Which Nikkor Lenses are you buying in 2006?

Which Nikkor Lenses are you buying in 2006?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment, I have more Nikon lenses than I really need. Unless something gets lost, damaged, or stolen, I probably will not purchase another lens for two or three years.

it's a tough choice between the 17-35 and the 17-55, but i think that i'll go for the 17-55 for the better range on the digital SLRs... the 17-35 would have to wait for when the FF DSLRs come out... :hung:

also tempted by the 18-200 for general-purpose-walk-about lense... but that one must see how big is P/L statement after CNY, NS bonus, ERS, NSS, bonus, etc... :bsmilie:

Just got the 18-200mm VR recently.

Very very good lense and also very convenient. Sharpness, it is great, good lense for ladies who does not want to build their biceps and also convenient for the guys who wants to shoot freely.

Cactus jACK said:
it's a tough choice between the 17-35 and the 17-55, but i think that i'll go for the 17-55 for the better range on the digital SLRs... the 17-35 would have to wait for when the FF DSLRs come out... :hung:

also tempted by the 18-200 for general-purpose-walk-about lense... but that one must see how big is P/L statement after CNY, NS bonus, ERS, NSS, bonus, etc... :bsmilie:
why dont you get the 17-35 and have the 50/1.4 to cover the range?
you will be spending alot if were to buy 17-55 then sell and buy the 17-35 when the FF rolls out

Thinking of 200/2 VR and 200-400/4 VR. hehe:D thinking only lah:cry:

alechim said:
why dont you get the 17-35 and have the 50/1.4 to cover the range?
you will be spending alot if were to buy 17-55 then sell and buy the 17-35 when the FF rolls out
you know something that i don't know about when the FFs are rolling out? i'm just hoping that it's later rather than sooner... if the Canon 5D is any indication of the price of a FF Nikon digital body, i think no $$ to buy a FF body either at this point!!

:hung:

but something for me to think about... thanks for the suggestion ;)

If kana TOTO 1st price. Than all Nikkor lenses will be mine! Hahahahahaha........:bsmilie: :what: :sweat: Who wake me up!:angry:

Cactus jACK said:
you know something that i don't know about when the FFs are rolling out? i'm just hoping that it's later rather than sooner...

Well, if you read the latest news from PMA newsline, it won't be any time soon...

See here... http://www.photomarketing.com/dailynews/nl_weekly.asp

Nikon denies possibility of making 35mm full-size image sensor
Picture

Industry watchers have been discussing if Nikon Corp., Tokyo, Japan, will come out with a 35mm full-size image sensor in pro-oriented digital SLR. A Nikon top official denied the possibility of making new full-size sensors, Photo Trade Express reports.

"35mm is a film format, which I do not think is necessary in the digital era," says Makoto Kimura of Nikon. "We have been exploring the possibility of commercializing a 35mm full-size sensor, but it's not clear at this moment if we go for it. We feel that the 'DX' format or APS-C size will be the best for the DSLR and interchangeable lenses. Based on the assumption Nikon has been bringing up in number the lenses for the DX format, change in the size of the sensor would possibly puzzle some users in finding effective focal length related to angle of view," he says.
He repeats that Nikon thinks the DX format will be the best for the DSLR, adding CMOS sensor "LBCAST" is also in preparation, reports Photo Trade Express.

With that in mind, we should see more lenses in the DX format, especially, so far, we have not seen any high end lenses in the tele-zoom range, like a 70-200 or a 100-400. In DX format, we would be able to see significant reduction in size, weight and cost too.

At the same time, we should be able to see up-to-date lens design formula like the use of more aspherical and ED elements, genuine IF design and of course AF-S. IF design is especially attractive in that AF would be very fast becos only the small and light internal elements would move during AF.

Cactus jACK said:

Bro, buy 4D 1755 this weekend and you can buy 17-55mm F2.8 next week liao. :devil:

Buying?? No more.. Just bought a 85mm f/1.8 AFD. :D

Begining of the year already spent this FY's budget. :bsmilie:

Good buy, best buy, must buy!!!
Buy, Buy, and Buy :devil:

Haah... Ask for more budget, later my wife lock up my dry-cabi, then I got nothing to shoot with... Perhaps should ask for more budget at year end. ;) Hopefully, Friday got kena TOTO, then 17-35mm, here I come... ;p 70-200mm come to me...:devil:

hongjone said:
Haah... Ask for more budget, later my wife lock up my dry-cabi, then I got nothing to shoot with... Perhaps should ask for more budget at year end. ;) Hopefully, Friday got kena TOTO, then 17-35mm, here I come... ;p 70-200mm come to me...:devil:
Year end is coming soon right? 31 Mar 2006? :p

lsisaxon said:
Year end is coming soon right? 31 Mar 2006? :p

u mean perfomance bonus? nah... dats due in our apr pay... unfortunately. :embrass:

jokes aside, too bad KT din include manual lenses, cos i'm saving for a 105mm/f2.8 AIS or the 105mm/f2.8 Micro-Nikkor. both are ancient lenses, i'm afraid... :sweat:

why don't have 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 & 60mm f/2.8 macro :angry:

nightwolf75 said:
u mean perfomance bonus? nah... dats due in our apr pay... unfortunately. :embrass:

jokes aside, too bad KT din include manual lenses, cos i'm saving for a 105mm/f2.8 AIS or the 105mm/f2.8 Micro-Nikkor. both are ancient lenses, i'm afraid... :sweat:
No lah.. that's the end of FY05/06.

Why would you want the manual 105/2.8 and 105/2.8 Micro? Get the AF105/2.8 Micro and the AF-DC 105/2 instead. The new lenses are technologically better and the aberration control is better. Those ancient lenses, apart from keepsake, can never compete with modern optics.

My first AF lens was the 60/2.8 Micro. I didn't have any AF body then. Was using it with FM2 and F3 and I think it's superb. It still is!

lsisaxon said:
Why would you want the manual 105/2.8 and 105/2.8 Micro? Get the AF105/2.8 Micro and the AF-DC 105/2 instead. The new lenses are technologically better and the aberration control is better. Those ancient lenses, apart from keepsake, can never compete with modern optics.

My first AF lens was the 60/2.8 Micro. I didn't have any AF body then. Was using it with FM2 and F3 and I think it's superb. It still is!

eh.... not all. there are some real gems of ancient manual lenses out there that still beat the pants off the modern AF equivalent. ;)

call me old fashion lah... i prefer to manual-focus when the macro bug bites me in the rear. so, i figured using manual lenses are more suitable for me. anyway, IMO, manual lenses are built to last cos of their all-metal bodies and lack of electronics. :)

nightwolf75 said:
eh.... not all. there are some real gems of ancient manual lenses out there that still beat the pants off the modern AF equivalent. ;)

call me old fashion lah... i prefer to manual-focus when the macro bug bites me in the rear. so, i figured using manual lenses are more suitable for me. anyway, IMO, manual lenses are built to last cos of their all-metal bodies and lack of electronics. :)
Ok. That make sense. :) I think one good example would be the 180/2.8ED. I think the MF version is better than the AF one.

I bought the AF60/2.8 and AF105/2.8 is because they give me 1:1 without the need for ext tubes. Most of the time, I manually focus with them because it is faster.

Of course there are some exotic lenses which are not available in the AF version like 35/1.4, Noct 58/1.2, 50/1.2 etc. When it comes to use, I don't think I will use them often but they are definitely worth collecting.

I don't have the Noct but I feel that modern lenses nowadays, even zooms, with aspherical elements, has coma corrected pretty well also and they don't flare like the lenses in the old days, so there wasn't really a need to have the Noct anymore. Still, I would like to own one if i have the $$. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.