WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Well, this is taken with my MFT Cameras. TBH, I dun know what I am doing, just playing around with the different settings.
with the right techniques, I believe it can get great results.

I bought the MFT as my back up to my APSC. The experience of using it is a pleasant surprise. I truly enjoyed using the PEN and my only disappointment is that it dun have an EVF. If it has an EVF, I may have use it more often than my APSC during my recent overseas trip.

I entered this system with both eyes open. My view on the immediate future of MFT is dim, cause by the high profile marketing by Sony and Fujifilm. Their cameras and lens are either widely available or highly sort after due to social media. So strong are these two’s marketing, it gives me the feeling that Canon and Nikon are a shell of its former self and that the rest have exit the Sg market. Certain 3rd part lens maker announces that they will stop developing lens for MFT just adds to the gloom.

Attachments

• P6050053.jpeg
    P6050053.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P6050081.jpeg
    P6050081.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
Go for the Pen-F if you like the feel of the PEN, but missed the viewfinder.

Regardless of format, I would like to have the viewfinder when using rangefinder style bodies.

Well, this is taken with my MFT Cameras. TBH, I dun know what I am doing, just playing around with the different settings.
with the right techniques, I believe it can get great results.

Well it is not about the camera or gear although it matters for some type of photography. Neither is it about techniques. Yes experimenting and exploring is the way to learn to see photographically, enjoy.

Why should you be bothered if your camera has a good future or that it is on everyone's lips? It's just a tool for imagery or visual art. Now do you really need a viewfinder to make or create a photograph? This person does not, look what he created with an old m43 camera.

[QUOTE="Duo Serephy, post: 9769191, member: 277164"

I bought the MFT as my back up to my APSC. The experience of using it is a pleasant surprise. I truly enjoyed using the PEN and my only disappointment is that it dun have an EVF. If it has an EVF, I may have use it more often than my APSC during my recent overseas trip.

I entered this system with both eyes open. My view on the immediate future of MFT is dim, cause by the high profile marketing by Sony and Fujifilm. Their cameras and lens are either widely available or highly sort after due to social media. So strong are these two’s marketing, it gives me the feeling that Canon and Nikon are a shell of its former self and that the rest have exit the Sg market. Certain 3rd part lens maker announces that they will stop developing lens for MFT just adds to the gloom.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Oh mine, if only I meet you earlier! I may not have gotten the 2nd hand GF10! The biggest issue I have with the GF10 is the body colour, which is pink…..

I wonder when we can get a new Panasonic MFT camera with phase detection, 3 way rotating screen and ibis, rangefinder style.

Here is a link for a well known Panasonic GX8. I used to own one and sold to a buddy as I bought a Pen-F.

Last edited:
Why should you be bothered if your camera has a good future or that it is on everyone's lips? It's just a tool for imagery or visual art. Now do you really need a viewfinder to make or create a photograph? This person does not, look what he created with an old m43 camera.

The format future
I guess is how I view history. The APS-C film format, when it first came out was exciting but it lasted only 10 years. If the film companies back then have developed a APS-35 format, would there be more film shooters today? I started mine photography experiences with film. While I enjoyed the shooting, I dun like that experience. If I had known APS-C back then, I would have invested in it. One of my weaknesses in life is I am too sentimental for my own good. I do enjoyed the MFT format and when it is gone, I will miss it badly.

The EVF
As for the EVF, it is not necessary to create great pictures but it is necessary for me as part of the photography experience. I feel a connection when I look thru the EVF, like I entered a zen like focus state. In street photography, the screen is good enough for 90% of the time. But when it comes to portrait shooting, the EVF is a must for me 90% of the time.

2nd, my eyesight is deteriorating as I aged. Couple with my preference for full manual lens, EVF is a real bonus. All these is in the context of when I shoot handheld. if shooting on a tripod, the EVF does not matter at all!

Hope I am able to answered the question you posted. Tks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you have the epl9 which Olympus stopped providing the accessory port at the flash hotshoe from which a viewfinder can be attached. You could have bought an om10 MK1 or 2 which is relatively affordable and built-in viewfinder.

Think OM-System will make a new Pen-f v2 with an updated sensor with a EVF like those rangefinder in the future?

Think OM-System will make a new Pen-f v2 with an updated sensor with a EVF like those rangefinder in the future?

Not much hope. The PEN line is been ‘cold storage’ aka discontinued. The Olympus/OM-S PEN and Lumix GF line were mainly targeted at the female users as reflected in their colour options. I feel these marketing alien the male population and plays a part in lower sales.

but then, never says never. Maybe in the near future, we will see an updated models of these 2 fun machines.

According to buymobiles.net
90.9% of 1.43 Trillion photos were taken in 2020 using mobile phones.
Digital cameras account for 7.3%
Tablets 1.8%

According to some Internet reports, tablets are being phased out.
That 1.8% will be taken up by phones or cameras.

Tough for camera manufacturers.
Before the advent of cameras on mobile phones, the world was the oyster of camera manufacturers.
Now more than 90% of their former market is gone.

Elsewhere it was reported that 90% of the people who have taken a photo, have only done it using a mobile phone.
They did not use / have never used, a stand alone separate camera.

How difficult it is for M43 to survive.
M43 is perhaps 1% of a rapidly diminishing (7.3%) pie?

Particularly for OMDS, it has a branding problem. New kid on the block and virtually unknown. (Founded 9 Oct 2020).
Other brands like Nikon, Canon, Leica have been around so long. Canon 86 years, Nikon 106 years, Leica 154 years.
It does not help for snake oil salesmen to say that OMDS is actually Olympus.

Which it is NOT.
They are entirely different legal entities.
Olympus made it a point to distance it self from OMDS, by prohibiting the use of the Olympus name after the OM-1 (digital).

If you are a consumer camera buying public, why should you buy into an unknown creepy Frankenstein named "brand" like OM System.
When you can choose from other established brand names that have many decades of history.

Walk into any camera shop / department store in Singapore.
What do you see?
Do you see big signboards saying "OM System"?
I think no.
Actually all over Singapore, sometimes you can still see signboards saying "Olympus" in the camera shops / department stores.
OMDS got a serious branding problem.

@ricohflex, you are either ignorant or trying to mislead the readers here.

The E-M1X is a very different camera from the A7III.
Don't keep looking thru your coloured lenses and think of big sensors and high resolutions only.

In case you are not aware, there is a category of SLRs for Sports, which need high FPS.
After Olympys introduced the Em1x, Canon subsequently released the 1DX Mk 3, keeping the resolution at about 20mp similar to the EM1x because higer resolution is not the main requirement here. And suddenly, the price of the Em1x looks very reasonable compared to the Canon.

Plus, the EM1x fires at 60 fps, the Canon at max 20 fps and the Sony 10 fps.

Sony A7 III launch price in April 2018 was US$1,999 (say US $2,000)
Olympus OM-D E-M1X launch price in Jan 2019 was US $2,999 (say, US $3,000)

If some one told you today, they want to sell you a new 1 room flat at a price much higher (1.5 times higher) than a new 4 room flat.
Will you think it is a good deal?

The sensor of the Sony full frame camera is 4 times bigger than the silly Olympus M43 camera.

So why were some camera buyers so dumb in 2019? Maybe a case of "sunken costs". Already dropped into the hole and trapped inside.
However, the very low World Wide market share of M43 means that consumers are not stupid anymore in 2023.
Consumers have awakened to the outrageousness of the deal. And they reject it.

Credit: cameradecision.com

sensor-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1X-Sony-Alpha-A7-III.png

This is great news. I know q few photographers have been waiting for the 50-200 F2.8 lenses.
Hopefully it retains the same sharpness as the current 40-150 F2.8 :)

With compatibility with the 1.4TC, this will provide M43 users with very usable range of
100-400 F2.8 (without TC) and
140-560 F3.92(F4) with the 1.4TC

Did anyone notice OMDS have been continuing to release new lenses and camera bodies?
Now JIP, which owns OMDS is an investment company. They will definitely not pump in more money if the sales of the previous products was not encouraging.
Even though with a 1-2% niche market share, I guess it is encouraging enough for JIP to continue :)

Why mirroless is the way for action photography, high frame rate, autofocus and composition.
Btw he has not used m43 @7:44
This may bring a smile to @ricohflex.:D

Oh NO!!!! I will be broke when it's comes true.

This is great news. I know q few photographers have been waiting for the 50-200 F2.8 lenses.
Hopefully it retains the same sharpness as the current 40-150 F2.8 :)

With compatibility with the 1.4TC, this will provide M43 users with very usable range of
100-400 F2.8 (without TC) and

Your cameras and lenses may cost more and long waiting times as USA and China go tit for that.
Camera companies are uncertain about new camera roll out it seems.

Why gallium and germanium are used in everyday items we know.

The USA Go Green, reduce carbon foot print will be hit.

7½ months after OM System OM-5 launch on 18 Nov 2022. Price drop.
B&H price USD$1,000. Less USD$200 from launch price of USD$1,200.
What to do? Cannot compete with rival products from competitors.

If you are a NEW buyer thinking of investing Loads of $$$ to build a system over the next 20 years.
Then this OM System OM-5 is bad news.
Don't even try.

The M43 format is as good as dead. It will eventually die.
When OMDS calls it a day. (it is probably a temporary creation to side step strict Japan labour laws when Olympus Camera Division was KOed)
When Panasonic Lumix decides to concentrate on Full Frame L mount products and let M43 wither away silently.

Sigma has wisely left the sinking ship and stop making M43 lenses.

Once again, m43 20mp. file cannot print big?

Consider your use case and caveats.

@ricohflex I am surprised you are totally ignorant of the fact that all manufacturers drop their prices after a while.
This is a market tactic called Creaming the Market as there are always deep pocket customers willing to pay a premium to be the first to own the latest product.

Sony has also dropped the price of its popular A7R5 by $900 after customers have pre-ordered.

I have already explained why OMDS has to rebrand the OM5 from the EM5 mk3 with minimal upgrades.
Because the EM5 mk3 was sold out and OMDS has to manufacture more, but do not want to keep the old name Olympus on the camera.
Hence, instead of spending time to create a big jump in features on the EM5 mk3, it release the OM5 with some software upgrades.
M43 users wanting a more capable camera can just go for the very popular OM-1.

7½ months after OM System OM-5 launch on 18 Nov 2022. Price drop.
B&H price USD$1,000. Less USD$200 from launch price of USD$1,200.
What to do? Cannot compete with rival products from competitors.

If you are a NEW buyer thinking of investing Loads of $$$ to build a system over the next 20 years.
Then this OM System OM-5 is bad news.
Don't even try.

The M43 format is as good as dead. It will eventually die.
When OMDS calls it a day. (it is probably a temporary creation to side step strict Japan labour laws when Olympus Camera Division was KOed)
When Panasonic Lumix decides to concentrate on Full Frame L mount products and let M43 wither away silently.

Sigma has wisely left the sinking ship and stop making M43 lenses.