will you ditch your DSLR for LX3?

will you ditch your DSLR for a good compact?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
its the best of both worlds. compact and great IQ

Absolutely. What Digital Camera magazine just did a three way test between Panasonic G1, Canon G10, and Olympus E-520 and pretty much said that of the three, it was easy to see that you weren't getting good image quality from the G10.

The G10 isn't all that different from the LX3 or the Ricoh model in that class and there just isn't much to recommend those for people who are particular about image quality. The prices for a premium point-and-shoot just can't be justified against the price of an inexpensive dSLR anymore. When the Panasonic G1 comes down in price, it should do well.

I dunno why this thread is created for. A compact cam, no matter how advanced and feature-packed, can never replace a DSLR for quality images. How can a small sensor beats a big big sensor? At least not for now.

Again. Misconception.

Sigma have also shown that a DSLR sensor can be placed in a P&S.

Again. Misconception.

Sigma have also shown that a DSLR sensor can be placed in a P&S.

Didn't say compact cannot have DSLR sensor, read my statement carefully. Your misconception in a misinterpretation. :) Anyway, go and read the review of this Sigma, at least is not main stream. Not doubt, sensor in compact cam will get bigger in the future.

They're two different kinds of equipment, so comparisons aren't really fair. Just like how F1 drivers probably have their own family sedans at home, and they're not going to compare specs with their F1 cars.

The compact is well, all about compactness and portability. And the LX-3 etc represents the best in its class. The whole idea is that you can capture an image conveniently, since you're more likely to bring a compact around. It's not about IQ per se.

(It's somewhat similar to an earlier thread about 8MP camera equipped phones vs digicompacts - a "low quality" shot taken with a small camera is better than no shot taken by the $12,000 DSLR left at home).

When we talk SLR, it's mainly the system and the flexibility it affords. Definitely superior in terms of handling, speed of focusing, IQ (lens bokeh, sensor clarity), and the list goes on.

But you're gonna look plenty un-cool if you're going to attend that party with that DSLR around your neck...

Didn't say compact cannot have DSLR sensor, read my statement carefully. Your misconception in a misinterpretation. :) Anyway, go and read the review of this Sigma, at least is not main stream. Not doubt, sensor in compact cam will get bigger in the future.

:confused::confused:

:dunno:

aniway, my stand is still depends on what the respective manufacturers wants to put into a P&S (aka non-interchangable lens, neither did I say P&S must be compact). It's already proven by the various manufacturers that they can put these features in their cams in the past.

But it's up to individuals if the P&S is "good enough" to ditch the DSLR for his/her purposes.

Using Synapseman's example... I feel that most of the time, I'm using F1 car for daily commute... so, personally I feel that LX3 is good enough and I've not been using my DSLR since I got it.

Of course, I'm still waiting for manufacturers to put all the best features in a single cam...

f/1.8 lens
24-70mm + WA option
APS-C sensor
G1-H class contrast AF
Oly waterproofing
.....etc

:lovegrin:

My opinion of the LX3 is that it cannot even replace my DP1, the image quality from a tiny sensor is nowhere near.

Functions and features wise, there isn't any PnS out that that can compete, let alone come close, to a DSLR.

My opinion of the LX3 is that it cannot even replace my DP1, the image quality from a tiny sensor is nowhere near.

Functions and features wise, there isn't any PnS out that that can compete, let alone come close, to a DSLR.

The LX3 is an overhyped camera.

eh you didnt have to post 4 times we get your pt :bsmilie:

no...... y should i...... if i wan light weight, i will take foto with my cell phone cam:bsmilie:

I ditched my 3mth LX3 for my 40D. No regrets.

no...... y should i...... if i wan light weight, i will take foto with my cell phone cam:bsmilie:

abit not polite leh bro.. but haha nowadays camera phone really soild also :bsmilie:

... pls open ur own thread ... "will u ditch ur P&S for a HP camera ?" :sweat:

LX3 vs my SLR ... cannot throw on floor.... cannot change lens....dun have dual slot backup function .... shutter spd dun have 8k.....cannot train biceps and fingers :embrass:

If there's something I still don't like about compacts, its primarily the speed.

Those who shoot landscape will know how fast clouds move to cover a beautiful ray of sunlight. I was at Hiroshima just 2 weeks ago when I saw a beautiful scene of the sun illuminating the A-Bomb Dome, out came my camera, fired 3 rapid shots only to realise I'm out of memory space. Lowered my camera to change CFs, the entire process took me about 5 to 10secs and when I tried to continue shooting, the scene that I saw earlier was gone.

Imagine, S3Pro already so slow liaoz and I have to learn to see things fast and grab the shot really quick, imagine if its a slower compact cam. I'll have to work even faster cos you all know how shutter lag and the AF lock can really screw things up with its slow speed.

Yes, we all get your point. You don't really have to post 4 times to get the point across you know? :sweat:

Anyway, I thought the DP1 is a great camera (despite its slow speed). If the S3Pro is described as a snail, the DP1 is perhaps a sloth.

I sold my D70 to sponsor my LX3 :bsmilie:

couple of reasons:
- D70 getting very old and batteries going cranky
- no $$$budget to buy a new DSLR
- LX3 is more convinent for travelling

Yes, we all get your point. You don't really have to post 4 times to get the point across you know? :sweat:

Anyway, I thought the DP1 is a great camera (despite its slow speed). If the S3Pro is described as a snail, the DP1 is perhaps a sloth.

:thumbsup: s3pro maybe slow but its no push over :D

anyway a friend sold his s5pro to get an LX3. +1 for compact here lol

Status
Not open for further replies.