When will Nikon introduce an entry level FX

gears and equipment are the main elements of photography, without which, there is no photography.

so, to chit chat and talk about gears and equipment is definitely valid and part of the grand picture. kekekekeke
you remind me of those old uncles sitting at coffee shops lim kopi after outing, talking about Leica, Rollei, Alpa, Hasselblad.....

shooting 30mins, talking 5 hours.

you remind me of those old uncles sitting at coffee shops lim kopi after outing, talking about Leica, Rollei, Alpa, Hasselblad.....

basket, now i really feel so old liao!

love to talk about gears and equipment!! :bsmilie: old liao. cannot walk long so mux sit down for longer hours to chit chat about the latest gears and equipment.

gearhead! :cool:

but i talk about FX and non-FX, tripod lovers and people with strong arms. :embrass:

its going o.t liao. D600 is Nikon's current 'entry-level' FX camera. Back then when Nikon announced D70, the 'entry-level' for DX and DSLR, the specs too were better than Canon's 300D. oh, it was so long ago....

Last edited:
nowadays still the same, only change to Sony Nikon Canon Pentax,

everyday hang around in Kopitiam, newbies corner, equipment discussion all day long,

than weekend go out for outing, one hour shooting, one hour eating, two hours talking and molesting each other cameras.

nowadays still the same, only change to Sony Nikon Canon Pentax,

everyday hang around in Kopitiam, newbies corner, equipment discussion all day long,

than weekend go out for outing, one hour shooting, one hour eating, two hours talking and molesting each other cameras.

yup, i've probably 'upgraded' to a gearhead now. :bsmilie:

still, it is fascinating to talk about the latest camera tech, the latest software and of course, molest the latest toys. :bsmilie:

still, it is fascinating to talk about the latest camera tech, the latest software and of course, molest the latest toys. :bsmilie:
yes I agree,

talking about gears and etc can be more fascinating than photography itself,

don't forget what we taking up photography for, initially.

moderation, moderation is the keywords..

yes I agree,

talking about gears and etc can be more fascinating than photography itself,

don't forget what we taking up photography for, initially.

moderation, moderation is the keywords..

:cool: it is just that we are all in an exciting phase of photography and the possibilities are endless.

can't hardly wait for the next big announcement! :)

cheers! :cheers:

One can spend time taking photos, polish his skills, talking about cameras, doing photoshop. They are not mutually exclusive.

photographers spending too much time thinking and talking about cameras, don't you think is a little strange?

do you ever see carpenters sitting at the coffee shop debating which is a better hammer, or best to use saw with how many saw teeth per inch?

but that is actually the
manufactures want you people to think and to do, putting the tools before the craft, they are making the product circle shorter and shorter, so they able to sell more products and faster.

Last edited:
Actually I product that the dx sensors will still be around as the middle ground

Fx - crazy photography fans

Dx - starting to like photography

Cx - maybe become standard for p&s cameras

It all depends on how cheaply the sensors can be manufactured

catchlights said:
do you need somebody to look over your shoulders for whatever things you do in your life?

That's a luxury we all lack :(

thanks but not sure what u are trying to articulate by suggesting that manufacturing cost is more than $300/400/500 used in the analogy :)

as for the digital MF, we need to shift our perspective a little away from dslr. compared to the offerings by hasselblad, phaseone, etc, the 645D @ S$12k + can be regarded as "entry level", imho.

That's just what it is, with Canon breathing down Nikon's neck, pricing has to be done carefully (unlike Leica that is playing in a stage of 1, can charge anything they like). Note how the price of the new Canon FF camera lowered to match Nikon D600. The price of manufacturing plus shipping plus marketing plus your friendly salesman's salary/commission/kopi is higher than what TS and others demand of FX price. There was one estimate that the FX sensor costs ~US$500 per piece - not sure how true this is; and he further said that the DX sensor is one tenth of that price. Probably taking into account yield of the wafer as well.

Hey someone complained entry level FX > $1k or not < $2k, why can't I complain about MF entry level to be $12k? Gotta be fair, right? I like entry levels, give me a BMW at $85k I will buy it. Dream on.

in the near future, DX will be incorporated into FX cameras. oops, it has already being done. :cool:

Nikon will no longer make DX cameras and the basic DX models like D3200 of today will be the basic models of FX in the near future.

DX is but a temporary solution as the technology was still new and not that widely affordable around 1 decade ago.

just my POV. :bsmilie:

Ortega is right, there will be DX. It surely started life as the bridge-the-gap format, but certainly will stay on as the next-to-serious format of choice.

you're the main instigator! kekekekeke

anyway, nice to see that you've strong arms and enjoy carrying extra load besides your cameras and lenses. :bsmilie:

He has deep pockets, I might add. D800 then D600 as backup. No issue with entry level pricing with Rain RW.

Me, I might have to sleep in the living room if I try that... the Home Affairs Minister will see to it.

still, it is fascinating to talk about the latest camera tech, the latest software and of course, molest the latest toys.

Gearhead... most of us.

Last edited:
Don't think the sensor cost USD 500 a piece to manufacture... I have heard of how much each D700 cost to manufacture... but i cannot openly discuss about it, since I am not 100% sure of its authenticity.

But all I can say is, 1.5k for entry level FX is not that possible...

@diediealsomustdive: thanks. I get your point now :)

hope for nikon can be done like apple refurbish set on FX body..
so the price would be when down a bit.

Don't think the sensor cost USD 500 a piece to manufacture... I have heard of how much each D700 cost to manufacture... but i cannot openly discuss about it, since I am not 100% sure of its authenticity.

But all I can say is, 1.5k for entry level FX is not that possible...

Agreed.

@diediealsomustdive: thanks. I get your point now :)

Thank you. :) True gentleman :thumbsup:

Oh this is the bit, look for Canon 6D: "Here's the thing: the price rumors on the 6D were consistently around the US$2300-2400 mark right up until the D600 was announced at US$2100. Guess what the price of the 6D will be? Yep, US$2100. This isn't the first time this has happened. Back in the D100 days there was a near simultaneously Photokina launch where once one vendor saw the other's price, prices changed. "

Last edited:

haha.. reminded me of those uncles sitting at the coffee shop at the Excelsior Shopping Centre and at the MacDonald's at Funan..

avsquare said:
haha.. reminded me of those uncles sitting at the coffee shop at the Excelsior Shopping Centre and at the MacDonald's at Funan..

I just saw a few yesterday. Was walking about while waiting for wife. Pass by the coffeeshop opposite P&G, saw a few different groups and suddenly this post came to mind. Haha.

I just saw a few yesterday. Was walking about while waiting for wife. Pass by the coffeeshop opposite P&G, saw a few different groups and suddenly this post came to mind. Haha.

There's always there.. and they have a liking for Leica apparently.