Assaulted at Fort Canning Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just want to share my bad experience with you

Today (24-Jan-09) i went to chinatown alone to take some pictures. I went there around 13:00 and i took some shots and i decided to go back at around 15:00. SO i took a walk towards bugis direction and i saw "Fort Canning Park" just across Funan Mall. Because i planned to go back to chinatown at the night so i think a detour to Fort Canning Park might be a good decision instead of go back to where i stay and come back again to chinatown.

I managed to circled around the park, it's a nice and beautiful park, made some shots. Soon i decided to take a rest inside the park because i felt pretty tired from walking, so i just sitting on a bench and reviewing my picture and typing sms to my friend. When suddenly someone (from a youngsters group) hit me from behind with a pretty solid wooden branch and made me bleed. I tried to chase them but i came to my sense and prioritize my condition over those youngsters. Luckily there is the western couple a bit further, so i screamed for help.

The male westerner immediately lend me a hand while his wife looking for assistance from the park security. The male westerner also helped me to call the police. I didn't managed to get his name but if you happened to read this i want you to know that i'm very grateful for what you've done for me.

I cover my head with my hand tried to stop the bleeding.. the bloods keep flowing down and spilled on top of my camera. I few minutes later the local security came and gave me first aid and soon enough the police and ambulance came to handle the accident and took me to hospital.

The took me to SGH and immediatley got taken care by the medics. So i ended up lucky, no bone fracture but i got around 10 stitches on my forehead.

Hi there, sorry to hear of what has happened to you, glad that you made a police report.

From your description and photos, I guess you got more than a hit on the back of your head... since the photo show an injury to your forehead as well. What exactly happened to your camera? Did it drop to the ground (muddy?) in the struggle?

Goodness, I hope they get caught by the police... :X

Last edited:
My blood boil reading this... these young punks are only brave in a group. I cannot understand why someone can do this. Gangsterism have no prospect here in Singapore... elsewhere Gangsters run large Businesses, here gangsters are some petty hooligans.

Wishing you a speedy recovery takada.

../azul123

Hi guys, again thanks for all your supports.. they were really helpful for me in recovering mentally

What Rashkae said might also be a possible motives, it's just that i didn't took their picture at all.. i didn't point my camera towards their direction, or any direction that might include them inside the picture even once

should have taken their pictures and then the cops have a better chance of locating them nearby..
of course one may be startled in such situation..
Yeah, it's a good idea but as you say.. someone might not be able to think fast when he/she got panicked..

i was abt to go chinatown tmr to take pics. :/
now a bit scared liao.
Yeah, don't worry about chinatown. Chinatown is a very crowded place.. even if it does, someone from hundreds of people around you will surely help you out

From your description and photos, I guess you got more than a hit on the back of your head... since the photo show an injury to your forehead as well. What exactly happened to your camera? Did it drop to the ground (muddy?) in the struggle?
More accurately they sneak from behind and hit me by surprise on my forehead. Nope my camera didn't fall at all, i hung it on my neck.. the blood just dropped over it.. the funny thing is i didn't take off my camera until quite some time or more likely i didn't even think about it until the medic said "Hey, you might want to put off your camera first" :bsmilie:

sad, hopefully this experience makes your wiser, n avoid such incidents ever again in future.
I was robbed in JB once during my youth day, after that, I was very carefully of all surrounding especially quiet and dark places. 2nd time, the robbers din managed to get me.

Singapore "gangster" if you call them, is not as rough, if you appear more rough than them. Also diaplay of luxury goods or monies in public, just b aware of your later route on.

takada...wish u recover fast..and tks for hi light it out...i used to go there walk around alone too...

Get well soon. Dun let this dampen your mood.

Got a feeling that they mistaken u as another gang member or they thought that u may have caught them in illegal action. Anyway, do keep us update on the status of the crime. May those pp be brought to justice.

Probably gang related initiation type thingy or they just don't like you etc, but robbery doesn't seem to be the motive here. 4 guys could have easily overpowered you and stole whatever they wanted to. Camera might have attracted attention though. Shouldn't be hard to find them if they left fingerprints, thats the good thing about singapore once you are old enough to have IC you have your fingerprint in the system.

My blood boil reading this... these young punks are only brave in a group. I cannot understand why someone can do this. Gangsterism have no prospect here in Singapore... elsewhere Gangsters run large Businesses, here gangsters are some petty hooligans.

Wishing you a speedy recovery takada.

../azul123

Fully agree.
These pricks will only dare to come out these type of stunts when in groups.
Just take a look at them when they are alone. :bsmilie:

Sorry to hear about your mishao. I went to Fort Canning to take photos quite often but with another friend of mine. Some part of it is rather remoted. Take care and get well soon.

seeing this, get a tatts.. wear loose clothing, open n close each conversation with a swear word.. "mother... this lens should darn good even at nite.. mother.....!!"

This should deter the youngster except the hardcore n desperate..

Once I detered a group of youngster who wanted to set upon my friend (5-7) except for
their hardcore leader n henchman who wacked my friend. Usually they follow the leader. Of course my friend who was bloodied, its his fault who can't handle the leader, I was busy shouting down the rest of the chaps..before pulling away the leader.

Yo Takada, take this as a learning lesson in life. Some things do happen for a reason. It just makes you wiser and stronger. Whatever the motive of the idiots were, it doesn't matter. (Who cares about idiots anyway?) What matters is you get well soon. Don't assume everything is fine just because certain things never happened before.

Next time, if you are planning to go on a photo trip (especially deserted areas) do bring a friend along. Take care buddy and take more pictures. Cheers!

I still don't understand the attack. Was it provoked or unprovoked? You did mention you met them twice before...

What was the motive? Apparently, they were not interested in your money or camera.

In any case, if you can remember them, try to bring them to justice... if cannot remember, then, let the matter rest.

Wish you speedy recovery.

I still don't understand the attack. Was it provoked or unprovoked? You did mention you met them twice before...

What was the motive? Apparently, they were not interested in your money or camera.

In any case, if you can remember them, try to bring them to justice... if cannot remember, then, let the matter rest.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Motive? somtimes these thugs don't need motive... read too many reports that if you happen to glance at them wrong or they don't like your hair style or the way you walk or your fashion style... heck anything can provoke them.

../azul123

Fully agree.
These pricks will only dare to come out these type of stunts when in groups.
Just take a look at them when they are alone. :bsmilie:

Agree. Usually alone,they are scruny,weal pathetic loser who can't speak with their head held high

seeing this, get a tatts.. wear loose clothing, open n close each conversation with a swear word.. "mother... this lens should darn good even at nite.. mother.....!!"

Bad idea..why make ourselves stood so low to look like these losers.......all these pathetic dogs.......

Motive? somtimes these thugs don't need motive... read too many reports that if you happen to glance at them wrong or they don't like your hair style or the way you walk or your fashion style... heck anything can provoke them.
../azul123

Yup...damn. Youth these days are damn jialat...a lot of GFN and FOS around........who's teaching these dogs how to behave....Maybe we shld found a forum...use our telephoto lens shoot all the ppl or gangs hang out in that area and post online to help fellow Cser to identify his attackers....They are usually not too smart ppl and bound to go back to the same place........waiting for ppl to catch them...changi is where they belong and feel home.We shld do them this favour....

if its a plan attack, no matter how prepared you are, you wont be able to defend. Even a man as fit as bruce lee can be drugged with just a drink. just remember to go shoot with one or two buddies. at least he/she has a camera ready to shoot the attackers.

As for weapon, sam is right. it can be used against you when you are outnumbered. Learn to use your environment stuff as defense tools. Eg, a chair, a stick, etc. Carrying a knife along without knowing how to use it skillfully will only make matters worst.

learn to let go of this incident as finding them would be near impossible. even if you finally locate them, what can you do? You will be required to sue them in court. but do you have their full names and ic numbers/work permit details?

Pls take care and just enjoy the new year for the time being.

mate, I hope the perpetrators of your crime gets their comeuppance.

it's more important that you are okay, and alive to tell the tale.

Being someone formerly from the Police NSF. I would caution that notion carrying something along as a defensive weapon. Although yes you bring your tripod along as part of your shoot that is fine but don't bring something else that might in the end be mistaken as you carrying a defensive item to cause others hurt. As I said...it is a sad situation but let's not get over paranoid and start over imagining things.

Another things to note about using or bring something along to protect yourself as I would advice folk when I was doing police duties... IF YOU ARE NOT GOOD at using the item as a defensive weapon to protect yourself, you might end up providing the offensive individual(s) an item to use on you if they managed to snatch it from you. Remember if someone dares to attack you, they are most likely better fighter then you if not they will not pick on you.

I have seen people who got into that situation and got beaten with their own defensive item and also if it was just a bare handed fight...it can quickly become one where an item is used as a weapon. If you are not someone with the skill to defend yourself ( and those with you) well....then run and avoid a fight.

I hate to make light of what happen to the TS but this is a very rare but unfortunate situation. Don't let the knee jerk reaction cause anyone to go on a witch hunt and take matters into their own hands. Most of you here are rationale enough to balance things, we don't want someone here to misread this and overact and attack someone and found out they got the wrong person or over-reacted. Be careful in life( not just while you shoot) but let's send out the right message here.
I cannot agree with sammy888 as situation he mentioned is different. This time our thread starter is attacked from behind/unknowningly. He is provoked by a gang or a group in which sense he could have time to negotiate. It always help to be prepared. Best is to learn some form of self defence and be very fast in running. In this case, TS should be very aware of the surrounding and peoples that is around to have the fastest reaction. It is true that a SLR attracts unnecessary attentions outside of our community and should be kept out of sight when not using if possible.

Of course, all this is my personal view!

I just hope that the 4 do not feel braver in that they got away this time and plan to commit something more serious, resulting in a more serious injury.

You should not let this incident stop you in carrying on with photography alone in remote areas - I always do as it is near impossible to co-ordinate with a buddy/buddies for a shoot together.

Although it is easy for me to say, just forget and do not let the incident fester in you, as I was not the victim, Takada you should just move on.

Btw its a 18-70 kit lens you're using ,not the 16-80 which is a carl zeiss, anyways let us know when the perps are in jail.

I hope the police catch these punks soon and put them behind bards with a few strokes of rotan. Then again, not much confidence with the SPF after the Mas Selamat escape.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.