What's a cheap/good/fuel efficient sedan car to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
go see see the latio too :p except that its slightly under powered
theres a CVT and non-CVT model, CVT smoother performance, not too much of a loss of power when going up slope as the engine keeps the rpm constant
f/c wise.. depends on how one drives too.. and where, on average 12km/litre, some people who drive slowly and patiently may get a little more
interestingly spacious inside though

Darn.. and I just passed mine? ;p

I'll probably bring my wife to go see the new Vios... No comments on the new vios so far or is tSkye comments on FC also valid for the new Vios? Can a baby seat go in comfortably?

Just passed? Har? No wonder you are in the "hot period" that BBB virus when you just got your licence and you start to justify the car. heheh... I have been there when I was about to take my first driving test. Weeks before that, I was already browsing the BMW 320 catalog back then heheheh....

You do know your baby would grow up and start to walk pretty darn quick but car instalment last for years and years...heheheh...

Hope the right car comes along for you that fit your purpose and budget man. :)

go see see the latio too :p except that its slightly under powered
theres a CVT and non-CVT model, CVT smoother performance, not too much of a loss of power when going up slope as the engine keeps the rpm constant
f/c wise.. depends on how one drives too.. and where, on average 12km/litre, some people who drive slowly and patiently may get a little more
interestingly spacious inside though

Yup alot depends on how you drive. Cars with too small an engine actually is never that fuel efficient as being under powered you tend to step on it more often then say a 1.6L like what megaweb mentioned. Some time you save in one way and you end up paying back in some other way.

Buying a new car? I can buy a L lens every month with that expenditure u know?

Assuming a brand new 1.5 liter car
Road tax :- $437.5 / 12mth = $36.46
Insurance :- Approx 1.5k for new driver with no NCD / 12 mth = $125
Monthly Season parking @ home (Assuming HDB MSCP) :- $96.3
Monthly Season parking @ work and Misc parking :- Approx $200
Servicing every 3 month :- Approx $90 / 3 month :- $30
Fuel per month :- Approx $280 (1 full tank every week @ ard $70)
Cashcard topup/month :- Approx. $50
Monthly Installment :- Approx $450 for 10 years.

Total :- Approx SGD$1267.76 / mth

And this is a very optimistic best case scenario without your car going to the workshop if there's any problem with it.
It is also assumed that your 10K downpayment for the car is your Parf you will get back at the end of the 10 year COE period effectively making the monthly installment your depreciation costs over the years and forgoing the intested that could be earned with this "downpayment" for the car.

To Klose: SX4 sedan? How's the FC? Given the rising fuel price, I put FC in a high priority.

suzuki_sx4.jpg

Not too sure about FC though....

And this is a very optimistic best case scenario without your car going to the workshop if there's any problem with it.
It is also assumed that your 10K downpayment for the car is your Parf you will get back at the end of the 10 year COE period effectively making the monthly installment your depreciation costs over the years and forgoing the intested that could be earned with this "downpayment" for the car.

Sigh... D3.... :cry:

Just passed? Har? No wonder you are in the "hot period" that BBB virus when you just got your licence and you start to justify the car. heheh... I have been there when I was about to take my first driving test. Weeks before that, I was already browsing the BMW 320 catalog back then heheheh....

You do know your baby would grow up and start to walk pretty darn quick but car instalment last for years and years...heheheh...

Hope the right car comes along for you that fit your purpose and budget man. :)

Actually, the feeing of need for a car when my wife was pregnant was what sparked me off to get a licence. Public transport is just too unfriendly and taxi is too expensive if you go through booking.

You drive like a tortoise.

You have YET to sit in my car. the pick up is indeed slow, but i get from A to Z in quick time.

:bsmilie:Brakes on all four wheels... which car does not have brakes on all four wheels!???

That is why I said I'm not technical mah... I only remember my friend ranting to me about how the new Vios has only two front brakes or something...

Remember to check this car thread on how much to spend per month to maintain a car

Is your company giving you car allowance ?

Where is your working place ? CBD ?

How much is the season parking ?

How much is the ERP charge daily ?

FC is depend on
a. Car itself
< 1.6 L gives good FC.

b. Driver driving style
Are you a heavy footer ? Yes, FC will be bad.

c. Road condition
During peak hour and traffic always jam, FC will be bad.

Staying in the east, now working in Jurong East but will be working in AMK next year. No car allowance, only fuel allowance if need to OT or come back to work during PH.

Workplace parking free. ERP for ECP $2.50 in the morning. Currently taking MRT back home in the evening, basically nearly 2h just to get home. Not much time for baby. :(

Basically, I want to know the car's intrinsic FC, given the same driving style, same road condition, which is more fuel efficient. The rising fuel price cannot be ignored if I really want to get a car.

Would it be better to go for minimum loan and pay the bulk of it with savings first? Or should just take up maximum loan? Which is the better option given that money value depreciates also.

You have YET to sit in my car. the pick up is indeed slow, but i get from A to Z in quick time.

I drove behind you. You moved off so slowly... I got stuck at the red light ;(;(

Darn.. and I just passed mine? ;p

I'll probably bring my wife to go see the new Vios... No comments on the new vios so far or is tSkye comments on FC also valid for the new Vios? Can a baby seat go in comfortably?

vios, fit, jazz, you wont go wrong.

as i've told you before, none of these cars can really take a baby seat 'comfortably'.
and yours is before 1 year old baby which means your child seat has to be back facing and it will even take up more space.your front passenger seat will have to move foward.if you have tall passengers, knees might hit the glove box.

Would it be better to go for minimum loan and pay the bulk of it with savings first? Or should just take up maximum loan? Which is the better option given that money value depreciates also.

take minimum loan.try and put as much as you can.
else, you will realise next time when you want to sell car, you may have to top up to sell it.(i'm not kiddin) a few friends of mine had faced that situation.

dont forget to include wear and tear.
these doesnt come cheap.pads, tyres, filters....blah.

vios, fit, jazz, you wont go wrong.

as i've told you before, none of these cars can really take a baby seat 'comfortably'.
and yours is before 1 year old baby which means your child seat has to be back facing and it will even take up more space.your front passenger seat will have to move foward.if you have tall passengers, knees might hit the glove box.

take minimum loan.try and put as much as you can.
else, you will realise next time when you want to sell car, you may have to top up to sell it.(i'm not kiddin) a few friends of mine had faced that situation.

dont forget to include wear and tear.
these doesnt come cheap.pads, tyres, filters....blah.

I agree with you sis. Good advise.

The Suzuki Swift is the Japanese mini copper..:bsmilie::bsmilie:

lsisaxon,

google this.you will love it.

nissan GTR

at 270k, it cost only a fraction of f430 scuderia, yet it can almost go on par with it from 0-100.

and it seats 4 comfortably!:p

The Suzuki Swift is the Japanese mini copper..:bsmilie::bsmilie:

I drove this before & didn't really liked the handling and the non sports version dos not have the punch in the engine. Could be just that unit that I drove. :dunno:

lsisaxon,

google this.you will love it.

nissan GTR

at 270k, it cost only a fraction of f430 scuderia, yet it can almost go on par with it from 0-100.

and it seats 4 comfortably!:p

GTR :thumbsup: Can only drool.

Actually, the feeing of need for a car when my wife was pregnant was what sparked me off to get a licence. Public transport is just too unfriendly and taxi is too expensive if you go through booking.

yo..I guess I can see what you mean lah ...well the news here is...here right now you not only have alot of input on the type of cars to get but also in case you need somr alternative thinking as to whether you over-think the scenarios with the baby. Your pride and joy and all that stuff...you mean well of course. So just take all this information and spend some time digesting it. I think what we need are more input from couple who had babies and were in your boat.

Those who bought a car for that same reason as you and were happy they got the car or those who did but were not or simply those who just got on with life as a family with baby in tow and still happy without a car. Your bundle of joy may not be your last one and there might be more to come hehe....but the most trying period is the early stages of the baby's life. Not an easy task man. ....

I see really no right or wrong to getting a car really., The important is, is the need really 'there'? I see the temptation due to up-to-10-yrs-instalment-plan being a big culprit tht cause alot of people to be stuck. These days for alot of people to end up with long term debts over a car is easy. While you still enjoy the car, driving around, paying those monthly instalment is fine..but after a year or so, the euphoria of owning your own car has subside and you see people with better cars or you see people with enough fund to buy something else and you are still counting down to how many more months(years) to go before you finish paying. It can get to you. I know it got to me years ago when I bought something and pay by instalment...i dreaded it after the thrill of playig with the new toy was over.

And if you want to sell the car later ,,like what Jeanie maentioned,,,you might have to top up as your resell value for the car is not good. And let's face it, if you end up with a china or korea or even certain brands/model...the value drops so fast it is scary. For me...I am happy to a ride in some of their exotic cars and I watch Top gear, Fifth Gear, Rides, Overhaulin' and whatever car documentary...I happy already man heheheheh

Just my two bits like everyone else. Make the right choice and hope its the right car for you man.

I drove this before & didn't really liked the handling and the non sports version dos not have the punch in the engine. Could be just that unit that I drove. :dunno:

GTR :thumbsup: Can only drool.

the previous swift GTI is a much more responsive car.

the current swift sports...ermm...dont buy lah.

top up to sell car = negative equity.

a common term linked to car owner ship nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.