When Newbies Ask For Help in NEWBIES CORNER ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
Do Either of the following when inside the Newbies Corner sub-forum :

1. DO offer genuine help, directions, opinions and links OR

2 DON'T REPLY if you feel :

a. the newbie deserves getting flamed for asking simple questions
a. the question has been asked once too many times before
b. its a waste of your time
c. its spoonfeeding
d. the Newbie is lazy about searching and/or Googling
e. that advise or help that you render allows you to flame the newbie
f. its a facepalm question
g. its a great excuse to attack newbies when they ask basic questions and the answer is SO OBVIOUS (to you)

Newbies reading this.... we are hoping to keep this area for new comers in the hobby to learn and ask questions without fear of getting banged, flamed and humiliated.

Still, ClubSNAP expects CS'ers to be well behaved and civil when dealing with fellow members of the community throughout all its forums.

Of course if a newbie behaves like a total arsee through no provocation .... do report that post.

This thread will sit in Kopitiam until tomorrow night when it will be made a Sticky in Newbies Corner.

Hey guys .... ..... happy or not happy about this 'safe haven nursery' policy ....feel free to discuss.

Last edited:
I feel that it would be good to reinforce the "search before you post" rule as well. Otherwise:

1. The newbies corner will get flooded with repetitive threads, making it hard to find answers
2. The work put into the stickies will be all for waste
3. The "safe haven nursery" people will graduate to spamming all forum categories with the same questions because they were never reminded of the need to search first.

ha ha I know Rashkae ..... but sigh .... lets just hope they dont turn out to be permanently handicapped later

Last edited:
mod already say you can don't reply if newbie chose not to use the search function. Just let someone else reply or if no one replies and he/she start posting in other threads then you can open up the arty.

i mean a forum is setup to exchange ideas and info. even if use search function, in the 1st place silly threads must be opened 1st before it can be searched right?

like the mod say, its suppose to be a safe haven for asking stupid meaningless questions. And that's what makes the forum lively, technical terms heavy threads, downright stupid threads and best of all for ppl to post all sorts of pictures ranging from mandane to award wining photos.

anyway i'm a newbie. Cheers.

give newbie benefit of the doubt lah .... sometimes they dont even know how to phrase the question or situation properly and thus dont know how to even search or google properly ...

AND the STICKYs are highly useful and valuable for newbies ..... just look at the number of views if you think its seldom or rarely referred to

p/s Rashkae, look at your own sticky ..... barely 18 months later... its already picked up more than 13,000 views to date vs 6 replies ...... a roaring success if i ever saw one

Last edited:
mod already say you can don't reply if newbie chose not to use the search function. Just let someone else reply or if no one replies and he/she start posting in other threads then you can open up the arty.

i mean a forum is setup to exchange ideas and info. even if use search function, in the 1st place silly threads must be opened 1st before it can be searched right?

And when newbies who did search complain that they searched but could not find the info because the search results were clogged with useless results?

If the newbies corner is to be a "mollycuddle spoonfeed section" then the mods would need to be more involved in reminding newbies not to let the efforts of those who have already answered the threads go to waste, instead of only giving infractions and suspensions to people who tell them to search first.

who said ONLY giving infractions and suspensions ... how about a plain 'delete post' ? :)

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
And when newbies who did search complain that they searched but could not find the info because the search results were clogged with useless results?

If the newbies corner is to be a "mollycuddle spoonfeed section" then the mods would need to be more involved in reminding newbies not to let the efforts of those who have already answered the threads go to waste, instead of only giving infractions and suspensions to people who tell them to search first.

Ayia chilld la bro. If newbie ask qn that has already been answered then direct him to the correct thread and remind him to search properly first lor. If keep abusing the forum then infraction lor xD sometimes newbies really Dk how t search mah so must guide guide abit xD

9V-Orion Images said:
I think Rashkee should be nominated as a moderator there so the other moderators can nua one side and shake their leg. :bsmilie:

Rashkae? Moderator? Haha. Will scold da newbies till THEIR legs nua hahaha

Ayia chilld la bro. If newbie ask qn that has already been answered then direct him to the correct thread and remind him to search properly first lor. If keep abusing the forum then infraction lor xD sometimes newbies really Dk how t search mah so must guide guide abit xD

I do. Then I still kena. Then others all still come in and tell me to ignore the thread/notreply, ignorant of the fact that it is *they* who are coming in and trolling the thread.

I think Rashkee should be nominated as a moderator there so the other moderators can nua one side and shake their leg. :bsmilie:

I think the day that will happen... I better go buy Toto and Singapore sweep and 4D...

Rashkae said:
I do. Then I still kena. Then others all still come in and tell me to ignore the thread, ignorant of the fact that it is *they* who are coming in and trolling the thread.

Touché. Haha I think newbie corner not good for your health. Raise your BP only haha. Maybe we shud add
"if you troll the thread, senior member rashkae will hunt you down and murder you in your sleep. Beware"

"Newbies reading this.... we are hoping to keep this area for new comers in the hobby to learn and ask questions without fear of getting banged, flamed and humiliated. "

that DOES not grant you license to turn Newbies Corner into a playground or sandbox or mud pool ..... our first advise is always to recommend you to do the necessary searches here in Clubsnap or elsewhere first .... do some homework .... so that at least your questions are a little more thought out or educated

If you dont get replies .... well..... feel free to read in-between the lines what the community is trying to tell you....

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
I do. Then I still kena. Then others all still come in and tell me to ignore the thread/notreply, ignorant of the fact that it is *they* who are coming in and trolling the thread.

I think sometimes your reply be mre joke joke abit like me thn you won't Kenna counter flame by those who think that you're bullying the newbies :p

Do Either of the following when inside the Newbies Corner sub-forum :

1. DO offer genuine help, directions, opinions and links OR

2 DON'T REPLY if you feel :

a. the newbie deserves getting flamed for asking simple questions
a. the question has been asked once too many times before
b. its a waste of your time
c. its spoonfeeding
d. the Newbie is lazy about searching and/or Googling
e. that advise or help that you render allows you to flame the newbie
f. its a facepalm question
g. its a great excuse to attack newbies when they ask basic questions and the answer is SO OBVIOUS (to you)

How about combining the two, at least for 1 and 2c/d (though not to the extent stated).

Nothing wrong with pointing out that the answer you provided was easily available on the net, right? At least there is the chance that the reader will keep that in mind the next time. Of course there are ways of pointing that out, and ways of pointing that out and there is no need to be unnecessarily caustic. Cheers.

Yes, I don't get the people who become the newbie patrol police. It is one thing to tell off a hapless person who may or may not know better. I think perhaps we could keep in mind that there *are* genuine cases, such as people who may not be well acquainted with the Internet due to age, lack of contact, whatever. So after encountering these through the years I try to be more cordial in replying.

It is another thing to tell off the people who tell newbies off, while not adding any value yourself and drowning the thread in silly quarrels about what and how to handle such queries, making the really useful answers hard to filter through.

He should always add a :bsmilie: or a :lovegrin: at the end of his sentence to make it less aggressive.

Or a picture of Kei.

Status
Not open for further replies.