WHY Canon? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the world of marketing. Nowadays, most companies are going for the 'world's first' title and using three letter acronymns as marketing tools to promote their business. Canon is one of them and I think they're rather good at it. Advertising and branding plays an important role too in corporate business.

I think they only valid reason why some working professionals made the switch is the technical support that you'll get from the service centre. Other than that, its purely effects from strong marketing branding.

So, smart buyers and users of technology, please take whatever marketing campaign with a big pinch of salt. Buy what you need and what your budget allows you. The brand doesnt matter here. I love my Canon system because it works. If I had a Nikon, I would probably enjoy using it as well.

Don't forget to post your pics at Clubsnap for us to see as well. Have a good week ahead.

Cheers!

seriously to be frank, i think it is marketing power... the power of branding.

if u see the colors retention of some canon basic entry level models.. it is not so good compare to underdog brands like pentax and sony..

i think the good ones are the higher end models like 1D, 5D and even 30D... and with the L lenses.

For the money, I'd say only the 5D is close to what I'd deem useable. Not even the 1DSmkII, so I guess I won't put my money there for the time being. Still stuck with a lot of Nikon stuff and I'm glad about that.

I think marketing is ONLY effective if you have a good product to market in the first place. I get the feeling that many attribute Canon's success primarily to its marketing. True to a certain extent... but if you have crappy products, well try to market that.

And besides, marketing probably reels in the amateurs more than the professionals. I think working photographers are smart enough to decide on a product based on its merit rather than all the fancy advertisement and marketing ploys.

Most of the photogs in the America's Next Top Model use Hassey H series, even TyTy Baby... change to Hassey H series with digital back now... build quality definitely good and image quality definitely good as well...

And Hassey owned and distributed by Shriro... service definitely good... Ms. J and Mr L :thumbsup:

me... D200 good enough for personal use...

I think marketing is ONLY effective if you have a good product to market in the first place. I get the feeling that many attribute Canon's success primarily to its marketing. True to a certain extent... but if you have crappy products, well try to market that.

And besides, marketing probably reels in the amateurs more than the professionals. I think working photographers are smart enough to decide on a product based on its merit rather than all the fancy advertisement and marketing ploys.

Well, I'd say their products are good enough. You don't need a good product to market well, you'll just need one that is good enough and keep the prices affordable and target the right customer and what they want.

Do customers need sharpness? Yes, to a certain extent, it's meant for newspaper and magazines.... They made it good enough for that. They need focusing speed.. Yes, we'll make it faster than Nikon... There you go... What's the price? About the same as Nikkor, plus we'll throw in great support, we'll loan you a replacement if the lens ever needs servicing.. blah blah blah... You'll buy wouldn't you? That's marketing...

Most of the Canon shooters are press or magazine anyway, so support is more important than anything else. That's why they are able to win over a large number of professionals.

I find that the optics for Canon are only good enough. Honestly, in terms of Macro, I'd put Olympus Zuiko in front of Canon, and generally Minolta is still ahead. And of course Nikon is in front of all of them.

In the film league, you'll be able to tell the difference clearly but with digital, they are able to 'correct' the inherent softness and lack of contrast of their lenses with software in the camera. At least they have foresight that photography will follow video and go electronic/digital. Canon already has the technology, that's why they're able to leap ahead of Nikon when it happened.

The fact that Canon is good enough as an all rounder, gives great service and support, gives good returns to dealers, they are able to secure a large portion of the pie. Of course, designating L on their lenses and charging a premium helps too. ;p

Most of the photogs in the America's Next Top Model use Hassey H series, even TyTy Baby... change to Hassey H series with digital back now... build quality definitely good and image quality definitely good as well...

And Hassey owned and distributed by Shriro... service definitely good... Ms. J and Mr L :thumbsup:

me... D200 good enough for personal use...

I wonder why they didn't give good service for Nikon.... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.