A55 availability status

Just shoot manual. U could have 3 stops or 10stops if u prefer.

Eh... where is the MO? can someone PM me? Thanks!

Edit: Okay, got the link. Thank you!

Last edited:
I know I know, you are talking about taking self portraits hand holding the camera with the swivel screen dropping down below. But only young girls do that ok?

I'm talking about serious self portrait on a tripod with a beautiful scenery as a background, could be daylight or nightscene. And not just one shot but several differently composed shots.

Screen size is not a real problem because you only want to roughly know your composition from about 2 - 2.5 m distance.

Nope, I'm not talking about the "young girls" shooting style.

FYI, I am referring to this section: "self portrait on a tripod with a beautiful scenery as a background, could be daylight or nightscene". Are you *seriously* going to shoot at f/1.4, where exact focus on the face is needed? NOPE! You will be shooting at f/5.6-f/11, where your depth of field is so deep, that focusing on a spot or railing close to where you will be standing is enough.

Again, you are crippling yourself with your poor grasp of the basics. People have been getting sharp, accurate "self portrait on a tripod with a beautiful scenery as a background, could be daylight or nightscene" for much longer than you have been alive.

Just shoot manual. U could have 3 stops or 10stops if u prefer.

Yes this can be done I did this before doing 2 stops as my DSLR an pnly do 1 stop increment (max). But doing this mentally is hard

e.g. if you originally under expose your shot to -.3 you will need to manually remember your new Exposure 0 is now -.3 so doing 1 stop increment 3 frames will look like this:

-1 = -1.3
0 = -.3
+1 = .7

not only you need to remember this you also need to remember how many shots you did etc... not so easy to do manually but can be done...

Interested in the MO too...can someone PM me where is the MO? Thanks!

FYI, I am referring to this section: "self portrait on a tripod with a beautiful scenery as a background, could be daylight or nightscene". Are you *seriously* going to shoot at f/1.4, where exact focus on the face is needed? NOPE! You will be shooting at f/5.6-f/11, where your depth of field is so deep, that focusing on a spot or railing close to where you will be standing is enough.

Again, you are crippling yourself with your poor grasp of the basics. People have been getting sharp, accurate "self portrait on a tripod with a beautiful scenery as a background, could be daylight or nightscene" for much longer than you have been alive.

Bro, I give up leow ! ...some pple just simply refuses to remove their blinkers and insists that the world is flat so I'll just let them be ! :dunno:

Latest update for A55:

Sonystyle: Arriving end this week
RRP
Body - $1249
1855 kit - $1349

MSColor: Arriving next week
Got body, 1855 kit and 18250 kit. Call them for pricing.

seems e diff btw A33 n A55 is $300...will b v curious to see e performance diff btw both models when A55 is out. Think this time there will be a more balance ratio of A33 and A55 owners compared to A500 and A550 :)

i'm interested in e MO too... can someone PM me e info... thanx

Latest update for A55:

Sonystyle: Arriving end this week
RRP
Body - $1249
1855 kit - $1349

MSColor: Arriving next week
Got body, 1855 kit and 18250 kit. Call them for pricing.

seems expensive...

A33 with kit lens selling at US$749 (S$1048), so a RRP of $1099 is reasonable
A55 with kit cost US$849 (S$1189), so a RRP of $1349 is way higher than its US pricing.

the difference between A33 and A55 is only US$100 (S$140), but if Sony Singapore is selling it at S$250 difference (both with and without kit also $250 difference)!

Now im reconsidering getting A33 instead of the price difference is so much...

seems expensive...

A55 with kit cost US$849 (S$1189), so a RRP of $1349 is way higher than its US pricing.

the difference between A33 and A55 is only US$100 (S$140), but if Sony Singapore is selling it at S$250 difference (both with and without kit also $250 difference)!

if u observe, anything tt comes into Singapore mostly ends up selling more exp or same price(if lucky) compared to other countries....nv cheaper. seems we r the "cai tou" country :sweat:

Haha, then shoot everything in f11 and see if everyting is in focus ALL the time. What on earth gave you this kind of skewed notion ?
I bet you are the type who thinks people who drive manual cars are always better drivers than auto gear drivers. Too full of yourself. You still have a lot to learn about the difference between depth of field and focus. You seem to think that depth of field can replace focus, perhaps you read too much photography books rather than practical shooting. One thing is for sure though, that I have been shooting self and group portraits way before YOU are born.

* so please don't say things like quote "...much longer than you have been alive." Sounds a bit over exaggerated , don't you think?

Anyway, let's end it here lah, otherwise too much bad blood for nothing. Apologies if there's any offence.

Last edited:

Too add more on this portrait thing...maybe can set your sony (smile detect option) adjust level of smile...then you will just smile and it will focus on your face. Try to use yes 5.6 up so even your eyes will be sharp too....hope this will help also.

its on the sony page already, akan datang

https://www.sony.com.sg/product/slt-a55v

seems expensive...

If u need 18250, then the price diff between a33 and a55 (with 18250 kit) is lower and makes the a55 better deal with higher resolution, higher buffer and fps, gps and seems better iso performance.

I think price diff you are actually paying for the GPS and extra memory buffer for continuous shots in terms of hardware.

seems e diff btw A33 n A55 is $300...will b v curious to see e performance diff btw both models when A55 is out. Think this time there will be a more balance ratio of A33 and A55 owners compared to A500 and A550 :)

Last edited:
I think price diff you are actually paying for the GPS and extra memory buffer for continuous shots in terms of hardware.

...not to mentioned a newer and slightly better sensor, ...there is also something else I couldn't quite put my finger on ! :think: ...quite distinct after playing with both the A33 and A55 at the recent Alpha 3 event.

Haha, then shoot everything in f11 and see if everyting is in focus ALL the time. What on earth gave you this kind of skewed notion ?
I bet you are the type who thinks people who drive manual cars are always better drivers than auto gear drivers. Too full of yourself. You still have a lot to learn about the difference between depth of field and focus. You seem to think that depth of field can replace focus, perhaps you read too much photography books rather than practical shooting. One thing is for sure though, that I have been shooting self and group portraits way before YOU are born.

* so please don't say things like quote "...much longer than you have been alive." Sounds a bit over exaggerated , don't you think?

Anyway, let's end it here lah, otherwise too much bad blood for nothing. Apologies if there's any offence.

Maybe he was referring to hyperfocusing??? sound like it and feels like it :think:

...not to mentioned a newer and slightly better sensor, ...there is also something else I couldn't quite put my finger on ! :think: ...quite distinct after playing with both the A33 and A55 at the recent Alpha 3 event.

I hope they'll release two variant (gps and non gfps) version. this will slash the price down a bit more maybe extra 100SGD??

That's where you're wrong bro. You have mentioned "about the same distance" and that is not the standard which I am used to. I know you'll point out these simple workarounds but it's not accurate and not the right way to do it.

1) Self timer for self portrait is never a good option simply because you cannot have your face to pre-focus on. So you can only "roughly" pre-focus on the spot you think you might be standing. And since the camera is on the tripod, it's also difficult to manoeuvre. It's even more troublesome if you want to take several differently composed self portraits, not just one. In the end, its not accurate because for self portrait, its your face which you want to focus on, not the ground.

2) The correct and accurate way is to use an IR remote control and a 360 swivel screen to "roughly" tell you your composition. It doesn't even have to be a big screen as someone else had misunderstood. But since Sony made the hinge below, their 360 swivel cannot be used with a tripod or even on any flat surface.

So, please don't tell me to pre-focus on the ground for self portraits. I don't do aga-aga when taking photos.

Dude, you are funny. If what you state to be the correct and accurate way to do self portrait. How does the people in the film era do self portrait? They don't have 360 swivel screen do they?

Last edited:
Dude, you are funny. If what you state to be the correct and accurate way to do self portrait. How does the people in the film era do self portrait? They don't have 360 swivel screen do they?

Plus they probably don't have ir remote depending on which era .

Anyway let's not cloud this thread on self portraits techniques but go back to welcoming the arrival of a55 yah :)

That's nothing !!! ...I'm really wondering what is the "correct and accurate way" to take those panning shots like F1 with the cars whizzing pass at 200+ kmph !!! :think: