WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Personal choice. whether to fit UV filters on your lenses.
Was just viewing some videos on fake graphic cards from China.
So yes, China does make fakes.
If you take photos in dusty environment, you may like to protect your lens front element.
Just to prevent the need to always clean front element.
Whether to use filter also depends on the price of the lens.
Good filter brands are Zeiss, B+W, Leica.
Previously Marumi was not considered to be a top grade filter brand. Not sure about now.
I find the steel ball and hammer smashing of filters in the video quite pointless.
Camera lenses are delicate instruments.
You generally do not subject lenses with filters to such extreme treatment.
Marumi's selling point is hardness of the glass.
But they did not say much about the OPTICAL quality of the filter.

Reactions: Limberg
You, @ricohflex have a very good point there. The impact test is only one thing, degradation is another.

You, @ricohflex have a very good point there. The impact test is only one thing, degradation is another.
As mentioned in my earlier post, my personal experience is that as post processing software become more advance, UV filters that helps to reduce haze is becoming irrelevant. I usually use Lightroom to cut back on the Haze (if there is) whenever I use lenses filter filters eg. my Olympus 8mm lenses where there is no thread for filters. There are attachments but I felt they are too cumbersome.

This means that actually quality of UV filters does not matter anymore, and I think the rest of the characteristics eg. transparency, color cast etc are quite minimal between cheap and more expensive protection filters.

This is where we can disagree. My understanding of UV filter is, it is loosely used as a physical protection rather than image enhancement/improvement. It also overlaps with lens protector without "UV" label. For haze reduction, it has to be by a polariser.

Now, whether we need a glass protector (be it UV or just plain lens protector), it is a risk appetite issue (probability vs severity). We might kana, we might not kana, depends on our luck. If we kana a small hit, the protector cracks, we might loosely conclude the protector saves our lens. If we kana a hit, no protector installed, lens crack, we might regret never installed.

Next is my favourite, software, or the least favourite. I belongs to the category who is not well-versed or no time to edit or no 3rd party photo edit software, just have the camera-supplied software, which is simpler. So, we rely solely on polariser, external flash light or the patented Live Composite (LC) to do the hardworks. No post processing. LC alone persuaded me to stay put with Olympus. Actually also wallet, camera+lens size and weight.

If you check B&W and other suppliers, they some times list their uv filters as UV-Haze filter, so UV filter is for Haze reduction.
Polarizers are for reducing glare and reflections.
This is where we can disagree. My understanding of UV filter is, it is loosely used as a physical protection rather than image enhancement/improvement. It also overlaps with lens protector without "UV" label. For haze reduction, it has to be by a polariser.

Now, whether we need a glass protector (be it UV or just plain lens protector), it is a risk appetite issue (probability vs severity). We might kana, we might not kana, depends on our luck. If we kana a small hit, the protector cracks, we might loosely conclude the protector saves our lens. If we kana a hit, no protector installed, lens crack, we might regret never installed.

Next is my favourite, software, or the least favourite. I belongs to the category who is not well-versed or no time to edit or no 3rd party photo edit software, just have the camera-supplied software, which is simpler. So, we rely solely on polariser, external flash light or the patented Live Composite (LC) to do the hardworks. No post processing. LC alone persuaded me to stay put with Olympus. Actually also wallet, camera+lens size and weight.

If you check B&W and other suppliers, they some times list their uv filters as UV-Haze filter, so UV filter is for Haze reduction.
Polarizers are for reducing glare and reflections.
I haven't been replying on recommendations of B+W filter, bcos it appears to be top of the range. If B+W has UV-Haze, while the rest of the brands don't have, then, that could explain why we're not in in the same frequency. Lol.

Bear with me, I'm in 2nd tier.

My online order of Chinese Nisi polariser had arrived, $50 after 11.11 discount. I compared with my current one, Daisee (Canada) but seems like a made-in-Japan, $56, bought in SG a decade ago, very obvious, Nisi is brighter than. Then I released, Nisi has polarisers at $10, $50, $70, $100 and my goodness $300.

The highest I can find made-in-Japan 62mm polariser in Bic Camera is about $170. But the pricest is Hasselblad $360. No USA brand. Abit regret, could have waited. Anyway, still got chance to buy the made-in-Japan lens protector.

Saw Yodobashi discount pricing, OM-1 kit (12-40mm F2.8 Pro II) is 23% or about $800 cheaper than SG. This is before if I manage to claim tax-free. Playing devil's advocate, hopefully, Japan is not trying to dump OM-1 in their local market.

Just came back from Japan and visited Yodobashi in Japan too. Noticed that they only assigned 1 display island to Nikon, 1 to Canon, 3 to Sony, 2 to Panasonic and 1 to Olympus. Less popular brands like Ricoh and Leica are on glass shelves. The number of islands assigned seems to be relative to the number of interested buyers trying out the cameras. Not surprised that Sony is the most popular but surprised on the popularity of Panasonic (both the S-series and M43)

Panasonic Camera Division seems to insist to hang on to MFT format even though they have already transitioned to Full Frame with the L mount Lumix S series.
Well, it is their choice.
An indulgent parent company has tolerated this for some years.
However, the parent company itself is in trouble.
Therefore this MFT obsession by Panasonic can come to a sudden halt, when the whole ship goes down.

See.

@ricohflex The video did not say Panasonic went down because of its obsession with M43. I think it is your obsession of bringing M43 down by trying to tie it down to every single news you come across, and hoping no one went thru the video but depends on your bias interpretation.

Many Japanese manufacturers have went down or going down because of refusal to change or failure to adapt. It has nothing to do with sensor format!
Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh and other non camera manufacturers like Sanyo, TDK Hitachi, Toshiba are all facing financial difficulties too

There is actually on focusing on how long more a manufacturer can last when making your buying decisions. A good manufacturer can change direction too.
I just visited Japan and the 2nd hand Camera retailers are huge. There are tons and tons of Canon and Nikon DSLR and lenses selling very cheap now that Mirrorless is the trend. Your camera is not going to stop working when a manufacturer close down or don't make that series anymore...eg Nikon V series, Canon M serier or Sony earlier DSLR. You will probably be able to use your gear 3 to 4 years until all the batteries are dead and you are not able to replace them anymore LOL.

Selling off your gear and replace it with new gears to explore their new capabilities are also part of the fun.

Panasonic Camera Division seems to insist to hang on to MFT format even though they have already transitioned to Full Frame with the L mount Lumix S series.
Well, it is their choice.
An indulgent parent company has tolerated this for some years.
However, the parent company itself is in trouble.
Therefore this MFT obsession by Panasonic can come to a sudden halt, when the whole ship goes down.

See.

I will not be surprised if OM Systems come up with a OM-1x with Global Shutter.
Sony A9 mk 3 with Global shutter offer Black out free 120fps shooting with AF/AE tracking, which is a good alternative to OM-1 HSS mode, and even surpasses it on come features. I have used the EM-1x before. Nice for shooting birds and sports where you stand there and shoot but the weight make it unwieldy when you move around a lot. So the OM-1x (if it is released is not my cup of tea).

I will be more interested if OM-System introduced a High End Pen-F for me to use as a casual street camera with some of my smaller M43 lenses.
And a Built In flash will be nice, like the Panasonic G100 mk2, released only for Japan market.

I'm not sure OMD has the resources to pick and choose bespoke sensors so I'm going with a proliferation of the OM-1 sensor into alternative bodies.

There is a rumour of a new top end camera. So anything is possible except the wallet .

Got my OM-1 14-40mm F2.8 Pro II Kit. Abit kelong. Online order pick-up-at-store, but no tax-free, they've stock. Buy at the store, got tax-free, no stock. Sigh. But since it's still 22% cheaper, bit the bullet, ordered online, collected at store, magically within a day. Had the staff to change the camera language to English, the rest I settled.

Was feeling abit overjoyed. The shop said the original batt is not charged at all, so they used theirs to set the camera language. After that, I inserted my own prepared batt and started using. Went back hotel, ownself pasted the LCD protector that I brought along. Never been so well-prepared for a new camera.

Also bought Lowepro 350 II bag and that steel ball drop tested Marumi lens protector (0.2% reflection).

Been using for 2 days. Can't tell the detail bcos LCD screen is too small for my eyesight. Need to wait for downloading to PC.

Having abit of issue with the green box locked focusing. Chose "small area" but the even smaller square box anyhow run within the "small area" each time I try to focus under S-AF.

Reactions: swifty
Congrats! OM-1 is a great camera for what it is designed for.
For me it really shines when I used it to capture flying birds or birds taking off or landing.
The subject identification works great. You have to test various focus modes to find which one is the most suitable.
It is not as idiot proof as my Sony :cool:

Have fun with the rest of its unique features.
There are tons of features to try out. Have Fun.

Don't try to compare it with other cameras and
Don't try to think that it is a "Every Situation Camera"
Every Camera has its strengths and weaknesses.

Got my OM-1 14-40mm F2.8 Pro II Kit. Abit kelong. Online order pick-up-at-store, but no tax-free, they've stock. Buy at the store, got tax-free, no stock. Sigh. But since it's still 22% cheaper, bit the bullet, ordered online, collected at store, magically within a day. Had the staff to change the camera language to English, the rest I settled.

Was feeling abit overjoyed. The shop said the original batt is not charged at all, so they used theirs to set the camera language. After that, I inserted my own prepared batt and started using. Went back hotel, ownself pasted the LCD protector that I brought along. Never been so well-prepared for a new camera.

Also bought Lowepro 350 II bag and that steel ball drop tested Marumi lens protector (0.2% reflection).

Been using for 2 days. Can't tell the detail bcos LCD screen is too small for my eyesight. Need to wait for downloading to PC.

Having abit of issue with the green box locked focusing. Chose "small area" but the even smaller square box anyhow run within the "small area" each time I try to focus under S-AF.

See what Robin says from 39:38 to 43:20 in the video. Ouch. Bad news for MFT.

Robin has made some valid points but I think he generalized it so much that he skipped the fact the the OM-1 actually has a new sensor (which did improved the noise at higher ISO) and did have some welcomed features like the built in ND filters.

Anyway, OM Systems is operating on a very lean budget and we cannot expect them to R&D at the speed of Sony and Canon.
But they do have something up their sleeve coming...

Congrats! OM-1 is a great camera for what it is designed for.
For me it really shines when I used it to capture flying birds or birds taking off or landing.
The subject identification works great. You have to test various focus modes to find which one is the most suitable.
It is not as idiot proof as my Sony :cool:

Have fun with the rest of its unique features.
There are tons of features to try out. Have Fun.

Don't try to compare it with other cameras and
Don't try to think that it is a "Every Situation Camera"
Every Camera has its strengths and weaknesses.
Tiok. I've since opted for ... "single fixed box" focus, so the focusing won't autoroam around a "small area".

Robin discusses why OMDS should make a full frame product now, while still making MFT bodies. Like Panasonic.
See what he says from 45:05 to 46:30.