Where can I get music (contemporary) CDs at good prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
okie the price at Chinatown Smith Street Market,
(Fook Leong?)

$15.90 :dent: & comes with a free packet of tissue :D

Bought Corrine May's album from Foo Leong also....it is a nice album to listen at night...her voice is very soothing and pleasant. Should support Singaporean artistes!!

wah...
Fook Leong still there ah?
remembered I went there to get my CDs a very long time ago..
And their speciality was a free packet of tissue paper!! lol... :bsmilie:

Really that nice ah?
Does she have that silky voice like norah jones?
IMO, I kinda like norah jones's don't know why and feelin' in the same way.......

Norah jones's Come away with me and don't know why are excellent.... :)

And fook leung is well known for cheap cds..plus amicable services... can ask him to get cds for you if you can't find there.. :)

Thanks, AG. Corrine MAy sounds nice... not very much like local singers. :thumbsup: for her... :)

Originally posted by zapline
Norah jones's Come away with me and don't know why are excellent.... :)

And fook leung is well known for cheap cds..plus amicable services... can ask him to get cds for you if you can't find there.. :)

Thanks, AG. Corrine MAy sounds nice... not very much like local singers. :thumbsup: for her... :)

I haven't listened to "Come Away With Me" before...
Maybe it's high time that I got the CD!

And maybe the Corrine May CD as well... :)

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Fyi, I got the CD at Fook Leong @ S$15.90! Thank goodness that I tahaned and held off my purchase yesterday! HMV's selling it @ S$27! :what:
For pop stuff, it's really not worth getting from HMV, because Fook Leong would have it and much much cheaper. For Jazz, Classical, New Age, etc. can try Sembawang or Music Junction.

I think Music Junction don't have much classical, jazz and audiophile CDs... Music Warehouse is one of my favourites... HMV does have a lot of harder to get Dance/classical/jazz music and their discounted Cds are sometimes worth buying... I have never bought a single pirated CD and don't intent to.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Fyi, I got the CD at Fook Leong @ S$15.90! Thank goodness that I tahaned and held off my purchase yesterday! HMV's selling it @ S$27! :what:

AG... most importantly, did they give you the all important packet of tissue? ;) :bsmilie: :D

Originally posted by Gunjack
I think Music Junction don't have much classical, jazz and audiophile CDs... Music Warehouse is one of my favourites... HMV does have a lot of harder to get Dance/classical/jazz music and their discounted Cds are sometimes worth buying... I have never bought a single pirated CD and don't intent to.

I never buy pirated music CDs. They simply suck too much, and they don't really have classical/audiophile stuff anyway. ;p

HMV has continually been downsizing their classical/jazz. I can't believe they devoted the entire ex-Jazz room to (of all things) crappy Dance Music (sorry dance fans, that's my personal opinion ;p ) and then combined Jazz, Evergreens and Classical into one room. All of a sudden, these selections diminished. I used to visit HMV like once a month until this "revamp".

Now I go Music Warehouse when I shop for such CDs. :)

BTW, anyone knows where to get DVD-Audio discs? (Not "music on DVD-Video Discs", aka DAD)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

I never buy pirated music CDs. They simply suck too much, and they don't really have classical/audiophile stuff anyway. ;p

HMV has continually been downsizing their classical/jazz. I can't believe they devoted the entire ex-Jazz room to (of all things) crappy Dance Music (sorry dance fans, that's my personal opinion ;p ) and then combined Jazz, Evergreens and Classical into one room. All of a sudden, these selections diminished. I used to visit HMV like once a month until this "revamp".

Now I go Music Warehouse when I shop for such CDs. :)

BTW, anyone knows where to get DVD-Audio discs? (Not "music on DVD-Video Discs", aka DAD)

Regards
CK

Yups! The purpose of me getting the original is that you can keep it and it will get better with better hifi equipment, provided they mastered the recording decently. You can check out Great World City, a music store there seems to have lotsa jazz and classical and more "audiophile" orientated music.
I haven't kept in touch with the hifi scene for some time, but I guess the hifi shops in Adelphi should have those DVD-Audio for sale... Can try Dada records in Funan and music warehouse while u are around there? Saw a few at IMM in one of the VCD shops too, but choices were too limited. Just curious, who do u listen to? Wah... Now that u reminded me, HMV did use to have a seperate Jazz and classical section, they were using those marvelous (spendor/rogers?) speakers then for the respective rooms...

I think DVD Audio discs are still not that mainstream in SG..
(The last time I visited Aldephi was way back, so apologies...)

If I'm not wrong, Kingsley @ 4th level may stock some DVD Audio discs... They stock SACDs too, so they may stock DVD-A discs as well.

But they come @ a price - the last time I checked, a SACD costs like $50+? :eeks: So i reckon that a DVD-A may cost that much as well....

If SG don't have, you may want to try ordering overseas.

Just to ask, does any one have eany personal preferences to a particular recording label?

IMO, XLR recordings and Chesky records are not bad....
But seriously, is the extra $$ paid on those "exotic discs" worth it? I've never really sat down to hear one of those, so I'm not sure...

If you have the equipment to reveal a wonderful recording, and if you like the particular album very much, take the plunge and get the audiophile version, it is definitely worth it... Faye Wong's "Tian Kong" album in XRCD sounds incredible. The only Chesky album I like in my limited listening exposure with that recording company is by Rebecca Pidgeon, the Raven... Dick Hyman(Hahaha!) plays Duke Ellington on HDCD(Reference Recording) also sounds superb and entertaining... In fact, I think Reference Recording is my favourite "normal price" audiophile CD recording company. Verve churns out lotsa "vinyl" sounding jazzy good stuff too... I also like the only RCA "Living Stereo" recording I have. Sounds top notch.

You may think I am mad, but I also think most of the harder hitting bands/dance acts like Metallica/Pantera/Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Prodigy/those underground and drum and bass dance music have superb recordings and great music too... I do use them to test it along with the usual audiophile reference CDs when I or my friends went to buy a new system. My belief is that a system should sound good in simple, complex music, acoustic and electric instruments, since that is what we usually listen to. I have heard some high end music system simply stutter and fall playing those harder hitting electronic music even though they sound great with simple acoustics.

Originally posted by Gunjack

Yups! The purpose of me getting the original is that you can keep it and it will get better with better hifi equipment, provided they mastered the recording decently. You can check out Great World City, a music store there seems to have lotsa jazz and classical and more "audiophile" orientated music.
I haven't kept in touch with the hifi scene for some time, but I guess the hifi shops in Adelphi should have those DVD-Audio for sale... Can try Dada records in Funan and music warehouse while u are around there? Saw a few at IMM in one of the VCD shops too, but choices were too limited. Just curious, who do u listen to? Wah... Now that u reminded me, HMV did use to have a seperate Jazz and classical section, they were using those marvelous (spendor/rogers?) speakers then for the respective rooms...

HMV Classical Room uses Spendour, and the Jazz Room uses B&W. Both are driven by Denon electronics. The classical room one sounds lovely. ;)

I have not kept track of the hifi scene for a long time already, other than going to the annual hifi show. The Great Word City one is "That CD" or something, and they do have a nice selection, and good listening stations. Something which is rare nowadays. The last shop which had those that I know of is the now-dead Hifi Corner.

I listen to mostly classical, usually prefer Reference Recordings, Chesky, Decca, Deutsche Grammaphone, Phillips, etc. EMI is sometimes a little harsh. The RR HDCD ones are very good. :) Living Stereo is good, but hard to find.

I've since grown out of the "must get audiophile version" mentality, heh, so as long as the recording and performance is good, I am happy.

Now it's time to move on to DVD-Audio, especially when I will soon be able to play it on a PC with an Audigy 2. :D

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.