Canon 500d or 550d

Hi, oh really thanks alot for the advice. :thumbsup:

However is buying at MS color save? Its a dealer shop right? Based on the pricelist in the forum, MS color is selling 550D dead cheap as compared to previous IT fairs and roadshows.

Please give some advice, thanks. :(

it fairs and roadshows are not cheap in the first place, they usually go for recommend retail price (RRP) which is bad.

you can try SLR revolution, this is a pretty decent shop. just please note, wherever you go, please do your homework. every shop has had its fair share of praises and complaints, and not all shops can give best pricing for everything, so please don't go XXX shop, buy 550d for good price, then come back to cs and kbkb that their other things overcharge you by $5, $10...

MS Color is a well-known, trusted shop. Ask for Florence. :)

Yup, i emailed them! And florence replied. 550D cost $1290, freebies include free 8 g card,canon bag from agent and free lcd protector worth $13.50 and filter worth $15.

Thanks!

MS Color is a well-known, trusted shop. Ask for Florence. :)

I second that.

But note that their quoted price is usually CASH... i.e. not pay by credit card or nets.

If I remember correctly you need to add 5% for cc and 1 or 2% for nets. The shop near Jubilee cinema is usually cheaper than the one at AMK hub. Good luck!

it fairs and roadshows are not cheap in the first place, they usually go for recommend retail price (RRP) which is bad.

you can try SLR revolution, this is a pretty decent shop. just please note, wherever you go, please do your homework. every shop has had its fair share of praises and complaints, and not all shops can give best pricing for everything, so please don't go XXX shop, buy 550d for good price, then come back to cs and kbkb that their other things overcharge you by $5, $10...

Haha thanks bro! Overcharge like 10 over dollars is alright with me. If few hundreds that is really bad. :thumbsup:

HAha, i am also looking for a Canon Camera and has narrowed down to 500D or 550D too.. Personally, was going for 500D till i saw this post. Looks like i may change my target to 550D instead. :)

PC show is good cos sometimes they release good gifts like the Crumpler5MDH, but don't squeeze in the ants queue.. Go to shops like AP,CP etc.. Slowly take your time.. And bargain ..

For Macro lens, I think the 100mm Macro looks good to me.. But before you commit to get Macro lens, I personally suggest you to borrow from your friend or rent it to try out first, whether do you like the focal reach. It's better than you commit to a lens and start to regret cos of the focal reach.. Then u sell and lose money..

My humble opinion, 2cents worth.

Haha the crumpler bag cost how much?! Hahaha. Shops can bargain? Like free gifts and stuff? Oh, i don't really have a close friend who own a dslr! Perhaps i should look and play around with my "future" dslr first!

Last edited:
HAha, i am also looking for a Canon Camera and has narrowed down to 500D or 550D too.. Personally, was going for 500D till i saw this post. Looks like i may change my target to 550D instead. :)

Haha! yeah! Get 550D after experienced bros advice!! :D

Yup, i emailed them! And florence replied. 550D cost $1290, freebies include free 8 g card,canon bag from agent and free lcd protector worth $13.50 and filter worth $15.

Forget about this "worth $xx" and whatnot. Get what you need, reject what you don't know and / or don't need at the moment. Regardless which shop. A filter worth $15 is a filter you don't need. Get a rocket blower instead (about the same price) to clean off dust. LCD protector is also not really necessary. Save a bit and get a 2nd battery (3rd party about $35).

Last edited:
550D cost $1290, freebies include free 8 g card,canon bag from agent and free lcd protector worth $13.50 and filter worth $15.

Thanks!

Is that a kit set or body only?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Hi, oh really thanks alot for the advice. :thumbsup:

However is buying at MS color save? Its a dealer shop right? Based on the pricelist in the forum, MS color is selling 550D dead cheap as compared to previous IT fairs and roadshows.

Please give some advice, thanks. :(

Thanks!

sorry, is that body only?

oh, you mean kit I... i think.

you can give slr revolution a call, but i think they do not have free lcd protector, filter... perhaps? but price is ~$1276 i think, if you do not think you need these.

sorry, is that body only?

oh, you mean kit I... i think.

you can give slr revolution a call, but i think they do not have free lcd protector, filter... perhaps? but price is ~$1276 i think, if you do not think you need these.

Nope, its kit I :D

Oh, sure sure. I will give them a call tomorrow! :)

Hmm, i am open.. haha... Do let me know if u know of any place that sells 550D at a reasonable price and accept cc.. HAha... :) Best if can pay installment. :embrass:

Yea, i'm getting a new one. :D you?

Hmm, i am open.. haha... Do let me know if u know of any place that sells 550D at a reasonable price and accept cc.. HAha... :) Best if can pay installment. :embrass:

I was looking at it also.. lolz... only courts and best denki but at canon's rrp la. They can change the purchase with purchase plan, eg if you get a 550D and want to buy the 580EX 2 at $599.00 which is bundled for the 50D only, they can actually work it out for you. Checked both best denki bishan and courts amk. Both can, but no stock.. BD Bishan can get stock within 1 to 2 shipped from takashimaya lolz... while courts will take 3 days.

Totally OOP liao. Sorry TS.

Last edited:

If its at rrp, it more expensive. Why not pay by cash yea?

If you need to pay via installment for a hobby you better think twice. It's a hobby after all and should not incur additional costs or risks. If you must use installment then use a short term plan (6 months or so). For longer periods (e.g. 24months) there is a risk: in case you suddenly need cash and want to sell the 550D you will get less $ than what is the remaining installment plan. It's consumer electronics, market / resell value drops fast. Canon releases new models within 18 months.