WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

The 3 camera models mentioned in the BCN report are branded
"Olympus".
They are not branded "OM System".
This is a fact that cannot be denied.

OMDS has officially dropped the brand name "Olympus".

Whatever "Olympus" branded cameras that are currently sold are likely old stocks in the inventory.
Whether consumers will buy cameras that are branded "OM System" in future - is at present unknown.
The future will tell.

In my opinion, the choice of "OM System" as a brand name is a serious branding mistake.

The comment on BCN is a general statement about the quality of Statistics presented to us consumers by market research organizations with a commercial vested interest.
Just take it with a pinch of salt.
As consumers, you do not have to directly pay the market research organizations.

But market research organizations cannot do the statistics gathering for free.
How they are paid is complex. Maybe by way of taking up expensive advertisements in their magazine.
But it is likely they have corporate sponsors.

Regardless of whether BCN garners data from 40% to 50% of all camera shops in Japan.
The general principle of the comment applies.
That is if the data does not reflect 90% or 100% of the shops.

Then it means the market research organization can pick and choose data from among the large pool of shops.
That is, the data can be chosen to fit a desired pre-determined "result".
Then they report - Oh this data is only from 40% (or 50%) of all shops available.

The weakness of this concept will be more obvious if the data pool is not 40% but only 10%.

When market research organizations claim something.
You can ask:

• What are their Assumptions.
• What are their parameters of research.
• Are there any asterisk * side notes about particular items.

2020 Camera market share report????? We are talking of 2023 BCN now have 50% of the Japanese retailers dude.

No need Worldwide report.......... All the brands Nikon Canon Sony except Leica are all Japanese brands. The data will not vary that much.
Point is not about BCN. Point is in at least, 3 out of the Top 10 cameras in 2023 are by OM Digital, after taking our from Olympus.
And 2 out of the 3 are M43 models. (Nikon only have 1 model the ZFc in Top 10 model).

Only goes to show OM Digital and M43 are still alive and kicking.
(Nikonrumors) They say...

BCN Ranking released their 2020 Japanese camera market share report (not worldwide!). BCN Ranking collects real sales data only from approximately 40% of the Japanese retailers. The Nikon related numbers:

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/01/18/...amera-market-share-report.aspx/#ixzz8PHFtKnu1

(Photorumors) They also say...

BCN Ranking published the latest camera market share for Japan for the first six months of 2023

BCN Ranking collects real sales data from approximately 40% of the Japanese retailers – this is not a worldwide market share report.

Read more: https://photorumors.com/2023/07/23/165257/#ixzz8PHGeqCCD

No one is cherry picking OMDS.
The problem with OMDS is that consumers world wide (and in Japan) are NOT picking it.
They prefer better cameras from other brands.

This is not market research where a small sample is being collected.

This is sales data captured from their POS. And like I said, BCN does not belong to any manufacturer. It just gather the data from its members and provide a report so members know which brand to stock up more and give less promotions etc to the better selling models.

The comment on BCN is a general statement about the quality of Statistics presented to us consumers by market research organizations with a commercial vested interest.
Just take it with a pinch of salt.
As consumers, you do not have to directly pay the market research organizations.

But market research organizations cannot do the statistics gathering for free.
How they are paid is complex. Maybe by way of taking up expensive advertisements in their magazine.
But it is likely they have corporate sponsors.

Regardless of whether BCN garners data from 40% to 50% of all camera shops in Japan.
The general principle of the comment applies.
That is if the data does not reflect 90% or 100% of the shops.

Then it means the market research organization can pick and choose data from among the large pool of shops.
That is, the data can be chosen to fit a desired pre-determined "result".
Then they report - Oh this data is only from 40% (or 50%) of all shops available.

The weakness of this concept will be more obvious if the data pool is not 40% but only 10%.

When market research organizations claim something.
You can ask:

• What are their Assumptions.
• What are their parameters of research.
• Are there any asterisk * side notes about particular items.

OMDS and the community is still very active. For those interested, can tune in and listen

1705723844759.png

Clicked your link and noticed that Asia was not featured. Abit sad.

View attachment 115493

Clicked your link and noticed that Asia was not featured. Abit sad.

I also noticed asia is left out sadly but not surprised as OMDS thinks USA and EU constitute the bulk of their potential revenue. It seems to they have retired all of their past ambassadors and bet on their new batch of ambassadors who are younger and better looking. My opinion is that these ambassadors offer nothing new to the m43 brand. Whether be it wildlife or bird , landscape and travel photography. They should save this budget and do game changing R&D instead. You don't see Leica spend money on ads or ambassadors. Leica's brand sell by itself. They have created their kind of look in photography which everybody wants to emulate.

Besides the A-mount, Sony NEX also did not do well.
But Sony has lots of resources to keep trying until they succeed.

I doubt Sony or any camera major manufacturer want to join M43 after Olympus and Panasonic have released several very popular lenses.
80% of the revenue from these manufacturers come from lenses. (each camera user usually buy a few lenses or more).
Sony, like Nikon and Canon would definitely want to sell it's own brand of lenses to their own users.

Sony executive admits A mount was a failure even with a900 FF.
What if Sony had joined M43? 😃
E mount from Inception was meant for a compact camera.

Just when all the naysayers thought that OM Digital is going to be dead....
OM Digital is once again coming out with new updates.

May not be enough to get those with OM-1 to upgrade as it is just minor upgrades,
but good enough to persuade those birding shooters who have not jumped into OM Systems, hopefully :)
Especially now with the more affordable 150-600mm F5.0 - 6.3. That's 300mm to 1200mm on Full Frame!!!!!
Even if I get the Sony 200-600mm 5.0 to 6.3 with a 2x TC on my Sony, I only get 1200mm F12.6, which is hardly usable.

Reactions: JW73
The rumoured OM 150-600mm better be a internal zoom lens and has dual IS. At the price USD$ 2500, people will start to compare with the cheaper sigma 150-600mm f6.3 which is less than USD$1000 and is very popular starter bird lens for FF users.

Last edited:
The rumoured OM 150-600mm better be a internal zoom lens and has dual IS. At the price USD$ 2500, people will start to compare with the cheaper sigma 150-600mm f6.3 which is less than USD$1000m and is very popular starter bird lens for FF users.

Well let's see, but it will work better than 3rd. party lens. The rumoured OM1 MK2 still use the same sensor and image processor but with bigger buffer and faster AF. Perhaps other features like better video and high Res shooting. Birders/ wildlife would upgrade but I wonder why OMDS want to go this route with incremental improvements like the big boys.
Would this sustain the interest in M43? It is easier of course just upgrade buffer memory and add improved firmware without new tooling.

After using my EPL-9 for some 6 months, these are some of my thoughts.

There is no future for m43 in Singapore, sadly. Both the bodies and lens are hard to find. I only know of 1 photographer who uses m43, it is a M43 dessert here.

My recent trip to Japan further re-enforce it. As such I have no choice but to get my next camera In Japan, I meant a M43 camera.

The M43 cameras are very much alive in Japan stores! I get to touch the Panasonic m43 flagship, feel its weight in my palm. I am wow by the affordable prices of the om-10 there and Sg stores just can’t compete with the sheer varieties of lens available. I bought affordable pre-owned m43 telephoto lens (about sgd$100) and use it in Disneyland. Taking parade photos is a breeze with the telephoto lens.

And I meet other m43 users there. At a park, a photographer committed that my EPL-9 is very popular with the female users and SHE shows me her OM1. Interestingly, at the park, I saw more locals using cameras than I ever see people using cameras in Sg. One old gentleman was shooting with a Sony NEX 3, another using a Sony A mount camera.

I bought 2 other cameras there as well but the EPL-9 gets used all the time! It is so portable!

Sadly, the EPL-9 can no longer meet my needs in the M43 system. I want a more tactile feel camera!

Reactions: Limberg
Duo Serephy said,

Sadly, the EPL-9 can no longer meet my needs in the M43 system. I want a more tactile feel camera!

Ya, agree, agree. She feel her pom pom I feel my OM...😃 But I take "umbrage" that you said M43 has no future in sg. 🤗

1706177126447.png

Olympus E-M1 . Olympus Zuiko 12-60mmF2.8-4.0 @32mm . F/7.1 . 1/125” . ISO 100

Duo Serephy said,

Ya, agree, agree. She feel her pom pom I feel my OM...😃 But I take "umbrage" that you said M43 has no future in sg. 🤗

View attachment 115585
Olympus E-M1 . Olympus Zuiko 12-60mmF2.8-4.0 @32mm . F/7.1 . 1/125” . ISO 100

Well, unless the local dealer open up more, it is hard to sell cameras if u dun have a physical feel 1st.

of cos, some cameras dun follow that rule, like the x100v

Well, unless the local dealer open up more, it is hard to sell cameras if u dun have a physical feel 1st.

of cos, some cameras dun follow that rule, like the x100v

As @Pitachu pointed out there is OMDS showroom and promotions that you can try out OMDS latest gear.

I don't know how Fujifilm does it's marketing.

The Local DIstributor for OM Systems is Master D'Imaging. https://www.master-d.com.sg/
When I visited them to test and buy the OM-1 and 8-25 lenses, they are located at Sim Lim Sq.
They are now located at 119 Ubi Avenue 4.

I heard that Master D'Imaging is owned by ALan Photo, so you can probably buy it there.
The other shop which a number of photographers bought their OM-1 from is MS Color.
And the other few I knew bought overseas.

OM Systems / Olympus is a rather niche camera, and a lot of shops do not keep stock but can order the items you need for you.
If are interested to test, you can join one of the Olympus PhotoWalks. Worth it to sign up as a Olympus Club member.
I usually join their Photowalks to test out the lenses,

You can PM me if you need anymore info.

Note: I am not related to any of the companies above. I am just a user who enjoyed using Olympus.

Olympus created quite a stir when it introduced the 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25
(the build in TC can transform the lenses to 187.5 to 500mm F4.5 (375mm - 1000mm Full Frame equivalent @F5)

OM Systems, after having seen Olympus trying to keep up with production for the 150-400mm is smart enough to license from Sigma the 150-600 F4-5.6mm
This not only saves cost in R&D but also solve it's production headaches.

Why is this significant?
150-600 on M43 is equivalent to 300-1200mm F4-5.6.
This range is ideal for Nature lovers and have enough reach for small critters or birds, with sufficient light.
There is not any lenses in the market at the moment that can provide this kind of reach at F5.6.
Even Canon Prime Lenses 1200mm @F8 and cost a whopping US$19,999.

Olympus created quite a stir when it introduced the 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25
(the build in TC can transform the lenses to 187.5 to 500mm F4.5 (375mm - 1000mm Full Frame equivalent @F5)

OM Systems, after having seen Olympus trying to keep up with production for the 150-400mm is smart enough to license from Sigma the 150-600 F4-5.6mm
This not only saves cost in R&D but also solve it's production headaches.

Why is this significant?
150-600 on M43 is equivalent to 300-1200mm F4-5.6.
This range is ideal for Nature lovers and have enough reach for small critters or birds, with sufficient light.
There is not any lenses in the market at the moment that can provide this kind of reach at F5.6.
Even Canon Prime Lenses 1200mm @F8 and cost a whopping US$19,999.
Actually it's f5-/6.3, not f/4-5.6
Secondly, sure there are other ways to achieve more or less the same thing.
Canon with any of their 32.5mp APS-C models such as the R7 coupled with 150-600mm cropped to 2X gives you exactly the same on the long end with comparable resolution. On the short end it even goes to 240mm so it'd be a 240-1200 equiv FOV at f/5-6.3 actual f-number.

Actually it's f5-/6.3, not f/4-5.6
Secondly, sure there are other ways to achieve more or less the same thing.
Canon with any of their 32.5mp APS-C models such as the R7 coupled with 150-600mm cropped to 2X gives you exactly the same on the long end with comparable resolution. On the short end it even goes to 240mm so it'd be a 240-1200 equiv FOV at f/5-6.3 actual f-number.
Yes I agree. Lets wait for the official launch and see how sharp it is. I sometimes use the 300mmf4 with 2x converter and with the F8 aperture, it is still pretty sharp at good light and able to get action shots. So f6.3 is ok for today’s standard as sensors performance at higher iso has improved significantly . People even readily accept the f9 aperture for the 200-800mm canon lens:

So this new OM 150-600mm is a potential good buy for bird shooters .

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Lets wait for the official launch and see how sharp it is. I sometimes use the 300mmf4 with 2x converter and with the F8 aperture, it is still pretty sharp at good light and able to get action shots. So f6.3 is ok for today’s standard. People even readily accept the f9 aperture for the 200-800mm canon lens:

So this new OM 150-600mm is a potential good buy for bird shooters .
Don’t get me wrong. I do think it’ll be a nice addition to m43 and like you, I think let’s wait for the lens to fall into the hands of photographers first before judging.
I just don’t think it should be hyped as more than what it is that’s all.

Reactions: JW73