Will you be willing to talk about your camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey catchlights, the one he is talking about is one of those photographers in zoo uniform asking to take pictures of visitors in the Zoo for money. So far, from my knowledge, and from seeing how they work, they are a different bunch from the ones hired to take pro commercial photos.
ok, I see, my bad, if this the photographer TS is referring to...

no offend to the "photographer", he is just a staff, NS or Zoo pass him a camera, ask him to take photos of guests on request. anyone spend here spent 3 months in CS may have more photography knowledge than him..... beside, I just saw some such photos taken by NS/Zoo staffs at my client place this morning.... think they just use a Nikon D300 as a PnS.

so to TS, you have ask a wrong question to a wrong person, don't think he can provide you an answer more than that.

btw, they use D200 or D300 not because want to be very pro, just than that is the lowest model able to shoot wifi.

and again, don't be so harsh on people like them, they pick up a camera is because the company want them to, not because they are interested on photography.

Hmm, this thread looks like it belongs more in the Kopitiam subforum.

Anyways, the guy could have been just a little more friendly. Wouldn't have hurt, whether he's a pro or average joe and of course, whether he knows what he is using at all.

Edit: A little PR skills in ANY job is always a plus no?

Last edited:
btw, they use D200 or D300 not because want to be very pro, just than that is the lowest model able to shoot wifi.

and again, don't be so harsh on people like them, they pick up a camera is because the company want them to, not because they are interested on photography.

Yup. bro catchlights is right. Zoo management made the call to get D300, probably due to the wifi capability. So the visitors can go to gift shop, pay and pick up their photos.

Those dudes are just doing their job and management gave them some sort of "training" and force the camera on them.

Anyways, the guy could have been just a little more friendly. Wouldn't have hurt, whether he's a pro or average joe and of course, whether he knows what he is using at all.

Thing is the dude is probably not impolite. He probably have no idea what the model of the Camera is. :bsmilie:

Thing is the dude is probably not impolite. He probably have no idea what the model of the Camera is. :bsmilie:

That's why I say "whether he knows what he is using at all".

If he can go up to strangers and get photos of them, he should at least have the courtesy to not "scorn" them. There's nothing wrong with just saying it's a Nikon, but it's the way he says it that matters isn't it?

Could be anyone's guess ... I mean, it's going to all speculation (and judgment from the looks of it).

I've had the 'what camera are you using' and even 'what camera is good ah?' type questions thrown at me or even asked nicely before ... even when I was RUSHING to get in position to get a shot. :faint:

When not rushing on downtime, I smile (yes, I try to) and say 'it doesn't matter what camera you use - all modern DSLRs are good, read some reviews and try a few models at the shop and select one you prefer'. I really really don't want to get into the 'this is better lah that is no good lah' as far as possible because there's a lot more objective information out there. I would also be lying if I said I loved to talk about equipment but I understand that some people do, even if they keep trying to force you to talk about equipment.

What I sense is that on the whole, most people who may not be really familiar with DSLRs, or those contemplating a new purchase or first upgrade look to someone shooting on the job as 'THE' person to ask because they assume that such a person is a 'PROFESSIONAL'.

That could be a compliment, or a hinderence as Catchlights pointed out.

If it's a hinderence, as strange as it seems to some, some working pros tend to get irritated - and show it. Imagine you're a engineer and you're up to you sleeves in circuit boards or on a console trying to prevent a reactor from blowing up (figure of speech, please don't take it literally), and the client starts asking you about the brand of screwdrivers you use lah and what soldering iron is good because he wants to mod his remote control bla bla bla, or something as seemingly innocent as a one-question 'Is that a Stanley?'. By then, chances are, you would be distracted.

I'm not saying it's correct to be rude, but do put yourselves in that person's shoes for a moment ... he could just be a sian worker kenar exploited to become photographer, get scolding if the photos are not usable and doesn't get paid at all for the extra responsibility!

Last edited:
I will put in another possibility.

Perhaps the person is sick of taking pictures but no choice since he needs the money to feed his family. How many of us are in similar situation where we hate the job that we are doing but cannot do anything about it because we need the money? You end up take it out of your colleagues/bosses/customers or whoever comes into contact with you...

Let's draw another 2 situations. You are walking and a stranger comes up to you and asked..... hi may I know what have you just purchased. Think in sequence, what is your initial reaction.

Two, you walk into the GP doctor, don't say anything other than. Doc.... do you have an Canon dSLR? What is the doc initial reaction.

Remember, when you are being asked a question a out of the moon question by strangers, there is a tendency for people to think, interprete intention (include facial expression), processs and answer. That doesn't mean he/she is rude and surely this is not related to photo gear. It is human reaction.

The more adult hood you are, the more complex you get. The more hostile, sensitive and political environment you are in, the more suspicious you get. The more esteemed in rank you are in the society or profession, the more caution is your reply.

Let's draw another 2 situations. You are walking and a stranger comes up to you and asked..... hi may I know what have you just purchased. Think in sequence, what is your initial reaction.

Two, you walk into the GP doctor, don't say anything other than. Doc.... do you have an Canon dSLR? What is the doc initial reaction.

Remember, when you are being asked a question a out of the moon question by strangers, there is a tendency for people to think, interprete intention (include facial expression), processs and answer. That doesn't mean he/she is rude and surely this is not related to photo gear. It is human reaction.

The more adult hood you are, the more complex you get. The more hostile, sensitive and political environment you are in, the more suspicious you get. The more esteemed in rank you are in the society or profession, the more caution is your reply.
I don't think the scenarios that you have mentioned apply to TS' incident. It is not like TS came up to this guy and pop the question out of the blue. The guy invited TS and his family for a photo shot which was intended to generate business for the zoo. The guy was using the camera to shot the picture and then TS ask the question.

My adsl hung just now. :bsmilie:

Yes, it applies too. When the photographer after a whole day's work did not expect any zoo visitors to ask this kind of question, he/she will pause. I am merely balancing what might be situation in this discussion.

I don't think the scenarios that you have mentioned apply to TS' incident. It is not like TS came up to this guy and pop the question out of the blue. The guy invited TS and his family for a photo shot which was intended to generate business for the zoo. The guy was using the camera to shot the picture and then TS ask the question.

Last edited:
The simple answer is that camera might not belong to him. He just a staff. Given the everyday shutter count of this job versus the payment, i guest no photographer will want to use his own camera. :D

So, take it easy & move on.

Imagine you're a engineer and you're up to you sleeves in circuit boards or on a console trying to prevent a reactor from blowing up (figure of speech, please don't take it literally), and the client starts asking you about the brand of screwdrivers you use lah and what soldering iron is good because he wants to mod his remote control bla bla bla, or something as seemingly innocent as a one-question 'Is that a Stanley?'. By then, chances are, you would be distracted.

Great illustration ^.^

Could be anyone's guess ... I mean, it's going to all speculation (and judgment from the looks of it).

I've had the 'what camera are you using' and even 'what camera is good ah?' type questions thrown at me or even asked nicely before ... even when I was RUSHING to get in position to get a shot. :faint:

When not rushing on downtime, I smile (yes, I try to) and say 'it doesn't matter what camera you use - all modern DSLRs are good, read some reviews and try a few models at the shop and select one you prefer'. I really really don't want to get into the 'this is better lah that is no good lah' as far as possible because there's a lot more objective information out there. I would also be lying if I said I loved to talk about equipment but I understand that some people do, even if they keep trying to force you to talk about equipment.

What I sense is that on the whole, most people who may not be really familiar with DSLRs, or those contemplating a new purchase or first upgrade look to someone shooting on the job as 'THE' person to ask because they assume that such a person is a 'PROFESSIONAL'.

If it's a hinderence, as strange as it seems to some, some working pros tend to get irritated - and show it. Imagine you're a engineer and you're up to you sleeves in circuit boards or on a console trying to prevent a reactor from blowing up (figure of speech, please don't take it literally), and the client starts asking you about the brand of screwdrivers you use lah and what soldering iron is good because he wants to mod his remote control bla bla bla, or something as seemingly innocent as a one-question 'Is that a Stanley?'. By then, chances are, you would be distracted.

I'm not saying it's correct to be rude, but do put yourselves in that person's shoes for a moment ... he could just be a sian worker kenar exploited to become photographer, get scolding if the photos are not usable and doesn't get paid at all for the extra responsibility!

Well said...

Hey catchlights, the one he is talking about is one of those photographers in zoo uniform asking to take pictures of visitors in the Zoo for money. So far, from my knowledge, and from seeing how they work, they are a different bunch from the ones hired to take pro commercial photos.

nono
not those types

he's those who take photos for the nigth safair and let them company use it for rthemselves

hence i said in my first post
"he didn't even show us the photos"
or something like that
he's not wearing a zoo uniform.. just his own black polo shirt , with a photographer's pass hanging on his neck

the phrase i quoted in my 1st post
is exactly what i said... nothing more .. nothing less
i know which cameras are "good" and suits me

the examples u quoted are generic and i kinda agree... many people are still so OBSESSED WITH THE MEGA PIXIE MYTH...i can't stand those types the most

Last edited:
hum a bit hard to say, my friend always ask me about this and I am aware that the money that I spend for my DSLR will make them thinking that I waste too much money for it. So sometimes not really comfortable to answer especially if the one who are asking is not familiar with DSLR world
Just tell him you paid sgd 450 for a 5D mk II lah! If you don't him to feel uncomfortable :) But the next time he wants to buy the same camera as yours......you are in trouble!:bsmilie:

HS

nono
not those types

he's those who take photos for the nigth safair and let them company use it for rthemselves

hence i said in my first post
"he didn't even show us the photos"
or something like that
he's not wearing a zoo uniform.. just his own black polo shirt , with a photographer's pass hanging on his neck

Ok my bad. In that case, I think the photographer has every right to do what he did to you. No offense. You can ask all you want, he can don't answer all he wants. He was there to do a job and wasn't obliged to do or answer anything else. Have to give him benefit of the doubt, coz maybe he is rushing for time. Finish his work so he can go home to be with his family. Or maybe he is deep in thought about his work. He is there to do his job and not to socialize with visitors to the zoo. He answers to his client alone.

As for the picture he took of you and your party, he asked, and you agreed. He was not obliged to show you the pic. You could decline to have your photo taken. That was your right.

And I don't know what cam he is using now that we have established that he is not one of those zoo employees touting memorable-day-at-the-zoo shots. Sorry TS and catchlights!

Last edited:
Talk here is better, no time frame and any topic or brand.

Most , importantly, those who is/are willing to participate here, means they are free to share with you of what they know.

Professionals are being hired to do a job or cover an assignment, not to partake in chatting, drinking or eating or being distracted by other happenings non related.

Status
Not open for further replies.