An Evening with Joe McNally - My Journey, 30 years on by Joe McNally

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks Nikon..... the GV location was GREAT !!! :thumbsup:

Exactly! Very conducive...

But as others had pointed out, the flashes were a bit annoying. I was sitting at the back row, and saw some people were actually trying to bounce flash from the back? I could really feel/hear the pain of the capacitor charging up after a possible full 1/1 flash blast. And they kept on trying to get a properly exposed shot :bigeyes:

Nevertheless, a great talk... I brought back a "quote" from him, and would like to share here.

When he was asked on the ways to gauge the works/efforts are on the right path, he answered that (or sth similar) one has to be in the industry to improve.

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

another classic moment was when the guy who asked the first question said "this is Singapore we dont know what we are going to be" ( please correct me if i misheard him)

Exactly! Very conducive...

But as others had pointed out, the flashes were a bit annoying. I was sitting at the back row, and saw some people were actually trying to bounce flash from the back? I could really feel/hear the pain of the capacitor charging up after a possible full 1/1 flash blast. And they kept on trying to get a properly exposed shot :bigeyes:

That's nothing. I've seen people trying to bounce flash OUTDOORS during one of the air shows. :p I guess these people just follow tips to "bounce flash to get nicer, more natural-looking light" too closely, even when it's impractical.

Regards
CK

Actually I was confused at that time. What's up with that actually, anyone kind to explain? (if private, can pm me? XD)

Look at no.7 here. He thinks AA is overrated as a photographer. I think the point is, the best photographers are not necessary the most well-known and vice versa. If one is to be successful professionally, then there needs to be a balance with their marketing skills. Nothing actually new here but it's a reminder on the reality of the business verses that of the passion/skill in photography. One cannot do without the other.
:)

That's nothing. I've seen people trying to bounce flash OUTDOORS during one of the air shows. :p I guess these people just follow tips to "bounce flash to get nicer, more natural-looking light" too closely, even when it's impractical.

Regards
CK

no lar. its a legendary bounce flash technique, called the infinity bounce flash. light gets bounced to infinity and stays there:bsmilie:

"non-intrusive" available light photography: 1 camera + 1 lens only allowed...

5343153894_6e7948e709_z.jpg

5343194396_b920879a33_z.jpg

did not manage to register 4 the talk (ppl here so fast)....:cry: looking forward to dm coverage of the event.

Look at no.7 here. He thinks AA is overrated as a photographer. I think the point is, the best photographers are not necessary the most well-known and vice versa. If one is to be successful professionally, then there needs to be a balance with their marketing skills. Nothing actually new here but it's a reminder on the reality of the business verses that of the passion/skill in photography. One cannot do without the other.
:)

Ah, thanks for the info :) Now at least I understand his point of view....

What gift did Joe Mc get from Nikon S'pore?

Bounce for the seek of bouncing bah. Seen it countless time.

Regards
CK

Hello.. was caught up at work so couldn't make it.

It's very similar to the google talk given on youtube yeah, but the Q&A is different!

Thanks to Clubsnap and Nikon. Really enjoyed the talk.

What gift did Joe Mc get from Nikon S'pore?

My guess is...more SB-900 heh..

I also remembered this quote from him, i cant remember the exact words but it goes something like this :

Camera companies, like Nikon (he puts his hands together and bows) are giving us the digital dream..."hey here's a camera with more megapixels than before. Does that help you take a better picture? No, what it gives is more highly detailed garbage. The difficulty in getting a good photograph is just as hard today as it was back then. "

Can anyone list down the names of the photographers he mentioned ? I have a poor memory and wish to know more about the people that he held in high regard as photographers.

Btw, thks to the organizers for this talk. Really enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.