Bangkok deals and tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnail

Jun 26, 2003
Hi guys,

will be goin to Bangkok in late november and wud like to know if there's any good deals on photography-related items there?

also, any tips on photography? m thinking of bringing slides n B+W.

:)

I would like to know as well... :)

frd, go go!
which part you you going?
If mainly the city and urban part, perhaps you might want to take B&W mainly.
But if you are also going to northern thai, then slides will be good too.
but bring both if it allows lor :)

And ya, bring your favourite slides/films lo. Provia 100F and Velvia 100 will be good. 400F will also be good for indoor shooting at some of the major places of interests. Else B&W offers you the option of pushing too, Tmax100 and 400, T400CN etc.

Not sure of the deals part, but can always go MBK and Chatuchak.
gnail said:
Hi guys,

will be goin to Bangkok in late november and wud like to know if there's any good deals on photography-related items there?

also, any tips on photography? m thinking of bringing slides n B+W.

:)

U can bring any film u want for thailand,not sure about the weather during november though.

shopping area = MBK and siam square ( ladies heaven )
Good & cheap food = chinatown area at nite ( shark's fin,birdnest,seafood )
seafood are sold by roadside hawkers
photography interest = street photography,lots of temples (wat arun is nice )
ah gua shows and sunsets at those riverside..
mode of transport there = Taxi all the way,dirt cheap (compared to s'pore) would advise against those tutuk tutuk

when u arrive at the airport,go get a city map of bangkok at the information counter :thumbsup:

There is a big festival in Thailand around mid November. It is called Loi Katong (or something like that). All the young men and young girls will make a little boat, put some flowers and a candle on the little boat and float in along the rivers. They normally do it in early evening and it is meant for praying for romance coming. If you can find your way to the rivers, you will like it.

Astin said:
There is a big festival in Thailand around mid November. It is called Loi Katong (or something like that). All the young men and young girls will make a little boat, put some flowers and a candle on the little boat and float in along the rivers. They normally do it in early evening and it is meant for praying for romance coming. If you can find your way to the rivers, you will like it.
best place to shoot is at chiangmai river as its e offical place for the WATER LIGHT FESTIVAL
Will Scan some pics tonite :eek:

wah best... I will be going there this Oct (3rd week)
please post more info.. would want to make it a street and cultural photography trip.. to capture the essence of Thailand on the streets

kex said:
U can bring any film u want for thailand,not sure about the weather during november though.

weather then will be dry n cooler as the monsoon season for them is over. =) best time to visit. but i'll just miss the Loi Katong tho :(

anyway, thks for all the info so far guys!!!!!

anyone has got more tips to share?

SniperD said:
wah best... I will be going there this Oct (3rd week)
please post more info.. would want to make it a street and cultural photography trip.. to capture the essence of Thailand on the streets

I'll be going there at that time too (22nd-25 Oct) :)
Found an interesting site of Bangkok info: www.stickmanbangkok.com
Stickman writes for the Bangkok Post....

What photo equipment are you lugging there? mmm... do you usually bring the tripod too (lugging it around may be inconvenient at times)?

Chiangmai river? I think it is Mae Ping (River Ping)
The 9-11 incident had the authorities in bangkok banning fireworks of all sort. but last year when I was in Chiangmai, it was soooo happening place. the crowd, the firework, the sounds of rockets (phewwww ....)
fanastic! they got 2 day for krathong floats, the small krathong and the big krathong. the big krathong is held in the last day of the festival.
the roadside massage is so affordable that I can have it everyday :)

when in bangkok, don't miss the river market (can't remember the name)
usually taking the free n easy package offers better value. of course the temples, palaces. the big weekend market, the river taxi & lokang (canal) taxi (hehehe, I'm serious here, the ride only 2-3 baht)

and yes, be very careful of tuk-tuk in bangkok. there was a jewellery scam happening when I was there.

have fun ... November is a goodtime as the weather is not that hot.

RuthBaby said:
best place to shoot is at chiangmai river as its e offical place for the WATER LIGHT FESTIVAL
Will Scan some pics tonite :eek:

zOOm said:
and yes, be very careful of tuk-tuk in bangkok. there was a jewellery scam happening when I was there.

The tuktuk jewellery scam is always there. Normally the driver will offer a free ride to a jewel shop. When you walk in, the friendly shop owner will tell you he has some real gems want to sell quickly, and ask you to pay immediately and you can make a quick profit by selling them when you go home.

Believe in them or not is up to you. Normally I don't accept free ride.

Awww... was in Chiang Mai in July... Nothing special... It's just another tourist spot to spend your money...

But U may like to get to Thailand's Highest peak (Don Inthanon) if the weather is clear. No point going up if it's cloudy. nothing to see... Actually, there's nothing to snap up there... no pt going up. Go up for the thrill of it only...

Or can try going Mae Hong Son. only a few hrs drive from ChiangMai. THere got lotsa scenery to take.

there is 2 cone shape temple at Don Inthanon
agree it's rather cloudy when I was there during nov

mae hong son is another backpacker town.
go there if you intend to visit some of those long neck, karen or long ear and black something something (sorrie can't remember soo much)

pai, another one with plenty of health massage available (not those lewd type) & hot spring nearby

somewhere along the path, there suspose to be a famous photography scenic spot whereby you can view the sea of clouds appearing at dawn.

and in nov, at khem Yam (sounds like), you got the whole valley of mexican sunflowers!!!! amazing sights. when at khem yam, visit the local school, make some donation to help those villages kids for their education please.

if you got time, drive round the mae hong son loop and enjoy the breathtaking scenary as well as really steep slopes (4WD recommended seriously)

AReality said:
Awww... was in Chiang Mai in July... Nothing special... It's just another tourist spot to spend your money...

But U may like to get to Thailand's Highest peak (Don Inthanon) if the weather is clear. No point going up if it's cloudy. nothing to see... Actually, there's nothing to snap up there... no pt going up. Go up for the thrill of it only...

Or can try going Mae Hong Son. only a few hrs drive from ChiangMai. THere got lotsa scenery to take.

Hmm... Apart from the scenery and phototaking, anywhere where we can get some photography stuff?

My sis's going next mth as well...

Me just returned from Bangkok holiday for 5days/4nights... didn't take much photos as it's a family outing... Will return there one day to do photo-taking of my own. Also if you are there, try to get the book Vanishing Bankok by their local photographer SURAT OSATHANUGRAH. An inspiring book on everyday life in the bustling capital. Costs ard 800 baht. Check out the website www.vanishingbangkok.com for the picture gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.