Who is learning driving now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1)When we do the slope in circuit right., do when signal right once pulled up the handbrake or only signal right before moving off?
> Always check direction, signal, check blind spots, then execute your slope moving off

2)When doing lane change do we signal 1st den check blindspot or vice versa?
> Always check direction, signal, check blind spots and execute

3)When sae during tp got car stop at side of a double white line road for quite long., den opposite lane got cars.. den how ar? can't cross the centre of the road right?
> If opposite road traffic is clear, signal right and move along the centre lane (while the right signal is still on). Else stop the car in one car length distance to the stationary car and wait for opposite traffic is clear.

4)When passing obstacles., only go pass in second gear right?
> What obstacles ?

Just got a N95 8GB. Next time want to go some where, no scare lost liao, haha! ;p

Next mth, me going to rent again. 1 mth no drive liao, hopes still can manage. ;)

> What obstacles ?

As in like got cyclists at the side of the road., must go past dem slowly rite?

> What obstacles ?

Give them 1.5 m to 2, then pass them as normal... make sure they are not swerving about on the road first.

Just got a N95 8GB. Next time want to go some where, no scare lost liao, haha! ;p

Next mth, me going to rent again. 1 mth no drive liao, hopes still can manage. ;)

My wife and I are deciding to get a GPS for our car. Later we found out a streetdirectory book costs $10 only. Maybe we will need it when travel oversea.

> What obstacles ?

I think the correct term is road hazard.

When you approach a road hazard, slow down from a distance. See situation whether you can overtake it.

- as zac08 said check for 1.5m to 2m allowance
- check any fast vehicle from behind is overtaking you
- check any opposite traffic vehicle cut into your lane

If above conditions are clear, just overtake as per normal ( see direction, signal, check blind spots, overtake )

Else, slow down and stop at least 1 car length distance to the road hazard. Signal right to let others know you are going to overtake. Ensure the above conditions are clear, then overtake ( see direction, check blind spots, overtake ).

:bsmilie::bsmilie: same here, streetdirectory is good enough...always plan my route

My wife and I are deciding to get a GPS for our car. Later we found out a streetdirectory book costs $10 only. Maybe we will need it when travel oversea.

Problem with a streetdirectory is that you can't use it while you're driving, so you've got to plan your route before you start or have someone navigate for you.

I got a Holux GPSmile 53CL for about $500. It can search by postal code, building names or street names, it's quite good except that when you drive out of an underground or covered car park, it will take about a couple of minutes for the GPS to lock your location. Worse when you're not stationary. So sometimes if I don't know the place well, I might need to do a few rounds of the nearby road before it start to route for me. Better if can park the car by the road side to lock position first. But it's not feasible when traffic is heavy.

Problem with a streetdirectory is that you can't use it while you're driving, so you've got to plan your route before you start or have someone navigate for you.

I got a Holux GPSmile 53CL for about $500. It can search by postal code, building names or street names, it's quite good except that when you drive out of an underground or covered car park, it will take about a couple of minutes for the GPS to lock your location. Worse when you're not stationary. So sometimes if I don't know the place well, I might need to do a few rounds of the nearby road before it start to route for me. Better if can park the car by the road side to lock position first. But it's not feasible when traffic is heavy.
If you need to stop the car, streetdirectory is still better :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

If you need to stop the car, streetdirectory is still better :bsmilie:

Street directory you'll need to stop longer mah.. flip the page, flip the page, find the connecting map blah blah... ;p Once GPS locks (less than 30s if stationary), I'm good to go! ;p I can also use the GPS device as an electronic directory if I'm not using the GPS functions. Anyway, I still keep a copy of street directory in the car just in case. ;p

Correct. Street Directory cost less but a lot of things also not from there. Esp road nowadays change every now n then, so troublesome. On top of that, the book, u need to keep it well else pages will keep dropping out in the end. Your map reading skill also need to be good but for experience drivers like u, still need such things meh? :think:;p

Street directory you'll need to stop longer mah.. flip the page, flip the page, find the connecting map blah blah... ;p Once GPS locks (less than 30s if stationary), I'm good to go! ;p I can also use the GPS device as an electronic directory if I'm not using the GPS functions. Anyway, I still keep a copy of street directory in the car just in case. ;p

Correct. Street Directory cost less but a lot of things also not from there. Esp road nowadays change every now n then, so troublesome. On top of that, the book, u need to keep it well else pages will keep dropping out in the end. Your map reading skill also need to be good but for experience drivers like u, still need such things meh? :think:;p

Get the Singapore Public Transport Map. See this link

http://www.mightyminds.com.sg/DirectoriesAndGuides.html

5th item from the top. The map is big and clear. Generally it shows overview map.

Streetdirectory is useful as it shows specified and detail map but more flipping.

If there is an adjacent car, use the headlights as a guide. I rely a lot on the side mirrors to get myself parallel to the lot.

yeah I know. but I just never got the whole "learn by parking poles" methodology. even Australia with its rather oddball of a learning system at times do not use parking poles. like a mate once said, it's not like you would bring poles around with your car and plant them down on the ground to aid in parking. and what if you drove huge cars like the Commodores or the Falcons? everything you learn about turning at particular points would be out of the question, and even those guides differ from car to car.

it was one of the things I quickly abandoned when I got my licence, and I remember reversing in and out of lots all those years ago to dump whatever that was program into me by the driving school.

ah those were the days.

I was doing some mapping as need to go to town area on coming SAT. I used google map (they using GPS, right?) and in the end, I ended with routes that didn't favors me much. I got to pass ERP again even I out of the ERP zone. In the end, I do my own mapping, found a way back, skip all the ERP which been there. So, don't use GPS in local, it will be useless as it will makes u goes into more ERP and longer distance in the end. :thumbsd:

I was doing some mapping as need to go to town area on coming SAT. I used google map (they using GPS, right?) and in the end, I ended with routes that didn't favors me much. I got to pass ERP again even I out of the ERP zone. In the end, I do my own mapping, found a way back, skip all the ERP which been there. So, don't use GPS in local, it will be useless as it will makes u goes into more ERP and longer distance in the end. :thumbsd:

Guess the software logic needs improvement.

I find GPS is fun to play with beginning stage, later will become annoying due to the sound instruction.

haven driven a car since passing in nov last yr.. perhaps i should rent a car and drive it around sometime.. :bsmilie:

haven driven a car since passing in nov last yr.. perhaps i should rent a car and drive it around sometime..

You better drive at small road first since 2 mths plus didn't drive. Why I say so cause I almost have a FATAL accident when on the way back. Following is my report :

I send my friend back to Jurong West, coming back to bukit batok. Been driving since friday and clocked over 350 KM as time of near accident (wasted petrol n $ :bheart:). I really damn tired, without much sleep n heavy travelling n so, my concentration level is quite low. But I drink coffee n red bull to keep myself awake.

After dropping my friend, I drive as my usual style n speed, consider quite steady, better off than some P-plate which I can overtake as they road hog. ;p Come to a cross junction, I know I am going to turn right and the lane, is from 2 to 3 with right turn. Infront of me, a TAXI! Ok, I follow him and he didn't signal, stay at the center and so, I acc up once I in the filter lane as I saw the right turn arrow was there.

About to reach the junction, the taxi cut into my lane n THEN signal, I jam break, keep horning at him (old uncle). If I really hits him n he dies, I also wouldn't feels guilty. WHY? Because he is holding the phone n drives! Basket, if he want to make a living, make sure he know the way well n not drive like gangster. If not for my fast reaction, I bet that I will be on the paper head line tomorrow.

After the near miss, I follow him and thought he just lane change again to argue with me or whatever. But NO! He from the center of 4 lanes, he turn to the left filter lane just like that. What if behind him is another oncoming n fast moving car? I bet that passenger inside his car sure having a heart attack after alighting. :thumbsd:

What frighten me is not the death of him when I thinks back, but I will be hit by the car if the rear car tailgate me too near and never expect me to jam break to avoid the STUPID taxi driver. If that happened, the TAXI driver get away scout free and we (mostly the one from behind) to bear the cost.

So, next time whenever you drive on the road, esp newbies or those who hardly drives, BEWARE of taxi drivers n some woman drivers. I also encounter a woman driver who drives BMW n no use ear piece to talk on the phone. At least she know the way, if not, sure let me kiss her backside, haha! :bsmilie: What my friend told me is true, taxi n woman drivers, beware as u never know what they going to do NEXT! :sweat:

You better drive at small road first since 2 mths plus didn't drive. Why I say so cause I almost have a FATAL accident when on the way back. Following is my report :

I send my friend back to Jurong West, coming back to bukit batok. Been driving since friday and clocked over 350 KM as time of near accident (wasted petrol n $ :bheart:). I really damn tired, without much sleep n heavy travelling n so, my concentration level is quite low. But I drink coffee n red bull to keep myself awake.

After dropping my friend, I drive as my usual style n speed, consider quite steady, better off than some P-plate which I can overtake as they road hog. ;p Come to a cross junction, I know I am going to turn right and the lane, is from 2 to 3 with right turn. Infront of me, a TAXI! Ok, I follow him and he didn't signal, stay at the center and so, I acc up once I in the filter lane as I saw the right turn arrow was there.

About to reach the junction, the taxi cut into my lane n THEN signal, I jam break, keep horning at him (old uncle). If I really hits him n he dies, I also wouldn't feels guilty. WHY? Because he is holding the phone n drives! Basket, if he want to make a living, make sure he know the way well n not drive like gangster. If not for my fast reaction, I bet that I will be on the paper head line tomorrow.

After the near miss, I follow him and thought he just lane change again to argue with me or whatever. But NO! He from the center of 4 lanes, he turn to the left filter lane just like that. What if behind him is another oncoming n fast moving car? I bet that passenger inside his car sure having a heart attack after alighting. :thumbsd:

What frighten me is not the death of him when I thinks back, but I will be hit by the car if the rear car tailgate me too near and never expect me to jam break to avoid the STUPID taxi driver. If that happened, the TAXI driver get away scout free and we (mostly the one from behind) to bear the cost.

So, next time whenever you drive on the road, esp newbies or those who hardly drives, BEWARE of taxi drivers n some woman drivers. I also encounter a woman driver who drives BMW n no use ear piece to talk on the phone. At least she know the way, if not, sure let me kiss her backside, haha! :bsmilie: What my friend told me is true, taxi n woman drivers, beware as u never know what they going to do NEXT! :sweat:

I passed in Nov and been driving for about 2 months now. I'm into my 4500km. What I can say is, beware of taxis and commercial vehicles, they don't give a d@mn about safety on the roads. Check your blindspot for motorcycles while filtering. Don't tailgate. What's worse is when you're trying to filter and you're already 1/2 way in the other lane when the car behind you thinks he can filter and overtake you at the same time without even signalling and all that when my speed is already nearly 90km/h!! Made me swerved back into my lane.. what if a motorcycle came into my lane? I reported one such incident to TP already! Also, never lane change into the lane when a vehicle is still changing lanes, he may need to swerve back if an @$$hole wants to bulldoze his way through.

also, be careful about traffic lights. I know it's a damn "duh" thing to mention/remind, but I almost got mowed over 4 times in the past 2 months by fools who try to beat the redlight, or have complete disregard about pedestrian's right of way *ie, green man for me*

bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.