Canon 500d or 550d

pay cash, pain one time only..

Cathay Photo at marina square selling 550D with kit I for $1200, free 8gb memory card and a bag.

MS color Main selling $1290, free filter, screen protecter, bag, and 8gb card.

Which one is worth?

i think you can buy a filter and a screen protector for less than $90.

Cathay Photo at marina square selling 550D with kit I for $1200, free 8gb memory card and a bag.

MS color Main selling $1290, free filter, screen protecter, bag, and 8gb card.

Which one is worth?
should also ask..

if dont want the free 8gb memory card and bag, can give better price?

i think you can buy a filter and a screen protector for less than $90.

Oh, thanks! May i ask what do i have to take note when i upon buying the dslr? Like check warranty, lens and the sensor.

And how do i clean the lens as well as the sensor?

Thanks!

Oh, thanks! May i ask what do i have to take note when i upon buying the dslr? Like check warranty, lens and the sensor.

And how do i clean the lens as well as the sensor?

Thanks!

if you buy from CP/MS colour, they are relatively reputable stores.

still, caveat emptor, just to avoid unhappy experience, this is what i would do:

1) examine body briefly for outward appearance - does it seem to have been used before? are there user marks - this depends on personal tolerance. ditto for lens. check lens briefly for abnormal amounts of dust - it should be relatively clean internally. same for camera body.

2) check battery connectors/ports for corrosion, this could happen due to improper storage.

3) take a few test pictures with your lens:
- borrow a box with text on it, place your camera on the counter (to make sure there is no shake due to handholding), and using AF, take a few quick pictures focusing on the box placed in centre of frame at different distances, auto mode also can

4) no way to check sensor easily and quickly, but it will be covered under warranty, and cases of sensor getting problem is rare, especially if you can take pictures straight out

these should take care of most common problems. you can't really check infinitely if there is problem, so this depends on trust between you and the shop.

make sure : you GET and KEEP the original receipt, and that the warranty is stamped, and the card is present in the box before you leave.

that's about it.

to clean the lens and sensor, please google. most people do not mind DIY clean lens, this can be done with:

1) lens blower (first)
2) microfibre cloth or chamois
3) failing which you will need lens cleaning fluid and #2

all of the above can be purchased when you buy your camera. rough prices, i can't remember.

A good picture will look good doesnt matter what the camera. (And most of these people "advising" have probably not shot a decent picture in their life, they just have huge dry cabinets full of pristinely kept cameras and lenses!!) ..let me rephrase that- I am SURE they havent shot a decent picture in their life.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

you should check everyone's website first before you shoot your mouth off like that so aggressively.

Last edited:
haha since i'm only a beginner, i should start with kit lens first yah? :) since CP offering better price, i will go CP and purchase my new and first dslr 550D!

Thanks alot for your advice!!! really!

haha since i'm only a beginner, i should start with kit lens first yah? :) since CP offering better price, i will go CP and purchase my new and first dslr 550D!!
Yep, stick to your kit lens and learn from there. Only with knowledge you can make a reasonable decision about the next lenses or any other equipment. As next I suggest: 2nd battery, cleaning kit, dry cabinet. All the rest can wait till you really have a need and got the time to read up.

I'd buy at some other reputed shop.

Try SLR Revolution, Funan Mall. 5th Floor. I bought my 550D Kit I there and pais $1276 (incl. GST) in April. Or you may check out prices at Alan Photo, Cathay Photo and MS Color and compare where you get the best deal.

By the way, is 550d light? For easy portability.

By the way, is 550d light? For easy portability.
Define "light". You can find the weight in all reviews. For comparison you can check with your mom in kitchen, many bags with defined weight there :)
If the little weight of the 550D is still troublesome you can either get an Optech strap (has some flexible parts that make the weight less felt) or .. get a PnS.

just to avoid unhappy experience, this is what i would do:

1) examine body briefly for outward appearance - does it seem to have been used before? are there user marks - this depends on personal tolerance. ditto for lens. check lens briefly for abnormal amounts of dust - it should be relatively clean internally. same for camera body.

2) check battery connectors/ports for corrosion, this could happen due to improper storage.

3) take a few test pictures with your lens:
- borrow a box with text on it, place your camera on the counter (to make sure there is no shake due to handholding), and using AF, take a few quick pictures focusing on the box placed in centre of frame at different distances, auto mode also can

4) no way to check sensor easily and quickly, but it will be covered under warranty, and cases of sensor getting problem is rare, especially if you can take pictures straight out

these should take care of most common problems. you can't really check infinitely if there is problem, so this depends on trust between you and the shop.

make sure : you GET and KEEP the original receipt, and that the warranty is stamped, and the card is present in the box before you leave.

that's about it.

If possible bring a touch light and look the lens thru both end look for dust spider web like white line (fungus) see pic but those dots at the lens end are just dust... can remove it with a blower.
Any dust inside or in between the two ends of the lens cannot be reached. Dont accept those

http://cid-cef98f26cb174563.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/New%20album/DSC^_3367.jpg

haha since i'm only a beginner, i should start with kit lens first yah? :) since CP offering better price, i will go CP and purchase my new and first dslr 550D!

Thanks alot for your advice!!! really!

I own a 550D with the kit 18-135 but kinda regret and I should have gotten the body alone and get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 .. haiz..

Any dust inside or in between the two ends of the lens cannot be reached. Dont accept those

Please share with us where you get 100% dust free lenses and - most important for may dust phobics here - how do maintain a lens to stay dust free? According your rules you should still be running around with 'body only' ...

Hi,

First and foremost, WELCOME TO THE CLUB! :)

Difference between 550D and 500D? Basically they are Canon's basic level entry cameras. The difference is in the numbers, performance, as well as different accessories between the two (like batteries, battery grip, etc).
Personally, I own a 500D, but if I was camera-less, and were to get a new camera, 550D would be the one I'd get.

The macro lens your friend got, is an attachment to her own kit lens? Even the Raynox don't start at $100 plus. It is in the next price bracket range. Does it include 'wide angle' function as well? If it is, I have nothing to say except to tell your friend not to complain about the images

Lastly, avoid buying from most shops in Sim Lim Square. There is a list of recommended camera shops.

List of camera shops in Singapore

AP - Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6336 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-F - Alan Photo, #05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6883 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
CP - Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M - Cathay Photo, #02-215/216 Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Tel: 6339 6188, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
John - John 3:16, #05-46 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: richardgan@pacific.net.sg
Lord's - Lord's Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6235 4605, e-mail: lordscom@singnet.com.sg
MS - MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg, web e-quote
MS - MS Colour Outlet - 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, AMK Hub #02-24, Tel: 6452 2828
TCW - The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street, #01-31, Tel: 6336 1956 / 6336 7808, e-mail: tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK - T K Foto Technic, 100 Beach Rd, #02-45 Shaw Towers, Tel: 6292 4533, e-mail: sales@tkfoto.com.sg
OP - Orient Photo, 1 Rochor Canal Road, #06-53/31, Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6339 1035, e-mail: sales@orientfoto.com.sg

You can email the above shops for an e-quote for the items you'd like to buy.

Lastly, unless you THINK you can get better pricing at those PC Shows, we strongly refrain from buying there. And should you have decided to buy from those PC Shows, and found you've been 'chopped like a carrot', please do not come crying here to compare prices. You've been warned to do your homework.

Do enjoy the hobby!

Cheers :)

thks for the guide :thumbsup:

Please share with us where you get 100% dust free lenses and - most important for may dust phobics here - how do maintain a lens to stay dust free? According your rules you should still be running around with 'body only' ...

What i mean is dust-free inside on the inner lens elements. (unless you know how to disassemble the lens to clean)
Whereas the two portion where the lens filter and where the portion u mount the lens. Those you can clean them.
Imagine if you can see 'elephants' within inner lens elements.
Chances are it might affecting part of the photo.

Of course maintenance have to be done every time.
Blowing off dust, removing moisture, oil from the skin on the lens body etc.

Hi i bought my 550D already! however whenever i'm releasing the shutter, the lcd screen there's always this flash busy. why is that so?