WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

I found this wishlist for the Pen F mk2
OMDS

What he wants , willing to pay or not but to OMDS buy one unit cannot survive. Must like Fuji 100v get 500k preorder! 🤣

OMDS have no record of learning from mistakes as writer wrote he hopes. Wishful thinking. Ball is in OMDS court.
I think OMDS is not intuitive hence no Midas touch unfortunately. Investment company only see performance but does not understand consumers and photography. A visionary is needed.🙏

Last edited:
My problem with the Pen F was the lack of coherence around its ecosystem.
It was positioned as a premium model but after buying it, I quickly came to dislike its build quality.
I knew it wasn’t weather sealed but given the lenses I was intending to pair it with also weren’t weather sealed, it was a moot point. Which begs the question, why aren’t the M.Zuiko Premium series weather sealed? Along with aperture rings it would have been a perfect combo with a weather sealed Pen F, not to mention the popular (at least at the time) E-M5 series. There were gems in there like the 75mm f/1.8.

To me, OM Systems can’t afford to hold back. The only tech interesting to me from OMS is in the OM1 but I’m not interested in the OM1 form factor for my m43 gear. Whilst I’m sure margins are pretty decent for them on the OM1, they’re severe limiting their market appeal IMO.

What would be unique and really interesting at least to me is a tough compact with the OM1 sensor/Truepic X driving it and using the BLX-1 battery rather than the wimpy ones that normally power compacts. Fixed lens cameras have always taken a back seat to their ILC cousins. Maybe they shouldn’t.

Reactions: Pitachu
I hear and agree with you bro. I was happily using the E5mk3, which I can easily bring along 2-3 lenses in my waist pouch for my hiking!
After I upgrade to OM-1, I find it a little bulky and has been wishing OM Systems come up with a smaller form-factor but with the OM-1 sensor.
I was sad that OM-5 used the same sensor as my EM-5mk3 so I did not get it. Was hoping maybe the Pen F mk2 may get the OM-1 sensor,
because I understand that OM Systems have to contract a huge batch of the sensor and have to finish using it, so all new OMDS cameras are likely to
use the sensor (eg. OM-1 mk2) but OMDS need to control how not to cannibalize the OM-1 sales.

In the meantime, I was "forced" to get the Sony 7CR as my compact ILC when I need to travel light. I did that because my son has been using Sony for several years and have accumulated quite a few lenses, so I only need to get the body only.

My problem with the Pen F was the lack of coherence around its ecosystem.
It was positioned as a premium model but after buying it, I quickly came to dislike its build quality.
I knew it wasn’t weather sealed but given the lenses I was intending to pair it with also weren’t weather sealed, it was a moot point. Which begs the question, why aren’t the M.Zuiko Premium series weather sealed? Along with aperture rings it would have been a perfect combo with a weather sealed Pen F, not to mention the popular (at least at the time) E-M5 series. There were gems in there like the 75mm f/1.8.

To me, OM Systems can’t afford to hold back. The only tech interesting to me from OMS is in the OM1 but I’m not interested in the OM1 form factor for my m43 gear. Whilst I’m sure margins are pretty decent for them on the OM1, they’re severe limiting their market appeal IMO.

What would be unique and really interesting at least to me is a tough compact with the OM1 sensor/Truepic X driving it and using the BLX-1 battery rather than the wimpy ones that normally power compacts. Fixed lens cameras have always taken a back seat to their ILC cousins. Maybe they shouldn’t.

Looks like OMDS is profitable and planning for the long term.

Also interesting to note that he said development of other telephoto lenses is on the way.

Hopefully, the 50-250 lenses F2.8 on the roadmap is on the way to replace the long ago released 40-150 F2.8
and hopefully it is in-house developed with a more compact form factor with Sync IS.

Need some opinions on which body to get. OM5 or EM10iv or any other M43.

Will use it mainly for travel (Taking Action Photos) and occasionally portraits.

The action photos is mainly pictures of parades when visiting theme parks. Portraits usually indoors. For indoors, I be using off camera flashes as environment is usually dark.

I am attracted by em10’s price but have concerns with the AF in the mention scenario as it only has CDAF while OM5 has PDAF.

Weather seal is not a concern. However, sharing batteries with PEN epl9 is a must as well as EVF.

Tks.

Unless you are on a very tight budget, I think getting the OM-5 is better, mainly for the articulated screen and higher IBIS stops (7.5 vs 4.5), because quite a number of Olympus lenses do not have Lens Stabilization.

Unless you are on a very tight budget, I think getting the OM-5 is better, mainly for the articulated screen and higher IBIS stops (7.5 vs 4.5), because quite a number of Olympus lenses do not have Lens Stabilization.
The price is about $500-600 difference. I kind of love but hate the floppy screen. Low angle portraits shots, luv it. Other situations not so much. Personally, I luv the Fuji x-t5 screen!

Anyway, specs aside, 4.5 vs 7.5 stops, any real world difference when using?

My pl9 vs x-s20, I dun feel any significant difference tho on paper x-s20 is a much better camera spec wise.

The other differences like large image in viewfinder, 1/8000, AF for Astro etc are not very significant as I hardly use them.

IBIS is useful when you need to shoot below 1/30s eg. in dim light
The price is about $500-600 difference. I kind of love but hate the floppy screen. Low angle portraits shots, luv it. Other situations not so much. Personally, I luv the Fuji x-t5 screen!

Anyway, specs aside, 4.5 vs 7.5 stops, any real world difference when using?

My pl9 vs x-s20, I dun feel any significant difference tho on paper x-s20 is a much better camera spec wise.

Reactions: Duo Serephy
I now know what AI is, a data center where thousands of computers crunch numbers according to a particular algorithm. What has AI got to do with m43 and OMDS? Well I think OMDS and JIP have to rethink their strategy. As an investment company JIP only thinks about profit and OMDS thinks about market share which simply is taking from others like Sony, canon, Nikon, Fujifilm etc.

AI is used as hype in marketing cameras in this case but essentially it is about camera engineering. How can you make a camera that consumers enjoy to use to capture images that document their lives. Instead of taking market share from your competitors, what can you add or contribute to the photographer's enjoyment. I hope OMDS/JIP learn from Nvidia's CEO Jensen Hwang and all of us too. His words are gold. 👍 He says what is your purpose, mission and goal? Why do you want to reinvent the wheel? Be good at what you do.

Edit: Thread views crossed 88k. ✌️

Last edited:
Things look exciting for M43. `After all the OMDS announcements on the OM-1 ii with the 150-600 lenses in the 1st quarter,
Panasonic has registered 3 new cameras and rumors is that it will be
1) A FF camera similar to Leica newly announced SL3 (they have been working together) but with better video capability
2) A high end compact camera
3) the long awaited GH7

Rumours are just rumours and I don't care how credible m43 rumours' is. Let's talk real data this is not by a research company but by CIPA ( Japanese Cameras & Imaging Association ). CIPA forecasts 2024 will see camera output drop to 96% of 2023. Total output of cameras will be 7.41 million units of which 6.55 million units or 96.2% will be outside Japan. This shows Japan only consumes 3.8% of it's total output which brings to questions of YouTube influencers claim that it reflects worldwide data so in a sense @Richoflex assertion that Japanese sales figures do not represent camera worldwide market reality. Kudos to him. 👍

There are some positive data in that lens output remain almost that of 2023 at 99.3%.

2024 is an exciting year as many new cameras will be introduced and especially compact cameras! 😃

So I think camera manufacturers understand that there is consumer demand from smartphone users wanting better photo quality as a crossover camera. That said, looking at the current trend of fullframe camera manufacturer economy of scale and photographic image quality considerations some camera companies will maintain their dominance of smaller sensor formats like Panasonic GH series and Fujifilm's APSC to M43 Panasonic and OMDS niches. In general camera companies like Sony, canon and Nikon will maintain a superficial APSC product range as a consumer feeder or enticement to their fullframe product line.

1710215377874.png

Last edited:
Yes, camera sales will continue to drop.
It may be true that Canon & Nikon maintain superficial APSC cameras but not for Sony.
Sony has put in a lot of efforts into the their APSC cameras 6700, FX30, EV-10 etc and they are all very capable and well reviewed cameras.
Sony has also probably the widest range of APSC lenses available.

Rumours are just rumours and I don't care how credible m43 rumours' is. Let's talk real data this is not by a research company but by CIPA ( Japanese Cameras & Imaging Association ). CIPA forecasts 2024 will see camera output drop to 96% of 2023. Total output of cameras will be 7.41 million units of which 6.55 million units or 96.2% will be outside Japan. This shows Japan only consumes 3.8% of it's total output which brings to questions of YouTube influencers claim that it reflects worldwide data so in a sense @Richoflex assertion that Japanese sales figures do not represent camera worldwide market reality. Kudos to him. 👍

There are some positive data in that lens output remain almost that of 2023 at 99.3%.

2024 is an exciting year as many new cameras will be introduced and especially compact cameras! 😃

So I think camera manufacturers understand that there is consumer demand from smartphone users wanting better photo quality as a crossover camera. That said, looking at the current trend of fullframe camera manufacturer economy of scale and photographic image quality considerations some camera companies will maintain their dominance of smaller sensor formats like Panasonic GH series and Fujifilm's APSC to M43 Panasonic and OMDS niches. In general camera companies like Sony, canon and Nikon will maintain a superficial APSC product range as a consumer feeder or enticement to their fullframe product line.

View attachment 116301

Yes, camera sales will continue to drop.
It may be true that Canon & Nikon maintain superficial APSC cameras but not for Sony.
Sony has put in a lot of efforts into the their APSC cameras 6700, FX30, EV-10 etc and they are all very capable and well reviewed cameras.
Sony has also probably the widest range of APSC lenses available.

Remember Sony started off with apsc sensor and had the brilliant idea of putting a fullframe sensor intro the E or Nex mount which slowly became a huge success. Also riding on Sony's success is the 3rd. party lens support which it did not have and have no need to protect it's revenue stream like Canon till today. Sony is big enough so can afford the R&D to churn out APSC cameras which they know it's customers will switch to fullframe. But not all is rosy on its APSC front.

Edit: Thread views crossed 89k. ✌️

Last edited:
I actually started using the Sony 6000 APSC series from the 6300 (probably about 10 years ago) even before I started with M43, and at that time, the camera is okay only and Sony APSC lenses is so limited. When I get my EM5 mk3, part of the reason is there is such a wide selection of lenses to choose from and most of them are so compact I can fit a few in my waist pouch!

But Sony has came a long way. Although I am no longer using Sony APSC cameras I still have its 18-135 lenses to use with my A7CR as a small casual walk around lenses and I still get 33mp in apsc mode on my A7CR.

I believe there is a market for cameras about the size of the Sony A7CR or EM5mk3 as not all the time, serious photographers find it practical to bring along their full size DSLR with the highest IQ lenses. All M43 manufacturers should do is to listen to what the market want. After all, Fujifilm has gotten 500K pre orders on their tiny X100VI and Sony has got so much success with their tiny ZV series.

Remember Sony started off with apsc sensor and had the brilliant idea of putting a fullframe sensor intro the E or Nex mount which slowly became a huge success. Also riding on Sony's success is the 3rd. party lens support which it did not have and have no need to protect it's revenue stream like Canon till today. Sony is big enough so can afford the R&D to churn out APSC cameras which they know it's customers will switch to fullframe. But not all is rosy on its APSC front.

Looks like Panasonic saw how OM-Systems changed its focus to nature & wildlife photography market and follow suit with the G9Mk ii.

Unfortunately, Panasonic did not include some of the OM-1 features useful for these photographers eg. 120fps, pre-capture, AI bird detection etc.
Maybe in the Mk 3.

Yep, M43 manufacturers have definitely missed the boat. Last I heard is the preorders for the X100vi is approaching 1 million!!!!

The Fuji x100vi is actually about the size and weight of the OM-5 or the Panasonic GX-8 (my brother used to have one).
With the new 26mp sensor Panasonic is using on theG9ii, M43 users like me will be more than willing to trade in the 40mp of the Fujifilm X100vi
for 26mp with the flexibility of being able to change lenses instead of depending on tele converters just to get 28mm and 50mm on the X100vi
instead of 35mm.

Plus Panasonic has some good F1.7 M43 prime lenses to pair with.

Hopefully OMDS and Panasonic will look into this aspect as some of us really like to bring along a camera like the Fujifilm X100vi for casual occasions.

I think camera companies will use Fujifilm x100vi as a case study but x100 has a history right from launch but did not achieve commercial success for the photographers market mainly because of it's lackluster fixed lens quality even for the following updates until version V or 5. Even then lens quality and now version 6 , the lens has remained the same if I'm not mistaken.

The link mentioned that with x100vi it is on social media and influencers that hyped up the camera. Not that photographers are enamoured with x100vi but the smartphone NON photographers that went viral with it. I suspect has become a status symbol of sorts and that it will slowly lose it's cachet as time goes by. Fujifilm has shrewdly farmed out x100vi production outside Japan to china this ensuring to fulfilling consumer demand worldwide and cashing in on this social phenomenon. But it seems prices in Singapore are almost a thousand dollars more at SGD $2499! When in EU it is 1499 euros. 😱 And you are not guaranteed one when you preorder.

As for m43, it pays to first make a good camera and build on the foundation. That's the problem with a conformist culture like Japan. 🤪 Every company is a me too, same same format. Like life fortune favours the bold!

Enough of Fujifilm, let's give some m43 love.😊 How many cameras and lenses are in his bag?