What do you think about being a Budget photographer?

Actually I'm think if a pg starts Charging a fee for anyone interested 'to have the opportunity to be at a real event..' , there will still be many takers..lol

While some of you are still debating or continuing beating the death cow. A new thread has been created.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/serv...-photographer-product-studio-photography.html

$8 per hour. :bigeyes: And the photographer has been found.

There are many who love to take up the job despite low rate, or pay. You can continue to educate them but you just can't stop them.

i thought intern student always underpaid? :bsmilie:

Supply with a part-timer equipped with compact camera. Afterall, never mention need DSLR. :bsmilie:

Please do not start scolding my friend as I have told him what the market rate is; he understands but all he needs is a decent photographer and not a professional one. Decent as in able to take photos under low light conditions like in the ballroom. Furthermore, editing is most likely not needed.

Supply with a part-timer equipped with compact camera. Afterall, never mention need DSLR. :bsmilie:

Please do not start scolding my friend as I have told him what the market rate is; he understands but all he needs is a decent photographer and not a professional one. Decent as in able to take photos under low light conditions like in the ballroom. Furthermore, editing is most likely not needed.

I applaud your friend for paying $2.50 above McDonald's rate. In an era where cheap labour is cheaper than a dime a dozen, he is a life saver indeed.....

Wah 8/hr, might as well go Giordano work.

nitewalk said:
Wah 8/hr, might as well go Giordano work.

Haha. Giordano will also make CPF contributions. And maybe throw in a free Giordano t-shirt. I don't think you get either with the photography offer. Haha!

Now we are paying photographers according to the market rates like working as a sales assistant or waiter which is around $7-8 per hour. :bigeyes: I am speechless.

I did abt 2-3 jobs for this event co. client who was happy w my wrk, except always ask if I can be cheaper.. Then all went quiet.

So I go to their FB page and was shocked to find tht for abt 2 events, they've hired some Monkey to shoot totally failed photos that by any standards. All w/o flash even when neccesary, bad angles, underexposed, etc. I was laughing when I saw that. Imagine those are prob already the better ones for FB..

This mth I got a call ask if I'm avail for an event..lol

Sometimes, pay peanuts really can buy you a monkey, or two.. And they dont even perform...lol

But of course, its ok to shop ard for better price..no wrong. More supply.

And some of these guys Super gd customer service. 2hrs simple shoot can offer to meet client at location for scouting, then willing to arrive 1hr b4 to 'setup' and for briefing.. clap clap

I do wonder, has there been an increase in demand? As in more jobs? More weddings per yr, more events per yr?

And some of these guys Super gd customer service. 2hrs simple shoot can offer to meet client at location for scouting, then willing to arrive 1hr b4 to 'setup' and for briefing.. clap clap

I do wonder, has there been an increase in demand? As in more jobs? More weddings per yr, more events per yr?

Not sure if Singaporean are getting richer so whatever event also engage photographer or photography service becoming cheaper and cheaper so whatever event also engage photographer.

OoStarDustoO said:
Not sure if Singaporean are getting richer so whatever event also engage photographer or photography service becoming cheaper and cheaper so whatever event also engage photographer.

Perhaps now w FB, more co. wish to have photos frm their events to post?

But I also think more co. are asking their own staff to shoot with their own, very often high-end cam.

With more supply, photography getting cheaper is a definate downwards trend. Theres no way ard that.

Whats important is how you yourself can stand apart..

I did abt 2-3 jobs for this event co. client who was happy w my wrk, except always ask if I can be cheaper.. Then all went quiet.

So I go to their FB page and was shocked to find tht for abt 2 events, they've hired some Monkey to shoot totally failed photos that by any standards. All w/o flash even when neccesary, bad angles, underexposed, etc. I was laughing when I saw that. Imagine those are prob already the better ones for FB..

This mth I got a call ask if I'm avail for an event..lol

Sometimes, pay peanuts really can buy you a monkey, or two.. And they dont even perform...lol

I use to have a few clients like that as well, what I ask them was:
If the cheap photographer screw up, are you able to answer to your boss/client? or are you goingto spend a few hours doing PP for the photographer?
Does it do your company justice by putting up such sub-standard photos as your publicity? What happen if you loss the client?

In the end they still engage the "low budget" photographer for the whole event but also engage me for the important shots :bsmilie:

Last edited:
On a serious note

We will never be able to wipe away such low budget "demand & supply". There will always be the client/friend who think they can get a hobbist to shoot cheap and there will always be lots of photographers who think it is worth shooting for that amount of money as a side income. From their prospective it is a win-win situation. No amount of justification of equipt wear/replacement/investment will sway them as these are not a hobbist's concern. This is their prospective and we have to accept that we can't change it.

What we as a community can do is to inform the photographers that they may be taken for a ride, low cost do not mean low expectation, etc. We should also educate the clients/friend about the value of good photography, how it can help their business or impress their boss and how bad photography can screw up a happy event and come back to huant them in future. The boss/client/friend may say they just want some simple record shot but may curse and swear (in their heart?) that the photographer miss the ribbon cutting or the shot where the big boss/his client was patting his back for a job well done. These are priceless shot which the pros are train to capture and for some hobbist it is a hit or miss.

All said and done, if they don't take our advise, it's their choice but if they ask me to help them to get the cheap photographer, like helping them to post on CS, I'm not going to do it, how can I support something when I know that it is wrong?

Last edited:
On a serious note

We will never be able to wipe away such low budget "demand & supply". There will always be the client/friend who think they can get a hobbist to shoot cheap and there will always be lots of photographers who think it is worth shooting for that amount of money as a side income. From their prospective it is a win-win situation. No amount of justification of equipt wear/replacement/investment will sway them as these are not a hobbist's concern. This is their prospective and we have to accept that we can't change it.

What we as a community can do is to inform the photographers that they may be taken for a ride, low cost do not mean low expectation, etc. We should also educate the clients/friend about the value of good photography, how it can help their business or impress their boss and how bad photography can screw up a happy event and come back to huant them in future. The boss/client/friend may say they just want some simple record shot but may curse and swear (in their heart?) that the photographer miss the ribbon cutting or the shot where the big boss/his client was patting his back for a job well done. These are priceless shot which the pros are train to capture and for some hobbist it is a hit or miss.

All said and done, if they don't take our advise, it's their choice but if they ask me to help them to get the cheap photographer, like helping them to post on CS, I'm not going to do it, how can I support something when I know that it is wrong?

Nice thread summary for me..I agree

On a serious note

Exactly!! That's the very basic thing that all should do!! Shame to that TS's friend (that Shangri-la thread) and more shame to the one helping to fan the fire here.

That's not super good service, that's the very basic for anyone who wants to start paid services!

wakaowalao said:
That's not super good service, that's the very basic for anyone who wants to start paid services!

Not true lah. Different mkt segment out there..

2hrs shoot becomes 4hrs, if $40/hr which is already respectable rate, it becomes $20/hr.

Anyone noticed that the event has a photobooth? Perhaps they have already paid high for the photobooth which they think is more important and skimp on the event photography itself?

jetfynn said:
Anyone noticed that the event has a photobooth? Perhaps they have already paid high for the photobooth which they think is more important and skimp on the event photography itself?

But it doesn't make sense..... I have heard of skimping photographer but videographer, not skimping photographer for photo booth.....

But it doesn't make sense..... I have heard of skimping photographer but videographer, not skimping photographer for photo booth.....
more likely already confirm the photo booth liao but forgot about photographer, since photographers are so dirt cheap nowadays, ching ching chye chye give $100 sure can find somebody one.

free one also have.....