When Newbies Ask For Help in NEWBIES CORNER ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm. I still consider myself a newbie here and to be honest I just feel sometimes we lose the plot here.

This is a great forum for amatuers , pros , hobbyist photographers and what you guys done here is nothing short of amazing.

But at times just feel the amount of criticism and sarcasm levelled at the newbies are really uncalled for.

Yes I can feel the frustration. From the non appearance to the spoon feeding to the dumb questions can be un nerving but surely ignoring or a gentle nudge will be a better option.

I love this place and have found great advice, help and stunning works of art here and long may it continue.

Should allow the newcomers to post questions without fear of being ridiculed or flamed.

If the topic started by the newcomer somehow hurt, injure or wound any other member, do take a backseat n not reply.

Otherwise, do feel free to assist the newcomer by directing him/her to the necessary resources, maybe even offering advices n guidances.

Noticed tat there seems to be lesser posts in CS recently, except maybe for B/S.

When Newbies Ask For Help in NEWBIES CORNER......

just wondering, what if all the newbies start the thread with the same/similar titles...."Help", "Please Help", "Help Needed"......... lol

I think the issue is not much about ignorant about photography, but sometime is due to lack of internet etiquette.

Hope everyone can be more tolerate and helpful towards newbies, not to scare them off. :)

.. lack of internet etiquette.

Thank you catchlights, you hit the spot.

I am not against "google it / search the forum " but I believe there are other more graceful ways of putting it across than to be obviously sarcastic and malignant.

Ryan

Really!!! , do you kick kids around your neighborhood ?

Are you gonna call your mum crying? Sorry. Grown ups chatting, kids please stand aside.

Here, this piece of tissue paper and go do something creative with it.

Go fish, leave the newbees alone, uncle.

I think the issue is not much about ignorant about photography, but sometime is due to lack of internet etiquette.

:bsmilie:

My suggestion is that when the newbie register as member and an e-mail automatically is send to them to welcome them.
The e-mail should provide all the useful links to the sticky and also inform them how to search before they ask question.

My suggestion is that when the newbie register as member and an e-mail automatically is send to them to welcome them.
The e-mail should provide all the useful links to the sticky and also inform them how to search before they ask question.

Problem is, they never read. Just anyhow post.

This is like the software agreement that comes with most installation programs (at the start)... Probably more than 90% of people will just dismiss it even though you're asked to read. :bsmilie:

Do Either of the following when inside the Newbies Corner sub-forum :

1. DO offer genuine help, directions, opinions and links OR

2 DON'T REPLY if you feel :

a. the newbie deserves getting flamed for asking simple questions
a. the question has been asked once too many times before
b. its a waste of your time
c. its spoonfeeding
d. the Newbie is lazy about searching and/or Googling
e. that advise or help that you render allows you to flame the newbie
f. its a facepalm question
g. its a great excuse to attack newbies when they ask basic questions and the answer is SO OBVIOUS (to you)

Newbies reading this.... we are hoping to keep this area for new comers in the hobby to learn and ask questions without fear of getting banged, flamed and humiliated.

Still, Clubsnap expects CS'ers to be well behaved and civil when dealing with fellow members of the community throughout all its forums

Of course if a newbie behaves like a total arsee through no provocation .... do report that post

This thread will sit in Kopitiam until tomorrow night when it will be made a Sticky in Newbies Corner

Hey guys .... ..... happy or not happy about this 'safe haven nursery' policy ....feel free to discuss

I see hope for Clubsnap and Civilization . Thank you ed

...... i did the same search with the keywords they provided and i got the results for them from the top of the list........

Bingo !!!

I have several colleagues (certifiable blur newbies and probably reading this now) in the office just starting out on photography and they ALSO DO SEARCHES ..... their problem is WHICH RESOURCE and links TO TRUST on the Search Results list ..... even sites like Dpreview and Photo.net have so many opinions on any number of subjects

So i guess indirectly newbies might be trying to tell us yes they did the search and could not find results .... where they are actually saying "Hi I've searched and yes got results but dont know which link to trust ..... I only trust Clubsnappers"

or

"I know what the ang moh opinion is on this but whats LOCAL Asian opinion on this same matter given the different asian environment, landscapes, people, weather , laws etc etc etc"

You think only lazy newbie bums just decide to ask questions here? As if they need to buy a plane ticket to search in other Western forums lolzz ? Lazy and selfish usually goes hand in hand with vanity .... so the truly lazy will not sully their hands in a local forum but rather internationalize themselves joining more 'prestigious' forums overseas

So ask yourself...... why do newbies bother joining a local forum when with a quick flick of the mouse and keyboard they can get all they want .... and MORE ! ..... in forums 5-20 times larger than ours ?

Have respect for yourselves too as Asians ..... LOCAL opinions do count alot to many people new in the hobby ....

Yes ed, I like Asian too :)
But I tend to like to search using google, for e.g. "site:clubsnap.com rashkae" without the parentheses and tweak according to date, etc
A throwback from when the CS search feature was clunky, now much better though

So i guess indirectly newbies might be trying to tell us yes they did the search and could not find results .... where they are actually saying "Hi I've searched and yes got results but dont know which link to trust ..... I only trust Clubsnappers"

Kei was referring to a search on CS, not Google. Very often you see newbies say they searched on CS and "found no results". Then you try the same search and get a ton of resources.

In other words, they lied and just want spoonfeeding.

Rashkae said:
Kei was referring to a search on CS, not Google. Very often you see newbies say they searched on CS and "found no results". Then you try the same search and get a ton of resources.

In other words, they lied and just want spoonfeeding.

Yup I was referring to CS' in-house search tool. Most of the newbies who claim to have used it (and later when I show them the result) will go "how did I miss that" and then say thanks and end of story

lotus80 said:
Go fish, leave the newbees alone, uncle.

Uncle??? That's an insult!!! I'm only 21!!

And i'm pretty much certain i'm not an uncle yet!!

Just a suggestion, perhaps for members who have less than 100 post (newbies), before they can start a thread, they will be directly to a page of Sticky links where the standard newbies will ask.

such as
How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)
Do i need a drybox? Why? Where to buy? How to buy drybox?
FAQ: What DSLR camera to buy?
What lens/etc to buy AFTER my 1st DSLR?

Sometimes, some people are not familar to forum etiquette as they seldom participate in forums, so we should give them chances.

But some newbies are pure stubborn, kept asking despite giving them links and asking them politely to read, we shouldnt even entertain them at all.

Just a suggestion, perhaps for members who have less than 100 post (newbies), before they can start a thread, they will be directly to a page of Sticky links where the standard newbies will ask.

such as
How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)
Do i need a drybox? Why? Where to buy? How to buy drybox?
FAQ: What DSLR camera to buy?
What lens/etc to buy AFTER my 1st DSLR?

Sometimes, some people are not familar to forum etiquette as they seldom participate in forums, so we should give them chances.

But some newbies are pure stubborn, kept asking despite giving them links and asking them politely to read, we shouldnt even entertain them at all.

agreed. there are those from even 2006 with hundreds of posts yet don't know how to search or find a link on their own.

but 100 posts seems too high.

kei1309 said:
agreed. there are those from even 2006 with hundreds of posts yet don't know how to search or find a link on their own.

Not everybody born equal lah bro..thats why even in school there are streaming..some need more guidance than others..at the end of the day, if you feel like replying,please do help..if not, i am sure others will..

Kei , do not take this the hard way .. people may register a account in 2006 , all the while visiting the various photo gallery showcases only .

Or perhaps they have TCSS all these while in KPT , meaning they did not venture outside these forums ,people do have other activities in life other than visiting CS religiously 24-7 .

One fine day they decide to buy a camera to take picture of their new born , hence they would just be like blur newbies even though they were registered years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.