Which Entry Level DSLR for consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with an A200 or an A300. You get in-body anti-shake, and Sony manufactures the Nikon sensors. And the DRO is fun too. :)

If you have better budget, go for Canon (always new tech, new lens & new upgrade, $$$)

If budget constrain, go for Nikon, the mount will take all old/used lens (which limits technology progress, my opinion)

If you want new...d40 is has a very good value for money.canon 400d/450d also good choice
Used is also good:Get D80 if you want to start with a prosumer
You can stay with the kit lens until you are ready to move on.

you should try to stick with bigger brands with a wider range of lenses...eg. canon/nikon

Hi all newbies in photography too presently using those point and shoot digicam by nikon(P12)was thinking to get 1 DSLR to start a new hobby,know tat this is a expensive hobby but sure will have fun when a picture is well taken.And of cause want to take some pretty moment on my son grow up.

Now was thinking getting either a sony A200 if not D60 for new beginner like me can u guys here give me advice. i know for budget wise A200 is a gd start though i like nikon but price wise is abit steep for their add on like lense and flash.

Cheers
Noob :)

Get D80 if you want to start with a prosumer

D80=Prosumer? :bigeyes:

Jamesf said:
Re: Which Entry Level DSLR for consider?
If you have better budget, go for Canon (always new tech, new lens & new upgrade, $$$)

If budget constrain, go for Nikon, the mount will take all old/used lens (which limits technology progress, my opinion)

Take old lens=limit technology??? :think:Newer MS windows (and other softwares) always have backward compatibility, but i dun think that is a case that can influence technology....
the only thing that is limiting technology is unwillingness of the coy (like nikon) to release their new technology into the market, or rather they are slow... I dun think that using old mount in anyway limits technology :nono:
in fact backward compatibility is good... imagine u buy a new body, u gotta sell away all ur lens... a few years later, the cycle repeats itself...

If you want new...d40 is has a very good value for money.canon 400d/450d also good choice
Used is also good:Get D80 if you want to start with a prosumer

D80 is definitely 'NOT' a prosumer, it is comparable with 400D.

D300 is then a semi-pro

provided got ppl sell cheaply and he managed to get the deal fast.
otherwise forever waiting until dun need to shoot liao

Thx for all the suggestions.

Although I have not really go out and try on the cams but seems like my heart is telling me to get my hands on the D60.

So any D60 users here care to share your experiences? Appreciate it much much! :)

Thx for all the suggestions.

Although I have not really go out and try on the cams but seems like my heart is telling me to get my hands on the D60.

So any D60 users here care to share your experiences? Appreciate it much much! :)

if you dont mind just having 3 af points and a smaller range of lenses that can af with it.. D60 would be your choice..

if not 450D would be more suitable as it has a larger range of lenses that can af, larger viewfinder than its predesessor, live-view (if you'll ever need it), larger lcd screen, etc.

only D60 can fit my hands nicely.

Give the sony a200 or a350 a try, the ergonomically-oriented design approach and operating style, strong, swift focus and live view (a350) may suit your tastes.

There's an already large (and rapidly expanding) range of Sony and Minolta AF lenses out there, and prices are coming down.

In the process of taking over Minolta's camera business, Sony inherited the leica-like lush colour, smooth bokeh and appealing rendition of the G series of lenses from Minolta, and that goes in contrast with the high resolution, sharp and contrasty line of new CZ lenses sony's been unveiling in collaboration with Carl Zeiss lately, and all of the lenses are IS enabled due to the sensor shift stabalization.

With a new range of improved body designs available, a high resolution FF model at the end of this year and many more lenses to be released as well, things are going to be sweeter on the A mount side. :)

As what I would always say...

GO TO THE SHOPS and feel out the cameras. See which fits your hands better and which interface controls you prefer. This is the MAIN consideration which you should have first. They are all tools and will deliver the pictures when you learn how to utilise them the right way.

Hi there,

let me offer some of my personal opinion since you are looking at only new cameras.
Brand New:-
1) Canon EOS 400D Kit: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II: Price is around $1200++
Pros: as a kit set, you can start shooting and best, it comes with a CF card
Cons: Not as new as the 450D but good enough as a feature packed.
2) D60 Kit (18-55mm VR): price around $950
Pros: kit set start shooting with everything provided
Cons: Three Af Points

Please note that the above 2 are all great cameras. You most probably won't go wrong taking either. Just note that what u are buying is a system. end of the day, availability and shooting style will affect the lens you buy. Next, do consider 2nd hand from the BNS. some comes with warranty and is a steal.

seriously speaking, if you are going to get a d60, i rather you get a 2nd hand d80. just my thoughts. else, you should think about the canon 400D also. Dry boxes can wait since your lens would only be the kit in the initial time being.

can only speak from a nikon user's point of view. in between D40/60 v.s. 50 v.s. 80.

i would not recommend D40/60 simply becos we have no idea when nikon will replace their current AF-D lenses at the same pricing to an AF-S at the same or lighter weight. there are a couple of old AF lenses that are simply sharper and cheaper but are non-zoom (which works for certain situations). if they do (which is going to be some time later), then get these models without motor, when times come.

as for D50, it serves very much many purposes, good enough to learn the camera, at least for me. BUT... a bigger viewfinder from D80 will make a difference, at least for me.

as for D200 & D300, well, spend the bucks to cover some basic lenses first before looking at them again. not to say body is not important, since it affect all pictures while a lens (among many) only affect some pictures, but you might want to cover the important focal lengths first.

Status
Not open for further replies.