Will you be willing to talk about your camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's fine for me,I don't have any fancy gears.
The other day I was out and this couple asked me to help them take a picture and then they inquired about my camera model and i just told them,thats all.

I think some people feel offended when you ask them about their equipment. It is something like asking what is your salary.

Next time, maybe ask photographers about composition, exposure, or aperture etc they are using.

A professional? My thoughts :think:> 1st - he's unfriendly. 2nd - he shouldn't be in the service sector. 3rd - the camera might not belong to him. 4th - he's just doing his job. 5th - not professional. My 2 cents worth

My guess will be he is a professional photographer with a low EQ. He may be good at taking photos but not good at dealing with people. You see too many good technical people be it computer or other profession who can do the job well but are not good in handling customers or clients.

Quite true.... Personally I don't mind telling people what kind of camera I'm using... But to some people it could be abit offensive because he might think you are judging his photos base on the equipments, not his skills...

i don't understand the offensive part of such qn. just say the model only and how difficult is that. is not like his camera costs 1million dollar or what.at most all his gear add up 5 digits nian...it gives ppl a feel singaporean or photographer for the matter very yaya..cannot talk to them and unapproachable.and is poor business sense if he is really a pro earning bucks from it.

if he has to think such qn leads to ppl thinking his photo is gd based on equipment or his salary...i can only say he has very low self esteem..

may be you are holding a nikon d3x and he is holding a d70...:devil:

Again, I'm not defending the photographer... but just to get people to see all sides... to you he was rude because you asked one question and might have asked a second question. But he's there maybe 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, and might get asked that question several times a day. Seeing how intrigued the Singapore population seems to be with technology, I can see this as a distinct possibility. So your question might be the tenth time he'd be asked the same question that day.

:thumbsup:

Maybe the photographer misinterpreted that you were trying to question his equipment's capability. Some people might feel offended if he's not confident with what he's doing, yet someone is asking some related stuff.

I think some people feel offended when you ask them about their equipment. It is something like asking what is your salary.

Next time, maybe ask photographers about composition, exposure, or aperture etc they are using.

i totally disagree
asking on the camera model .. these kind of question can be answered in one phrase

asking a PROFESSIONAL photographer on aperture etc etc .. is as if i'm testing him theory.. which is all subjective
totally rude and insensitive

i wasn't holding any camera at all
unless he sense threat coming from my camera phone ...lol

i totally disagree
asking on the camera model .. these kind of question can be answered in one phrase

asking a PROFESSIONAL photographer on aperture etc etc .. is as if i'm testing him theory.. which is all subjective
totally rude and insensitive

If it really rocks your boat to know: All cameras used by Zoo personnel are D300 with kit lens. For flash they use pop up flash to shoot. They are not "that professional" if you get what I mean. The Zoo owns all the cameras. They are just normal zoo employees.

Personally, I don't really care. Several approached me when I was at the zoo. I waved my D90 with 24-120 lens at them, smiled and they backed off. And no, I have no problems telling people what camera I use, and this is true even when I was using PnS, prosumer, D40x or film.

BTW, this particular one you met is a HE? When I was at the zoo, all the photographers I saw were all ladies.

Last edited:
If it really rocks your boat to know: All cameras used by Zoo personnel are D300 with kit lens. For flash they use pop up flash to shoot. They are not "that professional" if you get what I mean. The Zoo owns all the cameras. They are just normal zoo employees.

Personally, I don't really care. Several approached me when I was at the zoo. I waved my D90 with 24-120 lens at them, smiled and they backed off. And no, I have no problems telling people what camera I use, and this is true even when I was using PnS, prosumer, D40x or film.

BTW, this particular one you met is a HE? When I was at the zoo, all the photographers I saw were all ladies.

night safari Halloween special
yes is a he
don't tell me its you >.>

night safari Halloween special
yes is a he
don't tell me its you >.>

Huh? No, definitely not me even though I live like an animal. :bsmilie:
I was a visitor at the zoo with my wife. No we don't work at the zoo, we still have to pay for the entry. Last time I check, we are not the Proboscis Monkey as well. LOL.

The ones that approached me were the Zoo photographers... sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Huh? No, definitely not me even though I live like an animal. :bsmilie:
I was a visitor at the zoo with my wife. No we don't work at the zoo, we still have to pay for the entry. Last time I check, we are not the Proboscis Monkey as well. LOL.

The ones that approached me were the Zoo photographers... sorry for the misunderstanding.

hahhaha you don't have to apologies at all
anyway thanks for the info on D300 and the zoo photographers

So we should not consider these people as professional photographers. They are just zoo employees that use a camera to take shots for the visitors? They might even be temporary staff who is earning hourly wages... Pay peanuts and get monkeys (no pun intended)...

So we should not consider these people as professional photographers. They are just zoo employees that use a camera to take shots for the visitors? They might even be temporary staff who is earning hourly wages... Pay peanuts and get monkeys (no pun intended)...

either that or that guys just has the damn ego attitude. look down on everyone.

Yes CS TAN, you hit the nail on the head... :D
I can bet they all use P mode. :bsmilie:

went to the night safari with my friends today..
suddenly a professional photographer hired by the zoo came up to us and ask for a photo to be taken... we agree and let him took the shot...

after taking our photo i proceeded to ask this question while he is reviewing the picture
"may i ask what is the model of your camera"

the professional photographer gave me a "wtf" look and answered "nikon" reluctantly..
i mean i know its nikon
what i'm asking is what model no. it is...

this happened at the entrance.... not at the tram area... we were approached by him between the bus stop and the night safari entrance

so my question to you guys is
Are you comfortable to talk about your equipment???
and
Is it rude to ask what equipment people are using??

was i to blamed? i'm still a novice at photography .. so there might be customs that i am not aware of
FYI, a few years ago, I meet a photographer hired by Night Safari, to shoot some animals in the park, for updating the picture library of Night Safari.
after a casual conversation, found out this photographer is not just an ordinary joe, he has a degree in zoological and also an accredit widelife photographer...

anyway, professional photographers are unlike other casual shooters, usually won't want to have any conversation nothing related to their work while they are shooting, and dislike any distraction.. for an example, if I meet my fellow photographers at work in a public place, usually I will just walk up and say hello if he sees me, than I will leave this place, if not, I just leave him alone to let him concentrate on his work.

Last edited:
talk about my camera... sure, i'm alway happy to share some info, no problems.

i couldn't really care if it was a cheap as chips p&s or an entry level dslr or some ancient "film" camera, if someone were to ask me it shows that they're interested and i'm happy to oblige. (i might even learn something as well.)

I totally agree with you. It's the attitude of some people. For you and me...we continue to share and learn. psst...what camera do you use? Me? I ahem...Nikon lah...

FYI, a few years ago, I meet a photographer hired by Night Safari, to shoot some animals in the park, for updating the picture library of Night Safari.
after a casual conversation, found out this photographer is not just an ordinary joe, he has a degree in zoological and also an accredit widelife photographer...

anyway, professional photographers are unlike other casual shooters, usually won't want to have any conversation nothing related to their work while they are shooting, and dislike any distraction.. for an example, if I meet my fellow photographers at work in a public place, usually I will just walk up and say hello if he sees me, than I will leave this place, if not, I just leave him alone to let him concentrate on his work.

Hey catchlights, the one he is talking about is one of those photographers in zoo uniform asking to take pictures of visitors in the Zoo for money. So far, from my knowledge, and from seeing how they work, they are a different bunch from the ones hired to take pro commercial photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.