Which shop offers a better price and good customer service?

Which shop offers a better price and good customer service?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I was a newbie and very excited when I bought my first DSLR Nikon D90. I went to Funan Centre to get more stuff as I cant wait to use it. Walked past John 3:16 and being a christian myself, was naturally attracted by its name. The staff were busy and seemed friendly. I bought a HOYA UV (C) Filter at $65 and happily left the shop. Met a friend and told him what I bought and its price and where I bought it from. He commented that it was very expensive. He brought me to a shop opposite John 3:16 and bought the same item for himself as he was looking for the item...but at only $37. I found price difference startling. Though it was only $28 difference in price, it was about almost twice the price difference. Was abit puzzled and went back to John 3:16 to check back. I went back to the same staff and was speaking softly to him as he had a customer beside him. His reply was "Thats our price", well, with a smile....I felt like a "cheated" idiot. Well, I only have myself to blame as i did not do any research on the price. I can accept some price difference and I understand different shops do sell items at different prices, but really, not almost twice. Anyways, I just smile and left the shop and that was probably my last time into the shop.

That was very good lesson learnt. Lucky I bought an item of a small value. Its advisable to check around to find out more before buying anything. Trust can be expensive....but at least the staff at John 3:16 was friendly. The $28 smile was a bit expensive though.

I believe the shop opposite John 3:16 now is bally. Bally is very "famous"! Try SLR Revo for better price in the future. John is still the best in terms of service.

Hi All,

Been considering whether to buy from Parisilk Holland V because it is the cheapest among all but worried about the products hope for some good advice..
Below are some homework i did by calling the shops for their quote on the 17-55mm f2.8 lens

The price includes gst and credit card admin charge for 12months instalment plan:

Cathay Photo: $1590 (I know Patrick bought my nx 100 from him so manage to get this price)
Parisilk Holland V: $1570
SLR Revolution: $1594
Orient Photo: $1590
The camera Workshop: $1522 (Parallel Import 1 year warranty from Shop itself).
John 316: $:D1615

Hi All,

Been considering whether to buy from Parisilk Holland V because it is the cheapest among all but worried about the products hope for some good advice..
Below are some homework i did by calling the shops for their quote on the 17-55mm f2.8 lens

The price includes gst and credit card admin charge for 12months instalment plan:

Cathay Photo: $1590 (I know Patrick bought my nx 100 from him so manage to get this price)
Parisilk Holland V: $1570
SLR Revolution: $1594
Orient Photo: $1590
The camera Workshop: $1522 (Parallel Import 1 year warranty from Shop itself).
John 316: $:D1615

Easy, get the one that is the cheapest and most convenient to get, how long is the Canon warranty anyway? If longer than a year then I wouldn't get the camera workshop one, that little bit of saving is not worth the extra warranty.

Easy, get the one that is the cheapest and most convenient to get, how long is the Canon warranty anyway? If longer than a year then I wouldn't get the camera workshop one, that little bit of saving is not worth the extra warranty.

Ok bro cheapest would be from Parisilk holland V at $1578 all the warranty they offer is 1 year from Canon except The Camera Workshop their warranty is from their shop not from Canon also same 1 year.

I am abit worried about Parisilk though on their products.

Ok bro cheapest would be from Parisilk holland V at $1578 all the warranty they offer is 1 year from Canon except The Camera Workshop their warranty is from their shop not from Canon also same 1 year.

There shouldn't be much of a concern to deal with Parisilk. ;)

Price's good and friendly staffs.

but pricing i think simlim would be better if u are good at bargain..

Not from my experience... and I am not bad at bargaining. Different shops operate differently. Some you need to call, and some you need to get equotes to get the best prices. Bargaining at Sim Lim will not get you the best deal.

what u so worried abt...???

PPL have gotten big tickets items from them, eg 1Dmark4, D3s, and whats not... Not complain yet...

Why would anyone buy a parallel imported 17-55 at $1522? You only save a bit and you forgo CSC warranty. Makes absolutely no sense.

Parisilk is one of the most reputable shops for electrical appliances for decades, cameras included. Always very good price. No underhand tactics or whatsoever, price is fixed no matter who ask. All products from local distributors with valid warranty.

I vote for SLR revolution now move to 4th floor(Can look for a staff name Willy). Previously i use to go to John for gd customer service but after some time i left.
Reasons:
1.Price
2.Superficial treatment by some staffs not all(imho)
3.Heard a rather interesting conversation between the sales ppl there to a lady which seems lots of dishonesty in there. Shall not elaborate but giv an example: If your future buyer does not wish to buy this lens(lens has flaws as i have taken the lens and seen it for myself and they did try to ask me to take over the lens which belongs to the lady) becos of XXXXX, dun worry you go agent service the lens den bring him/her here and we help to "speak" to that future buyer to convince him/her to buy your lens. -_-"
4.I do not feel comfortable after such an incident and decided to purchase my stuff from other shops till now.

Parisilk is one of the most reputable shops for electrical appliances for decades, cameras included. Always very good price. No underhand tactics or whatsoever, price is fixed no matter who ask. All products from local distributors with valid warranty.

This statement not true "Always very good price". The NIKON prime lens they quoted very much expensive than MSColor :nono:

This statement not true "Always very good price". The NIKON prime lens they quoted very much expensive than MSColor :nono:

I'm not sure about Nikon, for my camera, lens and even home electrical appliances, their price is always one of the lowest.

3.Heard a rather interesting conversation between the sales ppl there to a lady which seems lots of dishonesty in there. Shall not elaborate but giv an example: If your future buyer does not wish to buy this lens(lens has flaws as i have taken the lens and seen it for myself and they did try to ask me to take over the lens which belongs to the lady) becos of XXXXX, dun worry you go agent service the lens den bring him/her here and we help to "speak" to that future buyer to convince him/her to buy your lens. -_-"
4.I do not feel comfortable after such an incident and decided to purchase my stuff from other shops till now.

To the lady , that was good customer service :thumbsup:
However to the next unsuspecting buyer, woes to him.

Morsels of the story: beware of smiling salesmen

To the lady , that was good customer service :thumbsup:
However to the next unsuspecting buyer, woes to him.

Morsels of the story: beware of smiling salesmen

... Especially the smiling samster. Ha!

Just want to share an interesting encounter, maybe I am not sure what is the proper etiquette for entering a Camera place these days. I walked into Chiif Camera a few days ago, said hi to the owner and stood here hoping to get his attention. He sat poking at his calculator and there was one other customer standing at the counter. I waited, thinking that there was a transaction but nothing seemed to be happening. I decided that I was probably not welcome or it was just not a good day of the week/month.

I should probably try again, wearing something smarter like a shirt and pants or something. I do not blame shop owners for this kind of treatment, I get that a lot wearing t-shirt and bermudas. It is just life isn't it?

Anybody have similar encounters?

Just want to share an interesting encounter, maybe I am not sure what is the proper etiquette for entering a Camera place these days. I walked into Chiif Camera a few days ago, said hi to the owner and stood here hoping to get his attention. He sat poking at his calculator and there was one other customer standing at the counter. I waited, thinking that there was a transaction but nothing seemed to be happening. I decided that I was probably not welcome or it was just not a good day of the week/month.

I should probably try again, wearing something smarter like a shirt and pants or something. I do not blame shop owners for this kind of treatment, I get that a lot wearing t-shirt and bermudas. It is just life isn't it?

maybe he thought u were part of his wall decoration?
seriously next time before u step in, give him a call on his mobile to see if he is free to entertain before you make the trip down.

maybe he thought u were part of his wall decoration?
seriously next time before u step in, give him a call on his mobile to see if he is free to entertain before you make the trip down.

Wall decoration? Maybe he thought I was a very big fly, I was wearing black after all. Now that's a thought.

There's obviously such a long queue for Voigtlander lens, one less customer doesn't make a difference.:)

If you already know what you want to get, why dont buy from Joseph Yao joseph@yao.com of Hong Kong

at least you dont have to depend on the face of the salemen.

Wall decoration? Maybe he thought I was a very big fly, I was wearing black after all. Now that's a thought.

There's obviously such a long queue for Voigtlander lens, one less customer doesn't make a difference.:)

Yeah there must be something abt camera salesman and their calculators. Last week i drop by TK Foto and asked this available salesman who was also tapping at his calculator. I asked if he has any tripods that are below 1kg. He said no way, where go so light. I said I saw one Benro model which is 0.9kg with basic ballhead. He said that must be a lousy and flimsy one. I said but its quite expensive at ard $500.... He said "huh? $500? thats considered very cheap u know! its definitely not stable" ... and before i can ask him for some recommendations, he just looked down at his beloved calculator again.

Err.... ok so i learnt 2 things.... $500 a tripod is CHEAPO and the love affairs between salesmen and their calculators.

I am sorry that I have caused you an unpleasant experience in my shop. I could have been engrossed in some other things and did not notice your gesture.

I couldn't have discriminate anyone in anyway. I do my best to treat every individual equal irregardless of what they dress in.

Please accept my apologise and if you do need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me, I can be reached over here .