Which flash should I get?

Ednet

Nov 30, 2010
Hey guys,
My part-time freelance photography has really taken off these few months and I'm really in need to get myself my own proper flash.
Budget may be of an issue, definitely third party for this case.

Any suggestions?

I'm using a Canon 60D.

Does anyone has bad experiences or good experiences with flashes? Any that I can reference :p

Thanks for reading this guys!

Hey guys,
My part-time freelance photography has really taken off these few months and I'm really in need to get myself my own proper flash.
Budget may be of an issue, definitely third party for this case.

Any suggestions?

I'm using a Canon 60D.

Does anyone has bad experiences or good experiences with flashes? Any that I can reference :p

Thanks for reading this guys!

YONG NUO

if really tight budget, go for yong nuo. if you need something more powerful, you can look at nissin series. one of my fren oso reco this brand i cannot rem clearly, start with M

if really tight budget, go for yong nuo. if you need something more powerful, you can look at nissin series. one of my fren oso reco this brand i cannot rem clearly, start with M

Seems like YongNuo is the brand I should be looking for. :) Is there a difference in power? How bout the Speedlite series comparing with Nissin ones?
Is there a major difference in the kind of images I should be expecting?

Since you are getting paid for your work. My recommendations is go for Canon 580EX II. Once you get it, you will not think of upgrading.

If your doing free-lancing and earning money, why not spend more and get the 580EX II instead?

buy YN560 cheap .. learn how to use manually .. then when u hv enuff then buy 580exii use YN560 as slave .. :)

why not look at canon speedlite instead? as budget as you might be, you can look at 430EXII mah... if you got more $$ then you can look for 580EXII~!!

1. Canon 580EXII - +pt : if you shoot more event ..set to ETTL, mount on your 60D and shoot shoot shoot.. - pt : is ex in price..(cheapest local set around $599 , got mine from HK $500+)

2. Nissin Di866 MKII - +pt : ETTL work well with EOS series, higher GN 60, very useful sub. flash, can control remotely by your 60D like the 580EXII... - pt : don't use it for off cam strobe..it take 5+ sec to recharge when use it full power.. unless use it with Godox battery pack.. (around $370)

3. Yongnuo YN565EX - +pt : can trigger by your 60D off cam just like the 580EXII and Nissin DI866 MKII, same GN 58 as 580, - pt : can't think of any maybe other Cser can help .. (around $220)

4. Yongnuo YN560 - +pt : very cheap n powerful GN58, fast recharge, build to last ( drop several times .. FLY with my softbox and landed 10 ft away, shoot in rain ..and my 2 YN560 still work till now 1 yr + ), - pt : manual flash ( very cheap if you get from CS MO $88)

I would recommend Nissin DI866MKII if you want to save $200 and all the function you can get on Canon 580EXII + the sub flash. Hope this help..:)

3. Yongnuo YN565EX - +pt : can trigger by your 60D off cam just like the 580EXII and Nissin DI866 MKII, same GN 58 as 580, - pt : can't think of any maybe other Cser can help .. (around $220)

Can't do HSS & color temp is cooler than 580EX2 (need to correct with filter or PP)

Since you are getting paid for your work. My recommendations is go for Canon 580EX II. Once you get it, you will not think of upgrading.

If your doing free-lancing and earning money, why not spend more and get the 580EX II instead?

buy YN560 cheap .. learn how to use manually .. then when u hv enuff then buy 580exii use YN560 as slave .. :)

why not look at canon speedlite instead? as budget as you might be, you can look at 430EXII mah... if you got more $$ then you can look for 580EXII~!!

Can't do HSS & color temp is cooler than 580EX2 (need to correct with filter or PP)

580EXII!! MUST TRY AH!! Is it the top of the line for Canon?

1. Canon 580EXII - +pt : if you shoot more event ..set to ETTL, mount on your 60D and shoot shoot shoot.. - pt : is ex in price..(cheapest local set around $599 , got mine from HK $500+)

2. Nissin Di866 MKII - +pt : ETTL work well with EOS series, higher GN 60, very useful sub. flash, can control remotely by your 60D like the 580EXII... - pt : don't use it for off cam strobe..it take 5+ sec to recharge when use it full power.. unless use it with Godox battery pack.. (around $370)

4. Yongnuo YN560 - +pt : very cheap n powerful GN58, fast recharge, build to last ( drop several times .. FLY with my softbox and landed 10 ft away, shoot in rain ..and my 2 YN560 still work till now 1 yr + ), - pt : manual flash ( very cheap if you get from CS MO $88)

I would recommend Nissin DI866MKII if you want to save $200 and all the function you can get on Canon 580EXII + the sub flash. Hope this help..:)

Thanks bro! I'll really consider Nissin DI866MKii. Thanks for the short and sweet summary of the flashes that I should consider! :)

Metz?

Yes, its the top of the line flash from the Canon lineup.

YN 565EX doesn't have high speed sync.

Bought a YN 565EX & happy with it's quality & power so far. If you're not willing to spend top dollars for minimal improvement, it should be your choice.

Best is compare the specs and function of each model to see what u need what u no need. For me is not a must to get top of the range but rather one that meets my need and I get what I pay for.

Using 565ex a pity no high speed sync but other than that u feel it is worth the price I pay $185. Better than Nissin mk1 when I bought at $210 last time.

I find it hard to believe for a professional photographer to ask what does Canon offer in their speedlights. 430EXII is equally good if you do not need high power output and master feature on the 580.

I am unsure of you business model, but I'd just get the Canon 580EXII.

I don't recommend going budget as the shortcomings may get stark as you progress further in the business.