Why does the Leica M9 cost US$6,995 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can it be. Look at all your L lenses.
Lenses we're all paying for optics la. Then again if you want a 50 1.2, there's no other cheaper alternative right?

What I mean by luxury is like how LV wallet can cost folds more than the regular wallet and it's not like they're made out of expensive materials anyway. But I can relate do that... but for tech... I just find it hard to relate. Like if an Apple notebook were to cost $10K for the same specs you can get on a $1K windows notebook, I'd get the windows.

Last edited:
To TS, please allow me to add in a little bit of my slightly OT opinion.
I believe it boils down to how a photographer/collector sees the M9. As a purist, he would stop at nothing to obtain this. And more importantly he would appreciate all the finesse which ten thousand of his dollars have bought him.
One very good photographer told me that he dumped all his Canon and gears, sold all his Nikon gears, and finally got himself two M8 bodies and a few good lenses. The next surprising thing he told me? "You can carry it like a compact P&S and no one will stop you photographing..."
This last sentence is enough to send me flying to the M9.... joking, joking.

One very good photographer told me that he dumped all his Canon and gears, sold all his Nikon gears, and finally got himself two M8 bodies and a few good lenses. The next surprising thing he told me? "You can carry it like a compact P&S and no one will stop you photographing..."
This last sentence is enough to send me flying to the M9.... joking, joking.

very true...but it also depends on what one shoots...RF are good for streets, travel etc...but SLRs are better at shooting macro, sports, portraits...so I guess one just have to buy into the system one needs...:)

Well, leica brand is like apple. It has consumers with strong brand loyalty. That explains the premium of apple and leica products.
Leica's products are also unique in a sense, it is, as far as I know, the only digital rangefinder(besides 1 model by Epson).

Rangefinder is a rather unique category as it is different and most street photographer like to use them. Discreet, quiet(no mirror flip) and the viewfinder. Yes, the viewfinder.
The viewfinder is more than 100% as you can see beyond what would be recorded by the photo. SO you will have lines in the viewfinder to box out which part is recorded. This, many photographers argue, is what photography is about- framing the shot.
You can frame better if you know not what is in the photo, but what you left out of the photo.

The problem with rangefinder is that its viewfinder is offset, so there would be problem with alignment. Here is where leica's expensive. They have a mechanical system(if i am not wrong, its mechanical) to correct for this offset. Pretty hard to do.

That's why most of Leica's M mount is prime lenses. I think there's only 1 model with triple focus length.
Note: it's 3 focus lengths, not a range of focus length.

Again, leica's users must be some filthy rich, or professionals. Their cost of their body is spare change compared to the lens, which can be like 20k for a 50mm. The beauty of the price? it's f/0.95. Go figure.

But there's really something about leica that is unique. Check out these photos and determine for yourself whether is it worth it price.
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0810/callie-bp.html

To me, leica promotes photography to a art form.

Hmm, I thought u already answered yr own question?

It is the company's prerogative to price it at such level... whether the person who eventually bought the M9 is such a sucker or a real master.... is really not for us to comment.

This been itchin me and I've been trying to understand why. I know it's a legend, I know it's Leica... but really?... these 2 factors made the digital full-frame rangefinder costing US$6,995 ? Pardon me if I sound ignorant but...am very much clueless and curious. :bsmilie:

If anyone could shed some light, that'd be great.

Hmm, I thought u already answered yr own question?
I was questioning my own answer, if you see. Well, I guess it's true then, a Leica is what makes the M9 costing SGD10K.

Thanks people.

P.S. I still can't relate though, really...hahaha... Just not my camera I guess. My next splurg-able $10K would be on a Rolex Submariner :D

As someone else has already mentioned earlier..
It is true, someone will pay SGD$2k for a pair of jimmy choo heels, when a charles&keith's version costs less than SGD$40.00

Branding....

Why does APPLE laptops with lower specs costs much more than ACER, HP, DELL?

Branding....

Of course, Leicas are really good cameras...but branding is what makes LEICA commands the pricetags.
IMHO.

I was questioning my own answer, if you see. Well, I guess it's true then, a Leica is what makes the M9 costing SGD10K.

Thanks people.

P.S. I still can't relate though, really...hahaha... Just not my camera I guess. My next splurg-able $10K would be on a Rolex Submariner :D

Er...so you started this thread to tell us that you are getting an expensive watch? hahaha..:bsmilie:

Kidding yah.

When in doubt, read your own answers again. Your first gut feeling answer is the correct answer.

U don't need to relate. Luxury and technology are two different things.
E.g. I can stick diamonds to a 1 megapixel camera and sell it for at least 5-6 digits (depending on the grade, carats, etc of the diamonds used).

No la haha... that to end that I still can't relate luxury to technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.