Advice Needed on Hot-Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
yqt I am using the same old flash as you, I don't even have an omnibounce.
I just set the flash first and shot, shot, shot. Bounce off anything that I can find, last night take picture of my daughter, hand held with slow shurtter speed ( I think that it was like 1sec) for movement with rear curtain sync bounced from the top, came out all right. I always set the flash for wide coverage. Stray light can bounce off wall to soften shadows.

yqt said:
Did you see the hotspots on all the shots and were you using direct flash without omni bounce? It can happen sometimes :think: .
Another thing to note, some flash with auto zoom are not totally compatable with the camera ie: my flash and my cam. You may be shooting at wide angle but your flash is at telezoom ie: camera at 28mm zoom and flash at 85mm zoom. Don't laugh, it have happened before :sweat: . Check it out.

yeap yeap... saw the problem on the old 5400HS (discontinued) flash on Dynax7D before, no matter what u do, every pic is over expose... even down EV also same...

but i think dreamtheater used T16's set, den T16 used D100 with a SB800, so dun think that is the main problem... more of the technique now.

Ortega, I was refering to direct flash without bounce. If we use bounce light, most of the time we'll not get hotspots, unless we're shooting at a mirror :bsmilie: :bsmilie: . I use a omni bounce and tilt it at about 60 deg up as I'm getting old and lazy. I also don't have the skills to DIY my own bounce card lah ( me hoping ortega will sponsor me a bounce card :) ).
By the way, have you tried the defuser on your light? you know, the one that come with the DIY bounce card you're making?

dreamtheatre said:
I have asked around and the constant thing I hear is to meter on the spot, ie no compensation.

This is a little ' unatural' to me becasue I always meter with +1.5 stops or more most of the time. Anyway, what I'm trying to ask is:

DT
I use exp comp at either +0.3 or +0.7 max and check if there is any hotspots on the monitor. I still prefer a little overexp becos there is much less noise that way.

Also, perhaps can try centre-weighted metering, should be better than matrix metering.

I think I was in TTL mode that night. The flash display screen showed this and not i-TTL. Also, I read that D100 is not i-ttl.

Even with good'ol TTL auto flash, I don;t think it will over expose due to the auto quenching of the flash. I was bouncing the flash all night because the celling was not very high. So , after thinking a lot - and with all your help :) , I think it's because I set exposure compensation to +0.7EV and flash compensation to +1.0EV. So, a total of nearly 2 stop over. I think this is quite scary for digital users right? Well, I've learnt my lesson and from now on, will behave myself and not go overboard on the exposure compensation when using dslr.

Thanks eveybody!

Have a good weekend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.