lens are much expensive then nikon's. I'm using canon and did not research of nikon's lens so i don't have an idea.
the dual lens deal is a good bargain, they are not some of the best lenses, but good enough for everyday use. for $1.1k u can get a good body, a normal and a zoom lens (i suppose), so why not consider it?

Cathay pricing ok? I did not have a good experience years back when I bought a Nikon 3.2mp DSC.. their pricing was slightly pricier than elsewhere.

i'm not so into the dual lens promo... I guess they will be doing more dual-lens kit promos to attract consumers. I'm more concerned about getting a suitable cam body that can use back old lens + affordable new lens. =)

Probably i will get some stats of the old lens and enquire with the camera shops. Any other recommendations?

Cathay pricing ok? I did not have a good experience years back when I bought a Nikon 3.2mp DSC.. their pricing was slightly pricier than elsewhere.

i'm not so into the dual lens promo... I guess they will be doing more dual-lens kit promos to attract consumers. I'm more concerned about getting a suitable cam body that can use back old lens + affordable new lens. =)

Probably i will get some stats of the old lens and enquire with the camera shops. Any other recommendations?

hmm.. i'm not sure with cathay's pricing, but it's recommanded by many people. i bought my body and lenses at SLS. since ur old SLR is a Nikon's DSC then most probably it's lenses can only fit the new Nikon's DSLR...

hmm.. i'm not sure with cathay's pricing, but it's recommanded by many people. i bought my body and lenses at SLS. since ur old SLR is a Nikon's DSC then most probably it's lenses can only fit the new Nikon's DSLR...

ohh.. no no. my old SLR lenses are Contax lenses....
the Nikon DSC is just a normal point and shoot. No ext lens one. :sweat:

Hey everyone,

i just got my EOS 1000D ... I was wondering where can I get 3rd party grip (for cost reasons) but still functions reasonably well.

hi, im new with getting lenses. can i know most canon lens bought from any of the shop comes with warranty?

hi, im new with getting lenses. can i know most canon lens bought from any of the shop comes with warranty?

Yes most of them do comes with online warrenty. but b4 you make payment, it's best to double check with them again incase some don't.

Yes most of them do comes with online warrenty. but b4 you make payment, it's best to double check with them again incase some don't.

ok thank you.. :thumbsup:

hi guys im gonna get a 450D and was wondering which set would be better 18-55 kit or the 18-200 kit? i mean the price is different but is it worth it to get the 18-200mm lens or spend the extra cash to get another lens instead. thanks

hi guys im gonna get a 450D and was wondering which set would be better 18-55 kit or the 18-200 kit? i mean the price is different but is it worth it to get the 18-200mm lens or spend the extra cash to get another lens instead. thanks

with my knowledge i'd ask u to get a 18-200mm. it covers u more range with 1 lens. it's very convenient.

see what the pros have got to say.

i am newbie to DSLR... just want to check what type of lens is suitable for me? I love taking scenery, landscape and portrait photos. Occassionally macro and plants (not often so not necessary).

haven bought my cam yet though but thinking of buying body and lens separately. :)