WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Think it's time to really think before purchasing anymore OM-systems stuff.

Remember that OM-1i had a few teething issues when it was launched? Cameras fry when charging? Now without out that charger, the blame can be shifted back to the buyer not using the correct chargers. SO you PAY for any damages.

I think I will agree with @blackmondy.

As a rule, I always charge my camera batteries outside the camera with an external charger, simply because any brand original battery and charger also can catch fire. I use Original Battery charger for my OM-1, but for my Sony cameras, I have been using 3rd party (one that is well reviewed on Amazon) for several years with no issues. Anyway most modern camera original batteries have built in protection and will shut down when it is too hot.

Yes, for any brand of equipment, there is always a fine print that warranty does not cover batteries.

So far, I am very blessed that the OM-1 I was using for 1 year plus have zero issues although I have 2 friends who have issues with the front dial from a particular batch but both got repaired by the local dealer with no further issues. I have not heard of any OM-1 being fried while charging locally.

Remember that OM-1i had a few teething issues when it was launched? Cameras fry when charging? Now without out that charger, the blame can be shifted back to the buyer not using the correct chargers. SO you PAY for any damages.

Last edited:
Continuing the dismal 2024 camera sales story. It had been reported 50% of new American university graduates are doing high school ( secondary school in sg language ) level jobs.

Last edited:

The best OM-1 is still the mechanical beauty from the film era.

• Haha
Reactions: Blu-By-U
If the features of the OM-1i and OM-1 ii are of use to you, they are a God Send.
If the features are not useful to your style or photo genre, they are a piece of junk.

Go DP review and search for SLR that can do 50 fps and check the prices (eg. Sony A9iii)
or Go DP review and search for a zoom lenses that can reach 1000mm@ F5.6 and check the price of camera and lenses.
And also check their weight :)

Reactions: JW73
I view BCN statistics as not representative of world wide sales & not even representative of Japan only.
Because they cherry pick from some photo stores.
Well, they do not compile statistics and issue reports for free.

Some one must pay them.
Directly or indirectly.
Of course, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Those who believe BCN is gospel truth can see the following charts.
Apparently the money gravy train stopped running to BCN from M43 manufacturers.
See the yellow (Panasonic) and green (OMDS) lines of the left hand side chart.

You can view the charts at this URL

bythom.com year end summary

Last edited:
Come on @ricohflex you also cherry pick data to bolster your argument that OMDS is failing when what Tom Hogan wrote is his take on the figures. His last paragraph gives the truth about what camera manufacturers are doing. That is to sell expensive cameras to make up the falling demand but it is NOT SUSTAINABLE. Every camera manufacturer sales are trending down and that's a fact given the reality of the economic situation I have shown earlier 2024 and going forward is not rosy. 🙄

1708883782906.png

1708883826284.png

However, hidden in that (probable) mis-prediction is something that a lot of folk don't quite grok yet. In 2012, the average yen taken in per ILC unit was 37,400 yen. In 2023 it has grown to 106,000 yen. That's correct, the average ILC sold today is about 65% higher in revenue (at the manufacturer) than it was at peak. That outstrips (US) inflation during that period by about double. So yes, one of Japan's responses to your buying fewer cameras is to make more expensive cameras. That, unfortunately for Tokyo, is not a sustainable road to success, so it's a good thing that actual unit volume ticked up a bit this past year.
Feb 5, 2024 at 1:45 PM

As a rule, I always charge my camera batteries outside the camera with an external charger, simply because any brand original battery and charger also can catch fire. I use Original Battery charger for my OM-1, but for my Sony cameras, I have been using 3rd party (one that is well reviewed on Amazon) for several years with no issues. Anyway most modern camera original batteries have built in protection and will shut down when it is too hot.

Yes, for any brand of equipment, there is always a fine print that warranty does not cover batteries.

So far, I am very blessed that the OM-1 I was using for 1 year plus have zero issues although I have 2 friends who have issues with the front dial from a particular batch but both got repaired by the local dealer with no further issues. I have not heard of any OM-1 being fried while charging locally.
BUT OM-Systems do not include a charging cradle for outside of camera charging. Now they don't even include the charging adapter for in camera charging.

I have been using Sony a couple of years together with Olympus.
When I bought the Sony A7 iii 5 years ago, it does not come with a charging cradle. So I bought a charging cradle.
When I upgrade to Sony A7 iv, I continue to use my old charging cradle. That is the reason why Sony and other manufacturers decided to sell the cradle separately.
And when I upgrade to the Sony A7 CR, not only it does not come with a cradle, Sony do not even provide the USB Cable! as Sony is thinking that most users will probably use the previous cable or have their own USB cable.

So it was no surprise to me that when I upgrade to the OM-1, it does come with the cradle (bundled with 2nd battery)
I usually do not use the original cable in the box, but for OM-1 there seems to be some difference as I initially did not managed to update the OM-1 firmware with my own USB cable which I can use to update my Sony. So I do hope that OM-1 ii will provide the USB cable.

BUT OM-Systems do not include a charging cradle for outside of camera charging. Now they don't even include the charging adapter for in camera charging.

Just out of curiosity, How much do you have to pay for that Sony A7 battery charging cradle?

At least M'sia, we still get that USB-C adapter. But missing is that tiny flash and cable holder. They throw in the HLD-10 with it but no extra battery.

@Pitachu , I check, the original Sony AC battery cradle is around RM299 while OM-System bundles the spare battery with the cradle at RM400 (only at this promotion PWP) and that cradle needs a USB-C power supply.

The USB-C power supply needed is provided with the OM-1 mk1. Not sure about mk2
At least M'sia, we still get that USB-C adapter. But missing is that tiny flash and cable holder. They throw in the HLD-10 with it but no extra battery.

@Pitachu , I check, the original Sony AC battery cradle is around RM299 while OM-System bundles the spare battery with the cradle at RM400 (only at this promotion PWP) and that cradle needs a USB-C power supply.

Wow! The Fujifilm X100VI received 500,000 pre-orders in China alone.
It cannot be the 40mp because the Sony 7Cii has 33mp and 7CR has 61mp and Sony did not receive 500,000 preorders.

Just wondering..... there must still be a huge market for small form-factor cameras.
Maybe OM Systems should look into bring back the Pen series.
It will be more flexible than the X100VI since there are lots of tiny M43 lenses to pair with it instead of having a fixed lenses with 2 TC for the X100VI.

I have been talking about m43 cheap compact camera since 2023. Now surprise, surprise, everyone will be trying to catch up as there is money to be made. OMDS has been caught with their pants down again.

It is clear that consumers want a better camera then their smart phones. Not only that they want to stand out and not churn out the same LOOK by the millions everyday on social media. Most crucial of all is that Fuji 100 mk 6 is an attractive camera , the camera and the photo output matters.

Now the Italian said that this compact camera must include instant sharing app plus photo and video editing suit in the camera. Another YouTuber said but is it enough? It should also include more storage memory as younger people have many things they want to share on social media.

In my opinion, OMDS has already the technology in OM1 MK2 to incorporate this and more like add film simulations or picture styles and really make effort to beautify the camera. In the report writer argue for a fullframe version , I say that is the wrong direction because young people don't want to carry big and bulky bricks of a camera when they go about their lives.

As Fuji is not able to scale up production there will be a backlog and this is where other camera companies can try to attract consumers who want a Fuji camera but don't want to wait. Young people want instant gratification so OMDS can easily design one within 6 - 9 months knowing what consumers want . And a poor man's Leica camera at that , look at Fuji 100 V 6 doesn't it look Leica-ess ? We talked about the Leica look of the photo output.😉 😂 It's time to listen to the customers' needs. Robin Wong will now have a new topic of discussion on his podcast! 😃

Edit: Thread views have crossed 87k. 😊👍🫰💪

Last edited:
Fuji X100 is special and no brand can recreate unless a direct copy cat. The Dual OVF/EVF although to me is useless is special in the photo industry. The film simulations coming from Fuji past films experience and the leaf shutter sound it made when a photo is shot are unique to X100.

People including myself try to use a 35mm lens (or equivalent focal) on a mirrorless body just cannot make it or feel the same.

Last edited:
Fuji X100 is special and no brand can recreate unless a direct copy cat. The Dual OVF/EVF although to me is useless is special in the photo industry. The film simulations coming from Fuji past films experience and the leaf shutter sound it made when a photo is shot are unique to X100.

People including myself try to use a 35mm lens (or equivalent focal) on a mirrorless body just cannot make it or feel the same.
Agree. Fuji have hit a formula that's garnered a cult following. Similarly but using a slightly different formula is the Ricoh GR series which has it's own cult following.
Nikon's Zfc only sold moderately well but yet the Zf is far more popular despite a much higher price. The combination of FF and premium build sets it apart from the Zfc in an otherwise similar concept.
This genre of the buying public is finicky. Not saying a revised Pen F won't work but they need to find their own niche. Something to set it apart, rather than a copycat.
But something tells me attention to detail is important in this segment. People notice all the little things from the way the dials click, shutter feel, sound of the actuation, the hinges on the compartment doors/LCDs, weather sealing etc. But if they get it right, you'd be surprised at the premium people are willing to pay for that dedication.

Reactions: JW73
Robin Wong previews Fujifilm x100 V6 testing it's ibis. So far so good. I think he is using DJI pocket3 as you can see his reflection as he zoomed towards the showcase. This video is more pro now.😊

OMDS can still be in the game if they act fast. ✌️ 100v has only a tilt screen not full articulated screen? Inconvenient for vloggers and selfies?

Last edited: