Where have the 50 1.4's gone?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BhLoAlCeK

Dec 14, 2008
guys, is it just me or have the 50mm 1.4D's gone extinct??

all the shop owners told me that they're phasing out the Ds for the Gs.. and that there will be no more stock arriving :(

oh and for those who wanna know, the 1.4 is really quite abit better than the 1.8.. the kind folks at J3:16 actually let me test out the AF-S version even.. kudos to them.

so my big question is, if you've recently bought one from somewhere or know where i can get one now, pls let me know! thanks!!

p.s. once i get the 1.4D, i'll be letting go of my 1.8D :)

the 1.4G is in stock at Johns? I'm gonna have to stop by

guys, is it just me or have the 50mm 1.4D's gone extinct??

all the shop owners told me that they're phasing out the Ds for the Gs.. and that there will be no more stock arriving :(

oh and for those who wanna know, the 1.4 is really quite abit better than the 1.8.. the kind folks at J3:16 actually let me test out the AF-S version even.. kudos to them.

so my big question is, if you've recently bought one from somewhere or know where i can get one now, pls let me know! thanks!!

p.s. once i get the 1.4D, i'll be letting go of my 1.8D :)

Try B&S in CS.

BhLoAlCeK

Got mine from harvey norman raffles city. press for a "special price", it will happen..! look for the blondie short hair guy.

sm

Hiyo. What's the best price that has been known to be do-able for the AFS 50/1.4 (G), whether at Harvey Norman or anywhere else ?

from what i know, its about 470 or so, but it's closer to 500 now cos the jap yen has gone up.

and oh, the B&S section doesnt really have. even the 1.8D is going like hotcakes there.. :S

Other photography forums have also mentioned that there is a shortage of lenses worldwide.

Conspiracy theorists believe that because of Nikon's worldwide price increase on 1st Feb 2009, the retailers are holding back their stock until the price increase becomes official.

Practical theorists believe that it is because the demand for Nikkor lenses is much greater than the production capability of the Nikon lens factories.

I got my 50 f/1.4d from Alan Photo in Sim Lim Square.

They've got their contacts and can help you to order brand new Nikkors which are hard to get or even out of production ones.

For this reason, I find that their customer service is slightly better than other shops which simply give you the "no stock" or "no longer in production" end of story routine.

Got one from MS Color before CNY. Paid $450 for it.

Got one from MS Color before CNY. Paid $450 for it.

Same here, bought 1 same time frame same shop. Maybe you could try your luck there.

Just remembered, while I was hunting for this lens. Came across a shop in Peninsula shopping Ctr, ground floor that have new Grey set for about $435. This was my back up if I had not found it at MS. The price the 2nd hand ones w/o warranty are commanding makes a grey set worth considering as it at least have 1 yr in-shop warranty.

ok should give MS colour a try then... die la.. :(
MS colour is in amk rite?

eeks i lost the link to the shop names. where is the thread? :)

okay guys thanks for the help. i'll try to find it today :)

I bought mine in HK.. much cheaper, abt SGD370 after conversion.. very happy with the lens, cheap and good! :D

I bought mine in HK.. much cheaper, abt SGD370 after conversion.. very happy with the lens, cheap and good! :D

WOW! That's a really good price.

Which shop do you personally recommend?

I think it is time for me to take a short holiday there. :)

The savings from lens purchases should be enough to cover my airfare if I make a large purchase.

I actually purchased from this small shop in TST (Echo Photo & Audio), very friendly service staff and good pricing, they are opposite from HMV in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, if you are familiar with the place. They opened early and closes early too..

I was scouting around for this lens too yesterday but unfortunately, there seems to be a lack of stock.

50mm - 1.4D and 1.4G are available when I last drop by CP Marina Square :p

You can try TCW at Peninsular shopping ctr.. i've just got mine from there (1.4D) and still plenty in stock .

Status
Not open for further replies.