1st trip to Taiwan

Hi again, any hotel to recommend which is easy for an amateur traveller to move about?

First time travelling out of Singapore alone so will be asking really dumb questions ... :embrass:

i cant remember. but 3 hotels left a lasting impression in a good way.

1: evergreen hotel. kaoshiung i think. not a bad place, good for roaming, easily accessible.

2: riverview hotel. located right beside xi men ding @taipei. can go shopping, got river view too. good for photographers if they want to shoot.

3: new continental hotel. very classy, decently priced. i love the ambient. located near mrt too i think

I covered basically the entire Taiwan except for Hualien and Kenting.
Was actually supposed to go to Hualien but the roads there have collapsed, but it was repaired the day before i was heading to Hualien.
Our driver didn't dare to drive as it was just repaired, so we didn't go to Hualien.

Yeah man, too scary after Meji. I went to Taiwan from 19-25. Was in Hualien on 23rd. 22nd about 22km NE of Hualien dunno which part got 6.2 quake at 8.30pm. I was at E-da theme park in Kaoshiung then, felt the shake, definitely much more than anyone would have felt here in SG from the Indonesian quakes. Luckily the next day went to Hualien via domestic flight, and one day out of Hualien via train.

Yeah man, too scary after Meji. I went to Taiwan from 19-25. Was in Hualien on 23rd. 22nd about 22km NE of Hualien dunno which part got 6.2 quake at 8.30pm. I was at E-da theme park in Kaoshiung then, felt the shake, definitely much more than anyone would have felt here in SG from the Indonesian quakes. Luckily the next day went to Hualien via domestic flight, and one day out of Hualien via train.

I was in Taipei when that happened.
I was watching Nat Geo, then i saw my cup of water shaking slightly, i immediately tuned to the local news and saw a newflash on the earthquake.
I went out to the corridor and some of my neighbours came out too.

I was in Taipei when that happened.
I was watching Nat Geo, then i saw my cup of water shaking slightly, i immediately tuned to the local news and saw a newflash on the earthquake.
I went out to the corridor and some of my neighbours came out too.

Your cup of water was shaking. My whole darn bathtub full of water slooshing about man.... :bsmilie: :eek: I think my place in KS closer to there than Taipei.

Last edited:
Some of my other relatives didn't even know that there was an earthquake untill i told them, :bigeyes:

Some of my other relatives didn't even know that there was an earthquake untill i told them, :bigeyes:

If they are walking or doing something that's moving like bathing or in a bus/car, usually cannot feel for such a small quake lah.

Thanks! Tried Riverview but it seemed like it's fully booked ... :( any more value-for-money, convenient and trustworthy hotels in Taipei? :embrass:

i cant remember. but 3 hotels left a lasting impression in a good way.

1: evergreen hotel. kaoshiung i think. not a bad place, good for roaming, easily accessible.

2: riverview hotel. located right beside xi men ding @taipei. can go shopping, got river view too. good for photographers if they want to shoot.

3: new continental hotel. very classy, decently priced. i love the ambient. located near mrt too i think

Hi people, feeling very cooped up in sunny Singapore so thinking of going to Taiwan hopefully in December ... any advice for a first timer? To make matters even more interesting, I've never been out of the country alone ...

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

try this link and this one.

Thanks! Tried Riverview but it seemed like it's fully booked ... :( any more value-for-money, convenient and trustworthy hotels in Taipei? :embrass:

and for hotel stay, try this link.
specifically Taipei, try this one.

Last edited:

hmm... in kaoshiung ar... wait i try recall.:think:

try this link and this one.

and for hotel stay, try this link.

specifically Taipei, try this one.
the usual places online are the tourist attractions. museums and stuff. most tours emphasis on selling stuff in taiwan, such as deer baby bones, lingzhi, pearls. personally i'll avoid these as i feel is a waste of time. not buying would also look bad as the tourguides count on them for commission.

perhaps if TS wants, i can pass him the guide book i have on TW. then he can slowly select. got a wide variety. i've been travelling to tw free and easy for i think 2-3 years in a row liao:)

Thanks to all ... just book the air ticket and feeling extremely excited, as well as nervous :embrass:

Now checking out the hotels ... at the moment looking at the Brother Hotel, which also provides limo service @ NT$ 1500 ...

For this round, I tend to base myself in Taipei ...

try the new continental its really good:thumbsup:

riverview fully booked i'm not surprised. very good location:)

Did a quick check, first two days the rooms are fully occupied ...

new continental ar.:bsmilie: haha not bad.

第一大饭店?

Taipei Grand Hotel, a pictureque and beautiful hotel.
"Lee Kuan Yew - Stayed at least 14 times and once was so impressed with the level of service that he requested that the hotel butler accompany him throughout his visit to Taiwan"

Hi again, any hotel to recommend which is easy for an amateur traveller to move about?

First time travelling out of Singapore alone so will be asking really dumb questions ... :embrass:

Hi,

I'm going to Taipei next Feb and i have booked Wonstar hotel Ximending cos my friend said the rooms she stayed in every time are clean and of course XMD is a good location. You might want to try too? :)

Hi,

I'm going to Taipei next Feb and i have booked Wonstar hotel Ximending cos my friend said the rooms she stayed in every time are clean and of course XMD is a good location. You might want to try too? :)

lots of gd comments for wonstar and yes it's gd location

Thanks and tried; no available room ... :(

From the looks of it, may have to settle for Brother Hotel but it's pretty pricey ... about S$180 per night as I need bigger bed due to my height ...

Hi,

Last edited: