A55 availability status

AGREE ! The video is real POISON .... LOL

I think the a55 + 18250 kit is a real bargain.... Correct ?

Now I am torn between the a55 and the D7000. sigh .....

;p;p;p

if budget is not an issue I think it's wise to go with D7000 its more mid range DSLR and it's replacing D90, A55 on the other hand is a very good entry level DSLR with feature rich cam

if you're going serious with you photography you may want to go with D7000 if you want a fun camera and feature rich go with A55 :)

To me I am looking for AE Brakecting A55 offers 3F and .3 and .7 stop increments only while D7000 offers 1 to 2 stops increment if you're into manual HDR and combining multiple exposure via computer you'll have wider range.

Both also can do HD video the only thing is D7000 will be for sure more expenssive than A55

I am also choosing between the two hehehe I am currently using Olympus E-620 and planning to change system so eyeing these two camera also:lovegrin:

I am sure the A7xx will be similar if not definitely better than D7000 when it comes out by end this year or early next year.

So A33/55 will go very well together with A7xx to cover all your indulgence.

Last checked for a55 is $1159 for body.

Unless you need 10fps, gps, 16mp and slightly better high iso, then a55 is worth considering. If not stay with a33 for lower price.

I would suggest you go for a580 or a7xx to go along with your a33. ;)

Same, i got a33. Prefer this than the a550 screen.

And.. Any idea how much ms color selling a55 body??
Very curious :)

Wonder if shoukd upgrade for a55 from a33 (sold all freebies, so body quite cheap for a33)

I am sure the A7xx will be similar if not definitely better than D7000 when it comes out by end this year or early next year.

So A33/55 will go very well together with A7xx to cover all your indulgence.

Yeah Sony releasing A700 to go toe to toe with D7000 :) A33/A55 is a bit in different level of DSLR/DSLT and the price also hehe

Last edited:
But the 18250kit is really good price. You are buying a new lens at ard $450 only!!!

I need A55 mostly for video (for my kid actually) so a cheap SAM (quiet) lens is preferred..
:)

But the 18250kit is really good price. You are buying a new lens at ard $450 only!!!

I need A55 mostly for video (for my kid actually) so a cheap SAM (quiet) lens is preferred..
:)

I think Vid performance for both A33/A55 should be the same....

If the non-GPS version will be available here in SG that might be a bit cheaper (maybe 100bucks cheaper?) coz I heard in Japan they'll have the non-GPS version.

I think Vid performance for both A33/A55 should be the same....

If the non-GPS version will be available here in SG that might be a bit cheaper (maybe 100bucks cheaper?) coz I heard in Japan they'll have the non-GPS version.

Do u think I should get the body only of A55 (I do take some shots too) and pair it with an external mic, would these will be more economical for me?

How's much is exactly the sony mic? Does anyone here use 3rd party mic or was it ever available.. :)

Do u think I should get the body only of A55 (I do take some shots too) and pair it with an external mic, would these will be more economical for me?

How's much is exactly the sony mic? Does anyone here use 3rd party mic or was it ever available.. :)

I am not sure how much is the Sony mic cost but I think you can try checking with MS color if they have 3rd party mic.

For the A55 body if you already have some Alpha lenses you can skip the kit lens. Or of you planning to buy a lens seperately. I think will cost more but you'll have better quality lens than the kit... I am not saying the kit is not good but buying your own lens you can decide what type of lens suits you.

I suggest you go and check out the lens you planning to pair with your A55 1st before you decide :)

PS. I am not (yet) a Sony Alpha user... I am keen in A55 due to its features seems to be a fun camera... i am currently using Oly E-620 hehe

Last edited:
I am not sure how much is the Sony mic cost but I think you can try checking with MS color if they have 3rd party mic.

For the A55 body if you already have some Alpha lenses you can skip the kit lens. Or of you planning to buy a lens seperately. I think will cost more but you'll have better quality lens than the kit... I am not saying the kit is not good but buying your own lens you can decide what type of lens suits you.

I suggest you go and check out the lens you planning to pair with your A55 1st before you decide :)

PS. I am not (yet) a Sony Alpha user... I am keen in A55 due to its features seems to be a fun camera... i am currently using Oly E-620 hehe

Thanks albertri for your reply. I currently do not own any of sony brand DSLR or lens but I do have A-mount lens from Minolta...I'm not sure whether A55 is a good investment though A33 looks like a good alternative. But from I have seen A55 vs A33 they has both different ISO noise output and they made me swing more to A55 as I also do some photography occasionally though not as often as I used to be.

I'll decide later and maybe I will see more A55 images/videos to decide later on. Thanks for your advise. It's certainly helps. ;)

Thanks albertri for your reply. I currently do not own any of sony brand DSLR or lens but I do have A-mount lens from Minolta...I'm not sure whether A55 is a good investment though A33 looks like a good alternative. But from I have seen A55 vs A33 they has both different ISO noise output and they made me swing more to A55 as I also do some photography occasionally though not as often as I used to be.

I'll decide later and maybe I will see more A55 images/videos to decide later on. Thanks for your advise. It's certainly helps. ;)

yeah same here I am leaning toward A55 coz it have high megapixel and newer sensor so it should have a better IQ than A33 I have not dig into the Sensor and algorithm difference between the two... coz good IQ is a combination of good sensor + good processor + good algorithm and good glass... but like they always say in IT "garbage in is garbage out" this means if your sensor is lousy even you have the best program and the most expenssive glass it'll still produces bad image....

DPreview has a indepth reivew if A55 if I am not wrong you can go and check it out they have comparossion with different brands also...

Last edited:
DPreview has a indepth reivew if A55 if I am not wrong you can go and check it out they have comparossion with different brands also...

Bluff pple one lah !!!:bsmilie: ...DPreview all along rates Sony's products as sub-par and then all of a sudden give the A55 a 76% Gold award ?!?!?! ...must be Sony took up major advertising with them.:sweatsm:

Dun get me wrong ! 90% of serious photograhers read DPreview (me too:sweat:) ...I'm just happy Sony is now in their good books. :thumbsup::lovegrin:

Bluff pple one lah !!!:bsmilie: ...DPreview all along rates Sony's products as sub-par and then all of a sudden give the A55 a 76% Gold award ?!?!?! ...must be Sony took up major advertising with them.:sweatsm:

Dun get me wrong ! 90% of serious photograhers read DPreview (me too:sweat:) ...I'm just happy Sony is now in their good books. :thumbsup::lovegrin:

Dpreview still don like Sony leh. They are still comparing the A55's 10fps against Canikon Pro DSLRs... which is really nonsense IMO.

They should compare the A55 against other $1k camera wat!

Dpreview still don like Sony leh. They are still comparing the A55's 10fps against Canikon Pro DSLRs... which is really nonsense IMO.

They should compare the A55 against other $1k camera wat!

If they do that, the 'other' $1K camera brands will pull out their advertisment funds !!!:bsmilie:
Anyway, nothings changed. The A550 was compared to D90 instead of the same priced D5000.

Sadly, not many have heard or know of the new SLT capabilities ...refer: to this thread !

i think we don't need to feel sad, i will always take it as dpreview take cheaper camera to compare with , that means Sony's model is value for money

if budget is not an issue I think it's wise to go with D7000 its more mid range DSLR and it's replacing D90, A55 on the other hand is a very good entry level DSLR with feature rich cam.

For newbies choosing between the A55 and the competing brands for the same price bracket, it's a no brainer.

The weird thing I find many websites compares the A33/A55 feature-wise against competing brands mid to high range DSLR.

Of course the A33/A55 will lose out on performance to them :bsmilie: although by not much sometimes :thumbsup:.

And to add one more point for newbies, SONY is still learning the trade ( jumpstart by Minolta) and more new innovation to come. Kinda feel sorry for the other brands :lovegrin:.

A33/55 IS SONY newest entry-level cam. Imagine what the mid-range to high-end cams will be like in 1-2 years time IF you join the Alpha system.

Last edited:
Stock has reached almost most shops today.

I find the 18250kit the most attractive.

A33/55 IS SONY newest entry-level cam. Imagine what the mid-range to high-end cams will be like in 1-2 years time IF you join the Alpha system.

:bsmilie: I was shooting AF with my Minolta9000 while the others were struggling with MF and claiming that AF were just a novelty back in the eighties.
...I don't have to imagine :bsmilie: ...I believe Sony has the same Minolta team !!! :thumbsup:

Sony price on A55 is 1349$ with 1855 and 55200 two lense..:)

edit: on sonystyle..

Last edited:
why SONY priced A55 package so "obvious"?
w/o lens -> $1249
dual lens -> $1349

their lenses are lelong goods?

Last edited: