Canon 500d or 550d

i bought my 550d and i'm loving it ;)

my personal guess is if u took the photo indoor then there is enough light so u doesnt need them. If it is outdoor then i dunno...

Hi i bought my 550D already! however whenever i'm releasing the shutter, the lcd screen there's always this flash busy. why is that so?

I own a 550D with the kit 18-135 but kinda regret and I should have gotten the body alone and get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 .. haiz..

Don't regret. Just sell the 18-135 and get the tamron loh.

If i were you, I would invest in the best lenses I can and go out there and shoot.

Unless you plan to print exhibition size prints ( I know, I have had an exhibition! and even then) you will not see a discernable difference between 500D and 550D at "usable" ISO's (upto 3200).

You will notice a difference between a 100 dollar kit lens and a 1000 dollar L lens from Canon.

Canon, (in my opinion) makes cameras for people who are not photographers, more camera geeks- cramming 18 megapixels in a camera which outresolves even canon's best lenses. (whip out your Leica R to EOS adapters!)

So, save yourself money by getting a 500D (even better, get a 40D- it feels great in your hand, and wont break if you squeeze it a little too hard!)- but most importantly buy some great L quality canon glass, or zeiss , or leica R glass, or nikkor prime lenses

A good picture will look good doesnt matter what the camera. (And most of these people "advising" have probably not shot a decent picture in their life, they just have huge dry cabinets full of pristinely kept cameras and lenses!!) ..let me rephrase that- I am SURE they havent shot a decent picture in their life.

Ehh.. and you are here advising as well... so what does that make you? :bsmilie:

Hi,

I just bought my 550D and it feels very much like the 500D... If you are not into video then perhaps you can consider the D90 but note that it has 12MPs only and lenses moer advanced than the standard 18-55 might not be taken advantage of.

Well, I'm looking for a macro lens as well... The 100 f/2.8 looks real good but it is expensive. The Tamron is going for 500 dollars at SLRrevolution in Funan, but I'm not sure about the 100mm. Tamron is ok in good light but in low light, autofocus is a little slow... nothing beats USM.

Cheers,
RSm540.

Hi,

I just bought my 550D and it feels very much like the 500D... If you are not into video then perhaps you can consider the D90 but note that it has 12MPs only and lenses moer advanced than the standard 18-55 might not be taken advantage of.

Well, I'm looking for a macro lens as well... The 100 f/2.8 looks real good but it is expensive. The Tamron is going for 500 dollars at SLRrevolution in Funan, but I'm not sure about the 100mm. Tamron is ok in good light but in low light, autofocus is a little slow... nothing beats USM.

Cheers,
RSm540.

I find it hard to understand what you are trying to say here.

Unless you tell me you print building sized banners, number of MP is overrated for most people, especially hobbyists.

Actually, I have seen a video where they printed a building sized banner from a D700 (hello 12 MP) shot and it came out really nice.

Well IHMO more MPs mean you can crop more. Unless you are really good at composition, then you don't really need so much cropping :)

"..lenses moer advanced than the standard 18-55 might not be taken advantage of..."
I meant that kit lens might be rather soft when not stopped down. And this means in low light, you can't have lower ISO values :p But still I sometimes change my 550D's MP to 8MP because there is not much difference due to noise and softness in low light.

So 18MP vs 12MP is actually the same if your lenses used are not sharp.
(Well, 18MP will take up more space on your computer :D)

Well IHMO more MPs mean you can crop more. Unless you are really good at composition, then you don't really need so much cropping :)

even for 12 MP I find I can crop very small very comfortably (think crop a landscape orientation out of a portrait one). How small do you intend to crop, to need so many MP? I mean, it is not possible for you to suck that bad in composition right?

"..lenses moer advanced than the standard 18-55 might not be taken advantage of..."
I meant that kit lens might be rather soft when not stopped down. And this means in low light, you can't have lower ISO values :p But still I sometimes change my 550D's MP to 8MP because there is not much difference due to noise and softness in low light. The only time I know of such an ability is in a camera like the D700, where the resolution goes down to 5MP when you switch to DX mode. Even that, the pixel density is the same, as the MP count is reduced only because the size of the sensor used is smaller.

A lens being soft when shot with large apertures has totally nothing to do with number of MP a camera has. It is just due to the the poor image quality of the specific lens at max apertures. So in your statement, if I really understand what you are trying to say as "a D90 cannot take advantage of lenses more advanced than 18-55 because it has only 12MP", I have to tell you that you must be smoking something really strong, and you need to go do more research and only talk when you really understand what you are talking about. I might have misunderstood what you were trying to say, seeing how most of what you say is not making any sense at all.

Also I don't know you can turn down the MP count of the sensor in the 550D. I know you can shoot at a small size (resolution) but, AFAIK, that do not have any effect on noise and image quality because the image is still captured in 18MP by the sensor, and downsampled to your smaller select size(resolution) when the image is processed in-camera.

And AFAIK, I do not think the sharpness of a lens equals the lens resolving ability.

Last edited:
I meant that kit lens might be rather soft when not stopped down. And this means in low light, you can't have lower ISO values :p But still I sometimes change my 550D's MP to 8MP because there is not much difference due to noise and softness in low light.

is the kit lens really soft wide open?

What I meant was that the 550D's kit lens is not as sharp as the higher grade lenses. Therefore its 18MPs does not provide a lot of advantage. Sorry for the confusion. I find that putting the 8MP option on the 550D is better than using the 18MP option because the pictures take up less space and not many peopl need so many MPs.
+1 for your statements anyway XD
Oh and if I am not making sense then don't take notice of my comments. I'm a new member. And just trying to help.
---
Btw, what lenses do you recommend then? Especially for starters. If one does a lot of low light indoors/event photography?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I THINK that there are better lenses. But the kit lens it fine. Are you talking about Nikon or Canon? :p Try reading reviews online.

goodness.... its already 2 weeks since thread started..... hope you've decided by now :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

goodness.... its already 2 weeks since thread started..... hope you've decided by now :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hey people!

I'm a newbie, just to ask that why my 550D can't auto focus when there's low light and when i wanna release the shutter, it doesn't allow me to do so. Is there something wrong with the camera or its just like this?

hey people!

I'm a newbie, just to ask that why my 550D can't auto focus when there's low light and when i wanna release the shutter, it doesn't allow me to do so. Is there something wrong with the camera or its just like this?
It's like this one. When the camera can't focus, you will not be able to release the shutter.

hey people!

There is definately not enough light going thru the lens then.
Either try with a wider aperature setting or longer exposure
Maybe tune up the ISO a bit (not sure if it helps).
Else then use flash.

hey people!

What you focus on needs to have enough contrast for the AF to work. Try using the centre focus. If all else fails, switch to manual focus.

Just thought that this might help those people who are serious about photography and deciding on getting these consumer level camera. If you're really into photography as in not just using it as a Point and Shoot, then I suggest getting Kit 2 for the 18 - 135mm f3.5 - 5.6 Lens, the 18 - 55 Kit 1 Lens is really not reliable. Hope it helps since no one brought this up in this thread. ;)

Last edited: